Sennheiser PX 100 & PX 200
Sep 6, 2005 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Melik

100+ Head-Fier
I'm planning to buy the sennheiser px 100 or the px 200 for my DAP, but i dunno wich i should buy...

is there any difference between them ?
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif

or would you recommend them ? are they confortable ? do they sound good etc...

would be cool if you post your experience with them
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 16
I never really had any "good headphones" before these. i originally bought the px100 and thought they sounded great, but they leaked like crazy, and way too much for the morning bus commute. Returned em, threw in the extra few bucks and got the 200s. Sound was not as good to me at first, but i got used to it after a bit and they do a decent job of isolation and dont leak much at all and sound good to me. wish i could compare it to another set of phones for you, but yea.

Sep 6, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 16
PX200 are closed phones. PX100 are open. It translates into: PX200 may offer a bit better isolation than PX100 at the cost of lower sound quality (in terms of sound quality PX200 is a downgrade from PX100).

I own PX100 and I must say they sound very nice. However, if you can afford (not so much more expensive) Grado SR60 (or maybe even SR80) they offer much better sound. I use PX100 almost exclusively for jogging. For general portable use I prefer Grado SR80.

Sep 6, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 16
xDFuNK, thank you.

pbalcer,

Yeah, but is there much difference between them (sound quality) ??

and wich one would you recommend.

btw. the grado SR60 - SR80 are quite cool but the look so ''uncomfortable'' ''unportable'' and ''unfoldeble''
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melik
xDFuNK, thank you.

pbalcer,

Yeah, but is there much difference between them (sound quality) ??

and wich one would you recommend.

btw. the grado SR60 - SR80 are quite cool but the look so ''uncomfortable'' ''unportable'' and ''unfoldeble''
biggrin.gif

There is a big difference between PX100 and Grados. In comparison PX100 sounds too bass-heavy/bloated and dark. Grados are much better balanced and engaging. The difference between SR60 and SR80 is not very big but I think SR80 sound more 'open' (less vailed due to different pads?) with tighter bass.

Yes, you can't fold Grados. You can turn the cups and put them flat, though. Grados need more space than PX100 when caried around but I don't think they are more fragile. In fact, I think SR80 are sturdier than PX100 (especially after I put a little bit of glue where cables meet the cans).

Comfort issue is a personal thing. When I first got SR80 the pads were rubbing my ears. After couple of weeks I got used to Grados and now I can listen to them for hours without too much fatigue. (I think there was a thread describing the phenomena: over time the headband looses its clamping force and the pads soften a bit in touch with the skin.)

The SR80 is my favourite headphone to use "on the go". Except in two situations: 1) during jogging (SR80 simply wouldn't stay on my head... - that was the main reason for getting PX100) and 2) when commuting (SR80 do not offer any sound isolation).

Sep 6, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 16
The sound from the PX200 is very dependant on getting a good closed fit around the ear. Once that is achieved and properly amped they sound very good with excellent bass.

Sep 6, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 16
Another vote for PX100's. I could not imagine a lighter, more comfortable, excellent sounding, $40 pair of portable phones. Read what Headroom has to say. They could certainly sell you more expensive phones and would recommend them if they were better. Impossible to get a good seal is what I have always heard.

Sep 6, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 16
pbalcer, i mean the difference between the both senn's
wink.gif

btw. i can imagine how good the grados are and how excellent they sound - but they're a lil bit to xpensive and big for me
wink.gif

but thank you.

zatara,

So shall i buy the 100's or the 200's ?

schwarzeneger, what about the price , and how do the AKG's sound ???

i think the most of you say that i should buy the 100's right ?

Sep 6, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #11 of 16
I picked up a pair of PX 100's yesterday and I'm going to have to take them back. Too much sound leakage both ways, went nuts listening to conversations on the bus today and the woman in front of me was singing along to whatever she was listening to. Don't think they're going to sound any better than my modified Porta-Pro's even after they're properly burned in so back they go. Man, I'd love to find a decent pair of closed cans that size but I don't think they exist. May just have to settle for a pair of dual driver canalphones but damn......
The search continues.....

Sep 6, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 16
I use the PX-100 for biking to work, excellent. I also tried the PX-200, expecting it to better shield wind noise (I can't stand biking slowly
icon10.gif
). However the reverse is the case as noise is produced by wind hitting the plastic enclosures. Sound wise the PX-100 wins hands down. I just received my Shure E4s for when I need shielding (for myself or others) as this is something the PX-100 does not do.

Sep 6, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #13 of 16
I like the PX-100s but they are open head phones so they don't do anything to block noise. If blocking noise is critical you probably want to look elsewhere.
The Grados are nice but pretty large and hard to store on the go. I think one of the bonuses with the PX-100's is that they fold up and slip into a hard plastic case and can be tossed into a travel bag, laptop case etc... without much concern.

Sep 7, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #14 of 16
One vote to PX200.
It sound balance. it so comfortable to wear it.
I use it in train when i travel to work everyday... It give me reasonable isolation. PX200 is very good in soft music. So funny when listen to Heavy Rock.

Sep 7, 2005 at 11:39 AM Post #15 of 16
hmm thats hard...

wich one to choose...

actually i wan't them because the normal earphones are falling off my ear...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back