Sennheiser Orpheus Headphones spotted at CES 2013 - Audio Nirvana
Jan 15, 2013 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

theblackfox

New Head-Fier

A friend was at CES and wrote an article on the Sennheiser Orpheus High End System. It was at this years CES 2013 in Las Vegas

"In celebration of its relentless 'Pursuit of Perfect Sound,' Sennheiser displays its legendary Orpheus headphones at its booth during CES 2013. Also known as the HE90, the Orpheus debuted in 1991 and was immediately recognized in audiophile circles as the best sounding, most innovative headphone system ever made. Indeed, it is still considered by many to represent the very pinnacle of audio reproduction."

He wrote a longer article about it. If you would like to read it is on downunderaudio.com
http://www.downunderaudio.com/sennheiser-orpheus-headphones-at-ces-2013.html#.UPTg3m_qlhs

Just thought I Would share :)

BTW what does everyone else think of this?
I can't believe only 300 were made and now they are selling three times the release price!!!

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 17
many many many of us have heard the system in general.  i know a few people actually heard the example at CES - there's a thread in the headphone forum

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 17
I see no point in Sennheiser showing the Orpheus system when they discontinued it sometime ago. Also if some think the HE90's were and still are the best headphones ever made, then why would Sennheiser design and build headphone that might be less so. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
I see no point in Sennheiser showing the Orpheus system when they discontinued it sometime ago. Also if some think the HE90's were and still are the best headphones ever made, then why would Sennheiser design and build headphone that might be less so. 

Like everything else, they design other headphones for different market.  The HD800 is an incredible dynamics but too some it is just too sterile and accurate.  IMO, the Orpheus is still the best phones made by Sennheiser.  I'm sure the successor of the HD800 or their up-an-coming Stats (?) may really narrow the gap.  

Like you, I'm a big fan of the SR009 and really think that they are technically better than the Orpheus; however, many still think the Orpheus is more musical albeit being less transparent & accurate.  

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #8 of 17
I've never heard the HE90 so I can't comment about it's SQ, and while I like the 009, there are a couple of things I'm not keen about it. I'm going to try and sort out one of the problems I have with it, the other I'll just have to live with, although I'm hoping the 009's driven by the Aristaeus which I've on order will make that problem less so.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #9 of 17
oh my, look at the picture with the amp shot from above, the second one

i don't really care how it sounds, i just want that piece of art, a mirror must be mandatory while listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #10 of 17
So what is the point of parading their TOTL gear from 22 years ago?
To show how good they once were?

Sennheiser needs to step it up - get some 'momentum' going again and develop a new line of stats.
Something that us mere mortals can aspire to

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
So what is the point of parading their TOTL gear from 22 years ago?
To show how good they once were?

Sennheiser needs to step it up - get some 'momentum' going again and develop a new line of stats.
Something that us mere mortals can aspire to

KG & Spritzer have been saying the new stats are in the work but it may not be as good as the Orpheus.  Seriously if they can make a new one for around 4k, they will see a good market.  The SR009, priced at 5.2k, seem to be enjoying a good sale.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

KG & Spritzer have been saying the new stats are in the work but it may not be as good as the Orpheus.  Seriously if they can make a new one for around 4k, they will see a good market.  The SR009, priced at 5.2k, seem to be enjoying a good sale.

Yeah but KG and Spritzer also said that Senn would announce or at least officially hint about their new stats at CES this year, and yet in reality they are planning for a HD800-successor but have no idea what tranducer type to use yet. So I don't know the credibility of those claims about there being a new stat.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

What they need to do is develop a new stat that can compete with the sr009 and maybe even beat it and release it at around 4-5k, stax is dominating and it needs some competition.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
Yeah but KG and Spritzer also said that Senn would announce or at least officially hint about their new stats at CES this year, and yet in reality they are planning for a HD800-successor but have no idea what tranducer type to use yet. So I don't know the credibility of those claims about there being a new stat.

I'm at loss at well, but it may take them more time to finalize the product.  Stax had postponed their released as well.

Quote:
What they need to do is develop a new stat that can compete with the sr009 and maybe even beat it and release it at around 4-5k, stax is dominating and it needs some competition.

Knowing Senn, they will probably want more for it.

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
I'm at loss at well, but it may take them more time to finalize the product.  Stax had postponed their released as well.

Knowing Senn, they will probably want more for it.

So there'll be the SR009 at 5k, then Senn will release its stats for say $6k, and then suddenly Hifiman releases its Jade Mk 2 for $3k and the stats market gets hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back