Sennheiser Orpheus questions
May 2, 2004 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

gort

100+ Head-Fier
There's some impressions and reviews about them at head-fi but I couldn't find any recent availability information about them. I know Sennheiser discountinued them and how hard will it be to find a fully working used one? Where is the best place to find them? If there is a seller what's a fair price for the system? Does Sennheiser still support them or are owners on their own?

I read a post about them saying Orpheus system cost was $14,000 (new I am assuming) and pondering about maybe buying it by downgrading my car. Hope Kias aren't that bad.

May 2, 2004 at 9:14 AM Post #2 of 17
May 2, 2004 at 10:14 AM Post #3 of 17
jatinder said as far as he knew Sennheiser still had three(?) for sale I think. he said £9,000 each, which actually works out at $16,000...! I don't think I could justify £9,000 for one. Maybe £5K.

May 2, 2004 at 11:04 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gort
I am pondering about maybe buying it by downgrading my car. Hope Kias aren't that bad.

LOL, that would make a good sig.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

May 2, 2004 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 17
You could also consider purchasing an HE-90 headset which are supposedly still available and have an amp custom built for it. Kevin Gilmore's Blue Hawaii amp would do nicely.

I might be willing to drive a Kia for a setup like that.

May 2, 2004 at 11:26 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
jatinder said as far as he knew Sennheiser still had three(?) for sale I think. he said £9,000 each, which actually works out at $16,000...! I don't think I could justify £9,000 for one. Maybe £5K.

Sennheiser has delivered the last three Orpheus last year to Sennheiser dealers. One is sold, two are available. And "demo models" are still in stock at some stores.

Buy this one:
http://members.chello.nl/~f_vandijk/...aanbieding.htm

They will drop the price under 6.000 Euro, I'm sure.

Roby

May 2, 2004 at 11:29 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
You could also consider purchasing an HE-90 headset which are supposedly still available

A used one at Ebay maybe, but not a knew one from Sennheiser.

Roby

May 2, 2004 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by robythecat
Sennheiser has delivered the last three Orpheus last year to Sennheiser dealers. One is sold, two are available. And "demo models" are still in stock at some stores.

Buy this one:
http://members.chello.nl/~f_vandijk/...aanbieding.htm

They will drop the price under 6.000 Euro, I'm sure.

Roby

well,well,
Sounds good!
but I can not find their email address?!
And the reason is I can not understand the language?!
rolleyes.gif

May 2, 2004 at 12:31 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by zcx
well,well,
Sounds good!
but I can not find their email address?!
And the reason is I can not understand the language?!
rolleyes.gif

Hi, near the bottom of the linked page there is a word "terug" (means back in english) use this to go back to the main page where you can find the big graphic @ sign near the bottom which you can use to email.

Hope this gets you along.

May 2, 2004 at 12:37 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spent&Bent
Hi, near the bottom of the linked page there is a word "terug" (means back in english) use this to go back to the main page where you can find the big graphic @ sign near the bottom which you can use to email.

Hope this gets you along.

Thanks!
Of course, this is helpful to me.
orphsmile.gif

BTW, for the Orpheus,
IMO, this is a better place to get a new system with a good price

http://www.djaudiosuperstore.com/det...eiser_HE-HEV90

May 2, 2004 at 1:10 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
You could also consider purchasing an HE-90 headset which are supposedly still available and have an amp custom built for it. Kevin Gilmore's Blue Hawaii amp would do nicely..

It isn't that simple. They are Electrostatic headphones and they require 500 volts to operate, as do most electrostatic speakers. In other words, the HE-90's are useless without the matching amp.....

May 2, 2004 at 1:31 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by wickeddigital
It isn't that simple. They are Electrostatic headphones and they require 500 volts to operate, as do most electrostatic speakers. In other words, the HE-90's are useless without the matching amp.....

The Blue Hawaii is designed for electrostatic 'phones and by some accounts is better than the amp supplied with the Orpheus.

May 2, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #14 of 17
Wow. $16000 for new one. I was hoping for under $10000 for a used one. Selling my car might be drastic but I was thinking of selling it anyway when payments are up in 6 months from now. Only 6000 miles on it so far.

May 2, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #15 of 17
you gonna post it in the fs forum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back