Sennheiser PX-100/200
Nov 23, 2008 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Hawkinsliam

New Head-Fier
I've done some searching and haven't found to much on these forums about them. I'm looking for a new pair oh headphones/First pair of good ones. Mostly used for travel but for home use also, I found the PX100 and 200 both of which had very good reviews on other sites. Would one of those be a good choice for a first pair?

Nov 23, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 11
Yes the Sennheiser PX 100 is a great entry-level headphone, best bang-for-the-buck from the budget Sennheisers IMO
smily_headphones1.gif

I've had the chance to compare my PMX 200 (neckband version of the PX 200) with the PX 100, and the PX 100 is the winner in every sound quality aspect (if only slightly, though). The only reason why I still chose the 200 model, was because I wanted the isolation and less sound leakage it provides.

As you can see, the PX 200 isn't on our Buyer's Guide, since there are other closed headphones to top it at it's pricepoint. However, the PX 100 can be found from the guide, and it's a very loved headphone, it deserves its place on the recommendations list
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 11
I've got one and I have to say that it's a great 'phone. A bit flimsy feeling(especially the damn cable) but light, very portable with that folding feature and the case, and of course all that while still sounding great to my relatively audio-noob ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anvil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A bit flimsy feeling(especially the damn cable)

Yeah, but the cable is something that at this pricepoint isn't great in any 'phone. Multiple protective layers on the cable cost several dollars more, and they would also bring more weight to it, so it's natural that the cable is how it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 11
PX200 is not that highly regarded, most of the 100's charm gets ruined in the closed enclosure.

If you google search PX100 on this site (top right corner under search) about a years worth of reading will come up. No shortage of love for PX100 here.

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 11
Obviously I have very little knowledge when it comes to headphones and the like, but I've read a bit about them and the only down side to them that I've seen is that they have very little isolation. How would their isolation compare to a pair of Ipod headphones?

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 11
You must mean the earbuds that come with all Apple iPod players. I guess they have some isolation, but since they're not IEM's with a sealed fit, and they're very low quality stuff, I'd say the isolation still isn't much.

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #9 of 11
PX100 if u dont care about isolation and sounds much better than the Closed PX200 (which prevents sound leaking)

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 11
Yeah, but then again, (and this is coming from a person who has HD 650's as his main headphones) I just came from a hike, and I hiked listening to my PMX 200's, and I gotta tell you, these are in no way bad phones for the price either. The thing is, if you are active with them, or use them in noisy public places, you're going to be happier with some isolation
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 11
Time to be the voice of dissent.

I've never head the PX-200, so I won't say anything about it.

I did own the PX-100, and the best I can say is I liked it. It wasn't anything special, but it was a solid phone for a cheap price and I liked that it folded up small into the case.

They became expendable for me when I bought my KSC-75, and I ended up selling them to a coworker. The KSC-75, in turn, got replaced by the PortaPro because I wanted something that didn't have a tinny ringing sound under heavy bass load.

All three (PX-100, KSC-75, and PortaPro) are open headphones and don't offer much in the way of isolation. On the flip side, they all sound better than closed cans at the same price range, as far as I've heard.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd get the PortaPro and not bother with the other two. They're definitely my choice for $40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back