Sennheiser or Bose...or something else
Dec 2, 2011 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Mattr93

New Head-Fier
I'm really trying to decide the best headphones, sennheiser hd 598 Or 558 (also is there a difference other than looks), or Bose qc15. These are for my iPod, I do not work in a studio. I listen to punk rock, acoustic stuff and screamo. Also please don't just say Bose if you've never listened to sennheiser (only answer if you've listened to both). I don't want anything too bulky so if you suggest something else then it can't be to bulky, I'm looking at 200-300 price range. Thanks!

This is also my first post on this site so sorry if I did something wrong :)

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 17
Welcome to head-fi!

I've listened some bose models..but for the price you can do better. Have you considered the HD-25 I II? they are nice performers for metal and such hardcore genres. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 17
BOOOOOOOOOOOOSEEEEEEEEEEFIHAPOAWJBVKZXBGWGE

Okay got that out of my system. Seriously, I think you'll find more people here recommending Sennheiser over Bose even though they haven't heard the latter, not the other way around. The QC15 is probably top in its class for its noise-cancelling capabilities, so it's good but only if you do lots of travelling and/or value isolation as top priority.

As for you, I wouldn't recommend Sennheiser for your music tastes. Sennheiser is more for vocal, classical types of music. For rock, acoustic, screamo etc. etc. I would choose Grado, or the HD25. I would go for the HD25 if you're going portable with it, 'cause Grado doesn't isolate anything due to its open structure.

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 17
Another vote for the sennheiser hd 25 1 ii. Amazing for rock.

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 17
I agree that you should give Grado a shot (no experience with the recommended Senns), though they're definitely idiosyncratic and not everyone's cup o' tea.  The 325i is the best headphone in their Prestige line and right at the top portion of your price range.  The Bose QC aren't worth the price if you don't want the isolation -- to clarify, the Bose noise cancelling systems is one of the best out there, and definitely worth considering if that's a quality you need/want in your headphones, but since you also listed open cans as a possibility, there are better options for pure sound quality in that price range than the Bose.

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 17
I looked into them, they seem pretty good. Can they be connected to an iPod nano? It looks like the jack is too big? But I noticed a lot of sennheiser products come with 2 jacks. Also where should I buy the hd25 ii cause on their site there like 350 but everywhere else they're like 200 so what's a trusty website cause I dot think I want go use amazon.noise cancellation is not something I need. AND what's a better deal cause the 25iis are 200 while the grados are 300, also keep in mind the type of music I listen to

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
I looked into them, they seem pretty good. Can they be connected to an iPod nano? It looks like the jack is too big? But I noticed a lot of sennheiser products come with 2 jacks. Also where should I buy the hd25 ii cause on their site there like 350 but everywhere else they're like 200 so what's a trusty website cause I dot think I want go use amazon.noise cancellation is not something I need. AND what's a better deal cause the 25iis are 200 while the grados are 300, also keep in mind the type of music I listen to

I've never heard the HD25, but the general word is that they're great for DJing, rock, metal. I have the SR60 ($80), and they're great for rock. I don't think you should go too high up the line, as the improvements don't really justify the price difference. If I were you and I wanted to go for Grado, I'd go w/ the SR225. They are open backed headphones though, so they will leak a lot and isolate very little. 

Why are Grados great for rock? There are a gazillion threads about this (I think) but I'll explain why, in my own experience. In stock form, they are harsh. Sharp treble and an overall very bright sounding headphone. This makes electric guitar solos brutal. When I first got them, I couldn't take the harshness but I got used to it over time. If you can't stand treble, don't get Grados. They are not very bassy headphones either, so if you love bass, maybe go for the HD25. The Grados are clear, bright sounding and good for fast paced music, which is what rock and metal is all about to me.

Sennheisers are usually mellower in their sound. Slightly more laid back, bigger perceived soundstage, a lot more comfortable than Grados. Apparently the HD25s aren't your traditional Sennheisers. 

Cliffs: SR225. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #10 of 17
In my opinion my sennheiser hd 25 1 ii is better then a grado.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #12 of 17
Dec 2, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:

Two reasons. 

They are less harsh but have more bass. 

Metal is more then just guitars. 

OP decide for yourself.

Bassy drummy metal/rock or fast paced no bs guitar solos. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #14 of 17
I don't have the QC15 but I've had the QC3's for years,  I'd only get the Bose if you're getting them for the noise cancellation ( which means cancelling a steady noise like plane engined or road noise),  If those are your choices I'd go for the Sennheiser's.

Even if you're looking for noise cancellation check out the Sennheiser MM450 Travel or the MM550,  I find the sound quality on both better than the QC2 or 3's and there noise cancellation although not as pronounced works well.

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:

OP decide for yourself.

Bassy drummy metal/rock or fast paced no bs guitar solos. 

Implying the hd 25 1 ii doesn't have fast paced no bs guitar solos. Please don't make an assumption like that without auditioning a can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back