Sennheiser PX-100 vs. Grado SR-60?
Apr 28, 2004 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mshan

1000+ Head-Fier
How do the Sennheiser PX-100 compare to the Grado SR-60?

(I currently own Grado SR-60 with stock comfies and an M-Audio Revolution. I also use the Grado's with the audio out of my Sony laptop).

And which would be a better match for an iPod mini or Total Bithead?

Apr 28, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 12
While the PX100 is a nice portable and a good TV/Casual movie watching headphone, it will not hold a candle to the SR60. In its defense the PX100 is extreamly comfortable and has quite a lot of bass (if you happen to like that).

Do yourself a favor and get either the flat pads or the bowl pads instead of the comfies. Your SR60's will sound much better.

Apr 28, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 12
The best thing you can do for your SR-60s is to use scissors to cut a hole in the middle of your pads. The hole should be about the size of a quarter. This is called the Grado Quarter Mod.

This will really let a lot of the highs "sparkle" through your headphones. And it doesn't cost a dime.

Well, maybe you need to go and buy scissors.

Apr 28, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #5 of 12
SR60s.

Hands down.

I've been listening to my SR60s without the comfies on, just the bare cans on my ears. It's not at all umcomfortable, cause they fit loose on my ears. This is the best "mod" I've done to these cans. What a difference it made in sound. Or you can cut a hole in the middle of the comfies..

Apr 28, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 12
I don't own the PX100's, but I listened to a pair of my friends over the weekend. Compared to the SR60's, they were extremely dark. The Grados keep the good bass response, if a bit less boomy, and give much clearer midrange and highs. You'll hear much more detail with the Grados, they're much better cans, hands down.

Apr 28, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kent1146
The best thing you can do for your SR-60s is to use scissors to cut a hole in the middle of your pads. The hole should be about the size of a quarter. This is called the Grado Quarter Mod.

This will really let a lot of the highs "sparkle" through your headphones. And it doesn't cost a dime.

Well, maybe you need to go and buy scissors.

I did that mod recently.

Take off the pads... put them with the sides that touch your ears facing down.

Take a quarter, and put it exactly in the middle..

Then press down the quarter, and use an X-Acto knife to cut around it. It's kinda hard to cut so it may take several careful passes...

Apr 29, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 12
I haven't heard the Grado, but own the PX100 along with a couple of more expensive headphones. The PX100 is a great buy at under $40, but its strongest points are its portability and value for money. I will also add that it is very well built and relatively easy to drive. But it is certainly not an audiophile phone and you can do better if portability is not a concern.

However, if you do need an affordable portable headphone and don't need isolation, the Senn is a good choice.

Apr 29, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #10 of 12
-Several reasons to choose px100 over grado sr60:
comfort, low profile, foldable, bass, lightweight.... => portability and they're a bit cheaper
-Why you should go for Grados: sound quality
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #11 of 12
I have both the PX100 and the Sr-60. The Sr-60 has the flat pads, wich give them the best sound. The comfy pads are comfier but the sound is a little veiled. Avoid the bowl pads for the Sr-60, they make the little Grado sound like cheap screeching earbuds!

So the next lines referr to PX100 vs flat-GradoSr60.

Senns PX100:
The PX100 have a very good sound, they are for me one of the best value headphones Sennheiser ever made, they are only a little bassy (NOT boomy), beacause they are equalized for a "young" listening (well, I am young, but I don't like too much bass...
confused.gif
). They are very detailed, the best thing are the voices and the extension in highs. Their sound is also quick, non resonant, and very pleasant to listen to. They are also extremely comfortable. Neverthless, they are inferior to the Grados...

Grado Sr-60:
For me Grados are the best headphone if we talk about sound quality. Period. And the Sr-60 is a truly Grado. Their sound is more equilibrated than the sound of the Px100, and their mids are Grado mids... liquid, warm and detailed at the same time. But the thing that make all Grado headphones shine is the harmonic analysis of the sound of instruments. It's not that the PX100 is bad, it's the Grados that is unbeatable!

Hope this review was helpful.

Bye

Andrea

Apr 29, 2004 at 10:18 AM Post #12 of 12
I own the PX100 and listened to the GRado sr60 and compared them a while ago.

From what I remember when I did the PX100 vs. SR60 comparison:

I listened to both of them with the supplied pads, so no mods.
The detail is about the same BUT
The senns are so dark that the bass overpowers the mids so the detail seems less in the midrange.
And the treble is rolled of.

The grados have good bass but are not dark. The details in the midrange are far more upfront and seem to be more. At least it takes you a lot less effort to hear them.
The treble is not lacking and there's where the detail is better.

If you like a lot of bass and I mean A LOT then the px100s might be for you but it felt to me compared to the SR60s that they just stop being good headphones from the high midrange-low treble up. And that's exaclty where the SR60s shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back