Sennheiser next for me?
Apr 4, 2009 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

blackcoffee

New Head-Fier
Hi there, new on the forum, hope I don't ask too much of an FAQ now... but here goes:

I currently have a pair of AKG K-701. Amazing phones. I also have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT250-250. Not so amazing, somehow.

Several different sources, mostly run through a an amp called Harmonic Design EAR90 (Swedish brand, sort of boutique here I guess, suppoesed to be powerful).

I'm now trying to decide what the next phone to purchase is - something to complement the others.

Musically I like many differnt things, but mostly jazz, rock and blues-rock. Some singer-songwriter-style music also passes the ears from time to time. That said, the last few records played in my stereo have been Tracy Chapman, Kraftwerk (Tour De France Soundtrack), Rammstein, Kenny Wayne Shephard, Beethoven (on piano) and various older jazz from the soundtrack of the movie "Kissing Jessica Stein".

The K-701 takes care of parts of that with style, but some of the more elctronic stuff can be either to harch in the top end or kind of bass-poor. Depends a lot on the music, I guess.

(The DT250 seems to lack treble alltogehter somehow).

Another consideration I have is that the phones I buy should not just be different sonically from what I have but also be different in the amp requirements section as I like to fiddle with electronics and plan to build a couple of amps myself just for fun. Not all OTL tube amps like all impedances for instance.

So ... what I'm looking for is sometihng that likes amps, and differs from the K-701 in sound - possibly something more suitable for an old rock album but still with a good top end. If it's cheap (in Europe) I'd be even happier.
wink.gif

Based on the raves here I naturally like to examine the higher end Sennheisers. A local shop got a pair of HD580:s left for approx 60% of what the cheapest HD650:s cost.

Currently got a pair of Sennheiser HD595 loaned from a friend. In my ears (which might not be the best around, but they're all I've got) they sound kind of dull and ... well, not too unike the DT250:s. How do you recon' the HD580:s will compare?

Anything else I should keep my eye out for? If this question have been answered a million times before, what search terms should I have used?
smile.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 12
Definitely jump on those HD580's. They share the same driver as the HD600 and don't have that silly faux-marble graphic thing.

I also love my K701's and I'm about to purchase a pair of HD50's myself for pretty much the same reasons you are looking for another headphone. I bought the Beyer DT770Pro/80ohm and I almost never listen to them, because the only thing they do better than my AKGs is bass. Everything else is much better to my ears with the AKG's.

The Sennheisers are said to really make the most of an upgraded cable. I plan to make my own cable, because the prices of most premium cable replacements are more than the headphones themselves. You may be perfectly happy with the stock cable though.

Good luck!!

Apr 4, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 12
Search W5000. It's extremely picky about amp.

Also search F5005, which is a mod that can be performed on the W5000 to increase its bass quantity.

Apr 6, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 12
I've owned HD580s for 10 years and I can tell you if you want an energetic headphone with bass for electronic and rock DO NOT GET THEM. They will be incredibly disappointing for you. In fact, I have been searching for a replacement for a few years and finally chose the Denon 2000's after comparing them directly with K701/K601/DT880/HD650 all on my RSA Hornet. They are a very different headphone than the K701 and will provide you a great alternative for rock/hip-hop/electronic. Use the K701s for more detailed instrumental work and the Denon's for other music.

Apr 6, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Telix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned HD580s for 10 years and I can tell you if you want an energetic headphone with bass for electronic and rock DO NOT GET THEM. They will be incredibly disappointing for you. In fact, I have been searching for a replacement for a few years and finally chose the Denon 2000's after comparing them directly with K701/K601/DT880/HD650 all on my RSA Hornet. They are a very different headphone than the K701 and will provide you a great alternative for rock/hip-hop/electronic. Use the K701s for more detailed instrumental work and the Denon's for other music.

I always like HD600 (which is almost the same as HD580) for electronic because of the its great dynamic especially in bass, but YMMV.

Apr 6, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 12
The HD580's are getting to be a bit scarce. Even on eBay, I only see maybe one or two at any given time. I just won an auction for a mint pair last night but I paid a premium price for them, almost as much as they cost new. That's to be expected though since they are still very popular and not available new.
So if you can get your hands on a pair and you're sure you want them, I'd recommend doing it. You may not be able to later, and you could almost certainly get most of (if not all) your money back out of them on a resale if you keep them minty fresh.

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 12
For now, the K-701:s are growing on me, and I've decided to let the credit card rest for a while.

Damn, the AKGs should have approx 100 hours of burn-in on them now and I like the full sound better and better. Bass is growing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #12 of 12
If this helps any I believe you can still buy the HD650s for 320 new. Not sure if that is in your price range but its something to consider if the price of the HD580s are high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back