Sennheiser pricing logic
Apr 29, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #47 of 49

Quote:

Considering I started the thread, I'd say it's on topic.

OK let's give it go then. 

Your first post on this subject was #34 on this thread.  In that post you referenced a graph that purported to show the price in Euros of the HD 650 in Holland from Jan. 2010 to sometime near the current day, under where you wrote:

"I see an immediate price drop after it's initial release, and then a slow steady incline in price over two years. What exactly is standard about that? Name me one other form of electronics that doesn't slowly decline in price over time."

Problem #1: the HD 650 was released in late 2003.  Thus the graph starts more than six years after this can was released--not at its release as you state.

Problem #2: assuming the graph is accurate, it reflects the sales in a very small market (Holland), which is in no manner comparable to the the U.S.and/or North American market where the Senn MAP is being imposed and enforced.

Result: your entire argument falls because the facts on which you rely do not show the price of the HD 650 at any point near its release date.  The earliest date shown is more than six years after release!  Any activity shown by this graph reflects a product that was already on the market for 6 years, one month (at the beginning of the graph) and 8 years, 5 months (+/- a month) at the end of it.

Only thereafter do we get into the irrelevant sidebar of whether or not headphones are "electronics" which you define in you post #36 as:

"They have circuits in them, they use electricity. Seems to meet the definition of electronics to me."

My response is that lamps are included under your definition of "electronics".  My view is that headphones are not "electronics" because they are not plugged into an electric socket or battery, and they are instead akin to speakers in both function and market shelf life and value trends.

Discussing the example of computers, we agree that all "electronics"--regardless of whose definition is used--do not exhibit the same market shelf lives or value trends.  They will vary from product to product.

Result: Tempest in a teapot.  The definitional dispute over the meaning of "electronics" has nothing to do with price analysis of the HD 650 over time in any market.  That story began in late 2003 and continues through and beyond today.

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #48 of 49

Quote:

OK let's give it go then. 

Your first post on this subject was #34 on this thread.  In that post you referenced a graph that purported to show the price in Euros of the HD 650 in Holland from Jan. 2010 to sometime near the current day, under where you wrote:

actually, my first post on the subject was the one that started the thread, in which I pointed out Amazons prices from 2010 to 2012.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back