Sennheiser Orpheus, Stax Omega, Grado PS1, RS1 vs planar headphones
Sep 1, 2021 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

greenhorn

Headphoneus Supremus
How do compare headphones like Sennheiser Orpheus or Stax Omega I or Grado PS1 with planar headphones like the top lines of Audeze, Meze, Hifiman etc.?

Anyone having heard them all and able to make a comparison?

Sep 1, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 13
I heard almost every TOTL headphone out there but unfortunately dont know where to start or how to answer your question.
Its like "how do apples, bananas and peaches taste compared to pears, cherries and mangos."

It might help us if you could explain why you group the Orpheus (HE1?), the Stax Omega 1 and two random Grados together in the first place.

Would gladly give more input if I can :)

Sep 1, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 13
I heard almost every TOTL headphone out there but unfortunately dont know where to start or how to answer your question.
Its like "how do apples, bananas and peaches taste compared to pears, cherries and mangos."

It might help us if you could explain why you group the Orpheus (HE1?), the Stax Omega 1 and two random Grados together in the first place.

Would gladly give more input if I can :)
The reasons for grouping those together are the followings:
- many years ago they were considered to be the absolute best of the respective brands;
- I had the privilege to be able to listen to all of them (and I so much liked what I heard :));
- I think I have noticed that nobody seems to care about them anymore nowadays;
- I wonder whether I should take the plunge for one of the much-discussed (and very expensive) planar flavours of the day or just continue to enjoy my Grados and my Bowers & Wilkins P9 :) (… and continue to look around for a Stax Omega I).

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 13
A lot to cover here but I'll try:
- The original orpheus is still up there with the very best
- Same goes for the Stax Omega - still one of the best electrostats around
- The Grados didn't keep their spot that well, there are much better dynamic headphones around nowadays if you ask me. Of course there are always those who just like the Grado house sound.
- Planars have come a long way but except the Hifiman Susvara and Abyss headphones still cant keep up with electrostats when it comes to detail and speed. Audeze and Meze Planars are not even close but have other merits like great bass.
- In the end its all about preferences, music style, system synergy so take all of the above with a grain of salt
- Last but maybe most important: dont buy megabuck headphones without having heard them first .... plus if you enjoy what you have I'd just stick with that :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 13
- The Grados didn't keep their spot that well, there are much better dynamic headphones around nowadays if you ask me. Of course there are always those who just like the Grado house sound.
- Planars have come a long way but except the Hifiman Susvara and Abyss headphones still cant keep up with electrostats when it comes to detail and speed. Audeze and Meze Planars are not even close but have other merits like great bass.
- In the end its all about preferences, music style, system synergy so take all of the above with a grain of salt
- Last but maybe most important: dont buy megabuck headphones without having heard them first .... plus if you enjoy what you have I'd just stick with that :wink:
Thanks very much for this excellent summary and for your advice as well.

I surely belong to the Grado fans category for rock, so far I haven’t heard any other headphone to bring me there in the front row at a Stones gig 😁

I saw there isn’t much love for B&W headphones here, I am surprised but maybe my ears fail me. Because I consider them great headphones, all the product line, and in particular the P7 and the P9.

And I hope to get a Stax Omega one day 🙂

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 13
That is a good summation.

Sep 1, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 13
I circled around Stax and other headphones…all I can say is that phones are meaningless without a good amplifiers, and a good amplifier is meaningless without a good analog source….and analog sources are meaningless without good recordings (vinyl or digital)….and if you are using digital ….you will only have good performances with a proper DAC and digital transports…. The list goes on

You can spend all you want, but it will come down to this

* Balances * be it, between conveniences / performances / prices / practicality / maintenances

There are so many ways that lead to Rome, but where is your Rome ? That will be the ultimate question. Unfortunately, to many people, they won’t get it until they spend a heck load of money to experiences it. Some people would call it “the destination is meaningless, the journey is what worth it”. Some people would look toward others who has the means to provide experiences to trim down the money being spent, which is also smart way to conduct your own journey.

IME, I settled with Sennheiser HD800S. Yes, Sennheiser might have learned from Stax for their ElectroStats, but others still have a lot to learn from Sennheiser Dynamic driver headphones. People can tell you all about the peaks/resonances/sibilants/harshness from the 800S. But look at what I just said from the beginning of this post
Learn where your Rome is, learn to compromise, only then, you will arrive at your ultimate answer . Unfortunately, for your question, there is no one correct answer, except your own. So, where is your Rome ?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #8 of 13
I guess the SR-X9000 may settle this. Provided that it will sound as expected, no need to risk going for an Omega anymore (or it may be something else again).

Since you probably don't have an idea about how an Omega might sound, you can also try the SR-007Mk1 (with an SRM-717 or modified SRM-727II) to get a taste of what the Omega sounds like for a reasonable cost, there are distinctive differences, but overall they aren't miles apart with a similar character in my opinion.

https://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Headphones/Stax/SR-Omega-vs.-SR-007-Omega2/general/80474.html

This is not a bad description of how they compare (I don't necessarily agree on all the points).
I have copied the text and removed the formatting errors, so anyone can re-read the article by opening the attachment.

Attachments

• darth_nut_omega.doc
    64.5 KB · Views: 0
Sep 16, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #9 of 13
No. Do avoid the STAX amplifiers as any introductory frame of reference, they simply aren't good enough.

Sep 16, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #11 of 13
I guess the SR-X9000 may settle this. Provided that it will sound as expected, no need to risk going for an Omega anymore (or it may be something else again).

Since you probably don't have an idea about how an Omega might sound, you can also try the SR-007Mk1 (with an SRM-717 or modified SRM-727II) to get a taste of what the Omega sounds like for a reasonable cost, there are distinctive differences, but overall they aren't miles apart with a similar character in my opinion.

https://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Headphones/Stax/SR-Omega-vs.-SR-007-Omega2/general/80474.html

This is not a bad description of how they compare (I don't necessarily agree on all the points).
I have copied the text and removed the formatting errors, so anyone can re-read the article by opening the attachment.
Thanks very much. True, I never heard an Omega. I heard the Sennheiser Orpheus (liked it enormously) and the Stax Lambda Nova Signature (too unforgiving with less-than-perfect recordings).

I had no idea that Stax has just released a new flagship. Probably this will lead to price decrease for the Omegas…

Sep 16, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #12 of 13
The Grado PS-1 was a special limited edition model that was only officially released in Germany but could find used on head-fi. Even though I haven’t heard them in years, I’d say they probably sound a little similar to Focal Utopia. They were very fast, punchy, and revealing headphone. Bigger soundstage than RS-1 and were more resolving. I have fond memories of the RS-1 but don’t think it’s on the same level of the current offerings. I also didn’t care for the Grados that came out with the giant bagel pads. The PS-1 was way better than the PS-1000.

Sorry can’t answer the question about the current planar headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 13
Yes I am sorry to say for me personally the HE90 Orpheus is superior to the Omega in the crucial things that matter to me (realism and dynamics), but there are plenty of things where the Omega is clearly ahead (chief among which is bass response, stronger, deeper and incredibly textured, also better separation despite keeping a huge soundstage and insane resolving power)

I don't think Omega values will be affected if you can't get them anywhere, the SR-009 only increased their recognition and value, there may be people where money isn't an issue, they get the X9000 first and then try to collect the Omega to sit next to it, they still have that timeless beautiful design, and the X9000 won't sound identical so it can't win in every aspect, there is always a compromise.
On paper, the SR-009 is supposed to steamroll the Omega with way better control of resonances & internal reflections, and yet it doesn't sound better (to my ears anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back