Sennheiser OCX 880
Nov 21, 2011 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Gozzer

100+ Head-Fier
Getting a decent set of in-monitors is starting to get a little frustrating. There is so much information out there and a lot of contradictory reviews.  It started with my Klipsh S4 ($79).  They are decent I like like the sound, however after a lot of reading I was under the impression that I could do a little better for a little higher price point.  So I'm looking through some flyers and I see OCX 880 on sale for $99.  Looks interesting, so I do some reading and everything looks good.  Read reviews, like detailed, clear , crisp highs etc.  I finally get them from razordogdeals.com ($69) thinking this is great. 
Well they sound terrible. However be patient  they just need to be burned in.  Approx 20 hours later they start to sound better, however still not as good as the S4's.  Here's the kicker, I see a pair of Philips SHE3582 for $7.99 cdn at Walmart. I was hoping to use the rubber buds on the OCX880s to try to get at better fit. Well of coarse I try the Philips and they didn't sound that bad. The mids were more detailed then the OCX880s.  At this point I've lost all sense of what a good IM should sound like.

Have to re group. So I pull out the M50's and DT990's to get a sense of what good is. And yes the OCX880 sound terrible and so do the Philips.  Wishful thinking tell me the 880's still has to complete their burn in period. I'm not holding my breath.

This where I reach out the community for some help. What's out there in an IM that compares to the M50 or DT990's and how much to I have to pay.

Update Nov-23.  

I must have under estimated the amount of burn in. I've had them plugged in and just let them play for long periods at a  time. I'm shocked on how much they have improved.  They have blown by the cheap Philips and they may surpass the S4's. The treble is more clear and defined  that the S4's, however the S4's has more bass and slightly more sound stage.
I was listing to Bryan Adams straight from the Heart.(Sansa/FLAC), the piano really stands out.
The way things are going, I may put the diaphragm guards back in just to tame the treble.SUBMIT

Update Nov-29
Burn in completed, these have surpassed the Klipsh S4. Lows are cleaner and deeper, the highs extend more and cleaner. Soundstage is also better.  They are a similar sound as the M50's but not a good. If you like the M50's sound, you might like these. On a good recording the details really jump out at you.  Acoustic and Electric guitars seem to come alive. 
The isolation is not as good as the S4's. If you are in a noisy environment you lose a lot of the lows and highs. 
On my Sansa Fuse I keep the volume just above 1/2 to 3/4 vs S4 which I keep at 1/3 to 1/2. depending on the recording's level.

Update Feb-05-2012
I received HF-5's around the middle of Dec and my RE-0 shortly after. They have helped me put things in perspective.  The OCX880's have a good base which is deep and extends well. The highs are fairly crisp. The base and High's can drown out the mids when compare to the HF5/RE0.
The detail although better than the S4 however they are  from the HF-5/RE-0.  The MSP of $169 is misleading as they are not close that caliber of other EIM's. The $69 I paid is paid is about right, however even for that price the RE-0 are well worth the extra $10.

Update Nov-23-2012
I've just burned in the Sony-Ericsson MH1C's and they sound very similar to the OCX880.  Bass quantity and depth are strikingly similar.
Mids and highs are also very close.  
Used them with HM-601 and found found it a little too warm. Neutral amp would probably work better.

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 30
Here's something to try. Remove the diaphragm guards and marvel at the sound change. Does the OCX880 come with memory foam tips? If so, switch to those to kill the 7khz peak, as the standard tips without the diaphragm guards are too harsh.

This made my CX980 so much better. I originally thought it was garbage, but it seems the diaphragm guards were the cause of all the muddiness. I could not believe the transformation. Now they sound great!

Sennheiser... known for crippling their headphones with stuffing and foam. (HD595/598 -> 555/558, CX980)  =_=

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #3 of 30
Thanks for the suggestion. I did removed the diaphragm guard and it does make a significant difference.  880's come with the black rubber tips.  I tried the philip's tips which are similar to the S4's  soft silicone. They fit slightly better.   The fit is probably a big part of the problem. If I hold them pressed against my ear the bass and highs improve.  I'm trying to find a kit with various tips to see if I can get a better fit.

Nov 22, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 30
The CX980 has been ignored because for $100 more you can just get the IE8. It's a shame that every in-depth review only reviewed it with diaphragm guards on, only to slam it for its muddy bass and midrange. I suspect the real reason they put in the diaphragm guards was to boost the bass to "Beats by Dr. Dre" levels in order to attract more casual buyers, while dampening the 7khz peak. The statement in the manual that they "contribute to the quality of the ear canal phones" is a complete lie. Oh Sennheiser, why did you cripple your top CX model by default?

The CX980 sounds solid with memory foam tips and the diaphragm guards off, and I haven't even burned it in completely yet. It appears the OCX880 has improved from stock as well according to the OP. Could either of them put up a fight against the IE7 or IE8? I don't have either of those to compare, so it's only speculation. I got the CX980 because there was a one-day local sale for $130 last weekend. They sound great for that price, but the real question is whether it's worth $200, which is the price on Amazon.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 30
Please forgive my reviving this thread after two months, but I have to ask...

Have you found any good memory foam tips that fit the 880s?  If so, please let us know where to get 'em.  Thanks!

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 30
I had gotten these as a Christmas present to myself last year, and I was disappointed by the audio quality.  Even after listening to music for hours through them, they sounded as if someone was killing the mids and muffling the hand claps from John Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance."

I noticed some buildup in the canal, so I decided to clean them.  After removing the silicone, I noticed a small piece of foam.  I thought to myself, "I wonder if this is what is causing my music and games to sound so bad?". I dismissed it, but it kept nagging me until I searched for the solution on google.

After removing the foam, my earbuds sound amazing, like how I had originally expected them to sound from the beginning.  I am now getting better sound on "flat" then on "rock" or "loudness.". The foam was messing with the audio reproduction, muffling everything and making them sound worse than my ZaggBuds.

Going to test these out in BF: Bad Company 2 to see if it fixed the muffled sounds of gunfire.

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 30
I'm not really understanding how the OCX880 can sound "muffled." Yes, the bass is very present but it mostly keeps itself separated from the mids. I personally agree with Gozzer's later impressions: the OCX880s are surprisingly detailed despite their bass-driven signature, and have great bass texture to boot. Are we listening to a different pair of earphones from everybody else, or is this a fitment issue? The unique size of the nozzle does make finding the right tips a bit difficult.

I can only imagine that removing the diaphragm guards will just make the upper mids overly sibilant and harsh. Haven't tried that yet and have no intention of doing so anytime soon. They sound great as is to my ears.

Dubs: The OCX880, along with the CX870 and CX880, have a unique nozzle that makes them incompatible with Comply tips, at least according to their website. I believe the 800 series canalphones use a narrower nozzle than the CX980 and the CX680, both of which seem to be compatible with the T-200 series Comply foams.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 30
You do get some sibilance, on some recordings. However with them on they sound very bland. Pianos, string instruments and electric guitars have a bit more sparkle without the foam covers.

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #11 of 30
right now newegg has these on sale for $34.99

thinking of sagging a pair...sounds like they are worth it

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #12 of 30
You do get some sibilance, on some recordings. However with them on they sound very bland. Pianos, string instruments and electric guitars have a bit more sparkle without the foam covers.

I must be corrupted by the Sennheiser sound since I don't find the mids to be bland at all. :p
For many though I can see the diaphragm guard removal "mod" being worth a try. It is reversible after all.

right now newegg has these on sale for $34.99

thinking of sagging a pair...sounds like they are worth it

Personally, I think the OCX880 are worth it at the price Gozzer paid for his. At $35 I consider them a steal. I think they're better than the Monster Turbines I had, with much clearer mids, better soundstage, more detail all around, better bass texture, and, perhaps best of all, no uneasy pressure build up in the ear (at the expense of lower isolation).

Just be patient with them when you first get them. The OCX880 was a bit harsh out of the box, and the fit (and consequently, the sound) will get better over time.

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #13 of 30
Worth trying...I'm still in budget-fi!  

I will share my thoughts.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #14 of 30

The OCX880 has a wonderful brilliance to its sound... That being said, right out of the box they sound distorted at times, getting that sandy sound in the ears, making Fleet Foxes and other bands sound down-right wrong. Acoustic songs didn't sound very clean, and it sounded as if I was bottoming out the treble drivers. After reading the reviews above, I realized it just takes a while to burn these headphones in.

I purchased my OCX880s via newegg.com for a grand total of 35 dollars, a steal all right. If I do burn these guys in, then for sure they will be worth it within a matter of days, possibly by the end of the week.

I did want to mention that I have a pair of NuForce NE-700X, another top-rated amazon product, and although the OCXs have distortion issues, as of now, the mid of these guys are far better; they have a much better balance and clarity.

That being said, I am still curious as to how these guys will sound in a few days, so I will probably do a follow-up.

Songs I used to test the headphones:
White Winte Hymnal - Fleet Foxes (Lossless)
Monster - Kanye West (Lossless)
Pins and Needles - Mutemath (mp3)
Gratitude - Earth, Wind, and Fire (mp3)
Hurts Like Heaven - Coldplay (lossless)
Derezzed - Daft Punk (lossless)

Again, as of now, these buds have great balance, but they still sound distorted. I will do another test at the end of a sufficient burn period and compare with my NuForces again.

And although I haven't completely tried these headphones, I recommend anyone trying to find good earbuds to purchase these. I think the price at newegg.com went up, but still, I think it is worth it, much better a value than any beats or skullcandy's.

Thanks for reading!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #15 of 30
I just got these yesterday and here are my impressions.

Out of the box--Too harsh....Highs are very irritating...

after one day of burn in--this seems to be improving but not very much....mids started to sound better....Still getting that irritating highs....and static crackling sounds at high volumes

I pity the people who bought these ones...for more than 40 bucks....as of now there are not worth more than that...lets see after one more day of burn in.

I still got a question after reading this forum....do i have take the plugs out or not...? there seems to be contradicting views about that...Please suggest...

PS:I an not a noob for ear phones...i had etymotic research and shure before...but they were worn out.....jumped into this....looking at the price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back