Sennheiser or Grado?
Jun 3, 2008 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

Pantocrator

Head-Fier
I am thinking of purchasing headphones from one of these two companies but I cannot try them out at all. I would like the most realistic sound possible, if you need clarification I can try.
Sennheiser
HD595 or HD600
Grado
225 or 325i

That's what I'm looking at right now. I will also obviously take other suggestions. I am looking for the best quality sound in a fair price range (see above) Ithink AKG makes good cans too, but I obviously have none listed.

The setup is
DAP (for the next couple years probably an ipod touch or iphone) line out to an external amp to the cans.

Thanks for the help.

Remember- realistic and true reproduction- I listen to every type of music except rap- I would like good base and classical music reproduction.

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should probably scratch out Grado and add AKGs, Grado's sound signature is colored, they aren't the type of cans you want if you want realistic and true reproduction of music.

Are you serious?

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should probably scratch out Grado and add AKGs, Grado's sound signature is colored, they aren't the type of cans you want if you want realistic and true reproduction of music.

Biggest load of crap ive heard all day!

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantocrator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking of purchasing headphones from one of these two companies but I cannot try them out at all. I would like the most realistic sound possible, if you need clarification I can try.
Sennheiser
HD595 or HD600
Grado
225 or 325i

That's what I'm looking at right now. I will also obviously take other suggestions. I am looking for the best quality sound in a fair price range (see above) Ithink AKG makes good cans too, but I obviously have none listed.

The setup is
DAP (for the next couple years probably an ipod touch or iphone) line out to an external amp to the cans.

Thanks for the help.

Remember- realistic and true reproduction- I listen to every type of music except rap- I would like good base and classical music reproduction.

HD600 needs a amp to shine.

The Grado headphones are easy to drive they have a upfront and bright sound to them .

If you want a little more neutral sound then go for Some Alessandros which are a combined effort with grado. Maybe the MS-2.

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 85
If you are connecting to a DAP then you are better off going with IEMs. Open headphones will let sound in. If you must go with headphones then go with the SR225 or HD595. There are few, if any, portable amps that can properly drive the HD600 and many consider the 325i to be too bright.

Jun 3, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 85
Could a corda 2move drive the hd600s?

Jun 3, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #8 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benny99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How come? You think the Grado signature is neutral and good for classical?

Jun 3, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you serious?

Yes, to me a headphone that produces true music reproduction is a headphone that is neutral and balanced. Grado's are not neutral at all, they have really forward mids and bright treble. You may be able to hear the music clearly in detail but I don't think they produce it in a realistic way. They add a "fun" tone to music but not a realistic tone, it adds much more treble energy and brings out vocals alot more.

Jun 3, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozncore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are connecting to a DAP then you are better off going with IEMs. Open headphones will let sound in. If you must go with headphones then go with the SR225 or HD595. There are few, if any, portable amps that can properly drive the HD600 and many consider the 325i to be too bright.

Is it safe to say that the Pico & Predator will drive the HD600's. Thanks

Jun 3, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 85
What sort of amp are you planning on using. The HD600's are going to take a decent amount of power to truly be enjoyed. Where as the 595's don't typically improve too much from a dap's headphone jack to an amp. I have listened to the 555's and the 595's with and without an amp and they dont make a night an day difference like you'd get out of amping the 600's or 580's.

Grado's seem natural to me but they lack bass impact, and have kind of shrill highs. But are quite easy to power.

The guy who suggested AKG's, may be onto something but again what kind of amp will you use because the sextetts and k601/k701 require an amp with a good amount of current pocket amps will disappoint you I think just because most of them don't cure you voltage needs. Desktop amps and vintage stereo receivers and amps will get you much better results.

Jun 3, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you serious?

Quote:

Well he is right about the Grado's being colored. Now, that doesn't mean I'd take them off the list, but accurate & neutral the Grado's are not. They might not be my first choice for classical music though.

Jun 3, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #13 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantocrator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could a corda 2move drive the hd600s?

Any amp can drive them. IMHO the HD600's would fare better with a desktop amp, not a portable amp. I would second the Allesandro's. If the MS2's are to steep for you, check out the MS1's. I have been very happy with mine.

Jun 3, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #14 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exediron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How come? You think the Grado signature is neutral and good for classical?

No its not neutral but that dosent change the fact the the headphone is still good for most types of music.

Personally Alessandro are more neutral then grado and probably better for classical.

Grado/Alessandro are not boring and laid back headphones . Alot of people enjoy this and imo they both do great for any type of music.

Jun 3, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #15 of 85
Quote:

No its not neutral but that dosent change the fact the the headphone is still good for most types of music.

Personally Alessandro are more neutral then grado and probably better for classical.

I (or he) never said that Grados are bad, he just said they're colored. And the reason I think they're bad for classical is largely because of their specific speed and somewhat limited soundstage, which aren't what I like for classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back