Sennheiser PX 100 Upgrade with Similar Sound
Nov 2, 2007 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

iKonoKlast

100+ Head-Fier
I've never really been interested in headphones until I got an iPod recently. Prior to this the only real headphones I owned was the AKG 240 Studio. A few days ago I got a Sennheiser PX 100 to use as a portable set, but I realize that even when I'm at home and have to use 'phones, I grab for the PX 100s rather than the more expensive 240s. It could be the comfort and convenience... but I think it's really the sound. I hadn't noticed until now but the 240s have overbearing bass and everything just sounds more "metallic." The PX 100s just sound warmer and more like what comes out of a speaker.

So I guess I'm a fan of the Sennheiser sound. Based on what I've read, I should probably get the HD 595. However one thing I'm very sensitive to is a forward sounding high end, and the reviews that say the 595 is a little too bright are what hesitates me from buying that right away. When I was first looking for headphones long ago I decided to get the Sony MDR-7506 based on the positive reviews and flinched at the harsh "S" sounds. I returned it immediately and got the 240s. The 240s for me still have a bit of a fatiguing high end so I really want something that is smooth and warm with a tight bass.

I'll probably still keep the 240s and use the new pair as a second reference (I'm an occasional mixer for my band). Ideally I want something that's an upgrade from the PX 100s and holds a sonic character that would serve as the contrast to the AKG 240s, which to me are bassy, a little shrill, and lack depth in midrange. For now my budget is around $300... and something with a low ohm impedance is best for me, as I don't have a headphone amp.

Nov 2, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 10
i think your inclination is right, the 595 actually is the replica of the new PX100 sound but in higher quality form. I don't think the 595 is bright at all and maybe only a little flatter compared to the HD600/HD650 side of the sennheiser family.

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #3 of 10
HD595 are sweet cans, I demoed them awhile ago, ultra soft comfort around the ears & nice golden sound. I demoed alot of other cans at the same time. I picked SR80's cause they had the sound I wanted at the time. The SR80's I gave them a A rating, and the HD595's a B+. My review in more detail is on HF somewhere.

If I was going to upgrade from my PX100's I would get HD595's.

edit: found my review/comparison here

Nov 2, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 10
Hi!

I upgraded from PX100 to HD595 and for me this is really great. The HD595 were recommended as an allrounder here and that's what they are to me. Everything sounds better in comparison to the PX100. Maybe the bass is a bit shy but more precise.

Greets
Jonas

Nov 2, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for your replies... I'm on my way to get the HD 595s then.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 10
I made a similar post a few days ago and I ended up ordering some HD485s. The price was so cheap (in the UK at least) I thought it was worth a go. I'm sure the 595s will be more detailed phones (which may or may not be what you're after) but I'll let you know how the 485s compare to the PX100s. Should be arriving tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back