Sennheiser px-100 or cx-300
Jul 13, 2006 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

StevenBrouwer

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I simply can't chose between this two. I've read so many about them, that im getting a headache of chosing one.... I hope you people can help me out.
frown.gif

So I'm planning to buy a Iaudio G3 512 mb. But i don't now which headphone I can buy best with it.
The px100 will cost an additional €50,- and the cx300 €35,-. But price isn't that much of an issue.

Soundquality seem to be the same.

I myself think the cx-300 are the best pick, because of the portability. They are very little and can be put in your pocket and they are better because they block out environmental sound, though things start to sound strange when I put my fingers in my ear....
Besides I think the px-100 gives me hot ears, but give me higher comfort when wearing a long time.
Best would be when I don't notice I'm wearing a headphone..

But my parents tell me that putting something (cx300) far in your ear for a long time is very unhealthy. But on the internet i can't find information about the possible effects on health of IEM's. So are they bad for your ear?

I intend to use the headphone on the bike, when im sitting in the train and laying on bed with one ear on the pillow....

I hope you people can help me.
biggrin.gif

I really need to know if in-ears have bad effect for your ears, apart from the high volume.

I know comfort is personal, but I would like to hear your opinions about it.

Thanks for reading this!

Jul 13, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 13
for your purposes, i'd go with the in-ear option. they do an okay job of blocking out noise on the train, and are comfortable to lay down with. you can probably get away with using it when riding a bicycle, though i would not recommend it, as it's a safety issue.

as for having iem's stuck inside your ear, i think your parents are just paranoid. keep in mind that some users have reported having a tip stuck inside their ears when removing canalphones, but they are not the norm. the other concern is that you might damage your hearing if you have transducers so close to the eardrums and if you play at a higher volume, it will damage hearing.

Jul 14, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 13
Go for the PX-100. They sound much better, and for your purposes, you won't need the isolation (especially biking... much safer if you can hear what's going on around you). As far as sleeping on your side, it's probably a draw between the two. For all other times, the PX-100 will be more comfortable. They're so light, you'll forget they're there.

Oh yeah, and the CX-300s have terrible microphonics (that's when sound is conducted to your ears when you knock the cable around). They suck for running, so they'd probably suck for biking too.

Yeah, go with the PX-100.

Jul 14, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 13
I bought the CX300 a while back. Packaged it up to be returned to Amazon the very next day. Terribly strong hiss when the music is silent.

And your parents are wrong about in-ear-monitors being unhealthy.

Jul 14, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 13
I'd go for the px100's. Sound quality will be in a different league. As for portability, the px100's can fold up nicely and are very durable. I've heard the cx300's and I'll just say I wasn't that impressed.

Jul 14, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 13
yea i went fo the CX300 awhile back over the PX100, i dont regret it however but there are a few drawbacks mentioned earlier like microphonics and such.

sound quality wise however i believe they are about the same, with proper burn in the CX300s are in same ways better than the px100, but considering your needs id say you wont be disapointed with the px100s

Jul 14, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #8 of 13
Thx guys. Px100 it is! You made this so much easier for me to decide.
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #10 of 13
I have both, but I find myself reaching for the PX100s more often. The CX300 can sound very impressive, but on other occasions the highs are too lively and the sibilances uncontrolled. I never have that problem with the PX100s. I cycle and use MX500 earbuds for that, as I can't put a helmet on when I'm wearing the PX100s. I think canal phones can make horrible noises in the ears when one does anything very physical. There is a user here who reported that he couldn't use that type of phone when jogging for that reason. I don't know whether that applies to cycling. Also, it's disappointing that Sennheiser don't supply any sort of case with the CX300s. The cases with the MX500s and PX100s make them so practical.

I do think the CX300 is a very good phone for the price, but I think it is more source-dependent than the PX100, and if the source is sending out bad and uncontrolled highs you will hear them with the CX300s.

Jul 14, 2006 at 11:45 AM Post #11 of 13
I have both headphones. It's true, the CX 300 has a strong hiss that's especially noticeable and disturbing when it comes to quiet sound passages. Generally I pay attention to listen at safe volume levels. But that hiss works against this. I know that hiss is caused by the source, but my MP3 player is an iPod nano, which doesn't have the worst sound quality, and there's almost no hiss with my two PX 100s. There shouldn't be disturbing hiss with headphones that are made for use with portable players. Finally, as mentioned before, there's no case included. For € 69,- (that's what you have to pay in Germany), that's just disappointing.

In my opinion, one shouldn't overestimate the PX 100's portability. I wouldn't carry them without the case, which is quite big after all.

Jul 14, 2006 at 12:09 PM Post #12 of 13
well i odnt actually own the PX100 so i cant give practical opinions. the hiss isnt that bad on my cx300, yes it is audible, but thats how i tell wether my ipod is off or just on pause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back