Sennheiser Orpheus HE 90 vs. HE 1 - Impressions of a direct comparison
Feb 23, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #136 of 153
I got my he-1 secondhand too .
I wanted to buy a new one, but sennheiser has been ghosting my emails for like months.

Have been trying to get a new set of pads and headband from them but……same result.

Hope they sort their he-1 support team soon enough.
Rofl. My he1 broke in shipping and it took 5 months to even get a single email responce so I could pay to have it fixed.

Honestly, for anyone considering an he1, I'd consider it discontinued and unsupported at this point. They may eventually help (finaly got a good CS agent and it's being repaired) but don't plan on it.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #137 of 153
Rofl. My he1 broke in shipping and it took 5 months to even get a single email responce so I could pay to have it fixed.

Honestly, for anyone considering an he1, I'd consider it discontinued and unsupported at this point. They may eventually help (finaly got a good CS agent and it's being repaired) but don't plan on it.

How many times did you message them during that span?
I don't understand why they wouldn't cover the damages of their own shipping.

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #138 of 153
How many times did you message them during that span?
I don't understand why they wouldn't cover the damages of their own shipping.
Weekly for 2 months and then moved to more often. I tried everything from the parent company's support line to the he1 email to Eric's direct email (that I got from him at canjam Chicago months after the unit had already broken) and everything in-between. Finaly a CS agent reached out to me based off of a 4+ month support request form I did on the sennheiser website

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #139 of 153
Weekly for 2 months and then moved to more often. I tried everything from the parent company's support line to the he1 email to Eric's direct email (that I got from him at canjam Chicago months after the unit had already broken) and everything in-between. Finaly a CS agent reached out to me based off of a 4+ month support request form I did on the sennheiser website
Literally insane.
stax will still support $500 lambda models that have been out of service for 40+ years….

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #140 of 153
Literally insane.
stax will still support $500 lambda models that have been out of service for 40+ years….
Basically, Sennheiser as we knew and loved it, ceases to exist. They were still supporting the Orpheus until the Sonova takeover. No longer. Would be very surprised if the HE1 continues to be manufactured much longer - gut instinct as opposed to anything I have heard

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #141 of 153
Basically, Sennheiser as we knew and loved it, ceases to exist. They were still supporting the Orpheus until the Sonova takeover. No longer. Would be very surprised if the HE1 continues to be manufactured much longer - gut instinct as opposed to anything I have heard
In some ways I guess sennheiser has been dead for a long time. It’s been over 10 years since they released a flagship that wasn’t just a remake of existing tech they had. Sad.

Feb 24, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #142 of 153
I'm definitely preferring the HE90/HEV90 over the HE1 on acoustic tracks. Sayuri's Theme (John Williams) - feels light and airy on the Orpheus. On the HE1 - it feels thick and heavier by comparison. It's probably Me (Sting) - sounds like Sting is in my room on the Orpheus - singing to me - about 3 metres away. On the HE1 - it sounds more processed - like he is singing in a booth outside of the control room via an amazing mic - but with reverb added - still great - but slightly artificial and removed. American Beauty (Thomas Newman) - the HE1 has a noticeable drone throughout - interfering with the ambience and piano - resulting in a slightly congested sound. On the Orpheus - its is clean - natural, lean. Less information - but pure.
It seems to me that the bass extension on the HE1 - whilst providing a fuller bass - can contaminate acoustic music with unwanted drone (that perhaps the recording engineer couldn't hear?). Whilst there appears to be less information through the Orpheus - for orchestral / acoustic music - less is more. It allows the instruments to be the focus - with incredibly realistic timbre - but without the distraction of the HE1's bass extension.
I'm honestly surprised by my own findings - I didn't really expect this. When you have something as incredible sounding as the HE1 - it's easy to assume that is the reference. But for classical/acoustic - to my ears at least - the original Orpheus is more honest. Less flashy sounding - less information - less euphoric - but more authentic and subtle.

This falls in line with a lot of what I've heard when speaking to people I know that have heard both. As you mention here and in subsequent posts, as with many vintage vs. TOTL models, it does depend on which genres you prefer and where you fall on the mesmerizing natural sounding tone vs. technical and advanced resolution comparison scale.

I expect the HE-1 is probably a bit more resolving, with better bass to an even higher degree, while the HE90 probably sounds more true and natural to life and maybe a bit more well rounded. Take your pick based on your preferences and what you listen to. Pursing through the boards, particularly with really in-depth and valuable posts like these (+ personal discussions with others whom you know their preferences and expertise), is invaluable. Again, I really hope to hear them one day and I'm kicking myself for missing the chance last year at Chicago CanJam. Thank you :)

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #143 of 153
This falls in line with a lot of what I've heard when speaking to people I know that have heard both. As you mention here and in subsequent posts, as with many vintage vs. TOTL models, it does depend on which genres you prefer and where you fall on the mesmerizing natural sounding tone vs. technical and advanced resolution comparison scale.

I expect the HE-1 is probably a bit more resolving, with better bass to an even higher degree, while the HE90 probably sounds more true and natural to life and maybe a bit more well rounded. Take your pick based on your preferences and what you listen to. Pursing through the boards, particularly with really in-depth and valuable posts like these (+ personal discussions with others whom you know their preferences and expertise), is invaluable. Again, I really hope to hear them one day and I'm kicking myself for missing the chance last year at Chicago CanJam. Thank you :)
Thank you for the kind words. It's fun to share these experiences with the forum - I guess if you are reading them - it interests you, which is more than I can say for my wife 😂. My son (a cellist), however, is also interested and has a very musical ear. He also agrees (without knowing my views beforehand) that acoustic/classical is more authentic via the Orpheus. He made another interesting observation that was less obvious to me but I think he is right. Female vocals though the HE1 are better. HOWEVER - the Orpheus wins out on male vocals. Birds (Dominique Fils-Aimé) was a good test of this. One of his favourite tracks on the HE1 is Bad Guy (Billie Eilish). If you haven't listened to this through the HE1 - I would strongly suggest it as part of your audition. The way her voice cuts through the driving and dominant baseline is eery. As though she is whispering in your ear in a very loud nightclub. The Orpheus couldn't compete. It's not so much something you hear, as feel. Goosebumps are either there or not.
I need to compare more vocals and dig deeper into this. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can explain why this might be.

Mar 3, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #144 of 153
I'm definitely preferring the HE90/HEV90 over the HE1 on acoustic tracks. Sayuri's Theme (John Williams) - feels light and airy on the Orpheus. On the HE1 - it feels thick and heavier by comparison. It's probably Me (Sting) - sounds like Sting is in my room on the Orpheus - singing to me - about 3 metres away. On the HE1 - it sounds more processed - like he is singing in a booth outside of the control room via an amazing mic - but with reverb added - still great - but slightly artificial and removed. American Beauty (Thomas Newman) - the HE1 has a noticeable drone throughout - interfering with the ambience and piano - resulting in a slightly congested sound. On the Orpheus - its is clean - natural, lean. Less information - but pure.
It seems to me that the bass extension on the HE1 - whilst providing a fuller bass - can contaminate acoustic music with unwanted drone (that perhaps the recording engineer couldn't hear?). Whilst there appears to be less information through the Orpheus - for orchestral / acoustic music - less is more. It allows the instruments to be the focus - with incredibly realistic timbre - but without the distraction of the HE1's bass extension.
I'm honestly surprised by my own findings - I didn't really expect this. When you have something as incredible sounding as the HE1 - it's easy to assume that is the reference. But for classical/acoustic - to my ears at least - the original Orpheus is more honest. Less flashy sounding - less information - less euphoric - but more authentic and subtle.

Makes me wonder why Sennheiser never rebuilt this headphone and brought it back as a classic model. Sold it as headphone only and I think it would have been a success.

No chance of anything happening like that anymore though the Sennheiser audiophile ship sank long ago and they only care about mass produced consumer gear now. They really owe a lot to axel grell for the work he did.

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #145 of 153
FWIW, they have said this directly. When they split the company they lost the machine that makes the material for HE1 drivers. They have material in stock to keep going, but once its gone, its gone as far as I understand.
Makes me wonder why Sennheiser never rebuilt this headphone and brought it back as a classic model. Sold it as headphone only and I think it would have been a success.

No chance of anything happening like that anymore though the Sennheiser audiophile ship sank long ago and they only care about mass produced consumer gear now. They really owe a lot to axel grell for the work he did.
I have asked this directly. Apparently the glass stators of the HE90 are absolutely insanely expensive to make today and they arent even sure if they can hit the quality they need on them even if they did commission some.

Mar 15, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #150 of 153
Why does he sell?
As good as he1 is, it's not just the end all be all of audio. Likely selling to downsize or maybe upgrade a different part of the chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back