Sennheiser newbie advice
Oct 6, 2003 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

jonandabby

New Head-Fier
I need some advice.

I want to buy a good set of headphones to use with my new Onkyo 601 system. I do not plan on buying an amp in the near future. My main use will be to watch DVD's and play on my X-Box (both of which run through the Onkyo). I don't see more than 10 or 20% of the use to be for music - I have 2 young kids, who tend to get woken up when I blow up monsters in Halo late at night or watch Neo flogging some in Matrix!

Based on reading this forum, I think I have narrowed my choice down to the Sennheiser 580 or 590. I can find both for about the same price right now - $160 or so. Anyone have any comments on those (or any others - I still can be talked out of this) based on my usage patterns? Should the 580 or 590 be the choice? Is there a less expensive alternative that would work just as well (e.g. the 497 or something else?)

Thanks!

Oct 6, 2003 at 2:42 PM Post #2 of 33
I used to listen to my 590 without an amp, and I was driven by my soundcard adequately. I think the major consensus in this forum is that 590s are better vs the 580s if your planning to use it without an amp. Its also very light and comfortable.

Oct 6, 2003 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 33
Welcome to Head-Fi.

The 580's and 590's are great phones, but if you're not using them much for music, I do wonder if they're overkill. I'm not a gamer, so take that into consideration, but the 497's are a great bargain set. What type of movies do you watch and what are your bass requirements? Are you only looking at Senns? Also are you only looking for open cans or are closed an option?

Oct 6, 2003 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 33
A few good questions were asked, so here goes:
1) The 580's or 590's might be overkill (that is why I am pleading for guidance).
2) I'd be willing to take advice on anything, although from reading through the various posts it seems that in the "not crazy expensive" category, the senns seem to be the best all-around performers.
3) I typically watch sci-fi or other loud movies. My kids (4 and 1) don't watch more than Elmo, and my wife won't watch something if it is loud (aka fun). In those kinds of movies (and in the games) some bass is useful, although it isn't quite as necessary as if I were listening to metal all the time.
4) I am mostly set on open headphones - I typically would be using them only at night or when it is quiet, and I'd prefer phones where I can hear if something is happening (e.g. the teething one year old starts yelling or something).

Oct 6, 2003 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 33
I'd say overkill, though if you ever did start using it more for music the two Senn's would be great to grow with. Keeping them open, I'd stick with the Senn 497's or lower Grados or Alessandro MS1. The Grado/Alessandro's may be a better bet for your film choices and bass, but some have a problem with comfort. Either way these are all very good phones and in the same quality arena. If you want to grow in the future though the 590's, 580's, and Grado 225's are good to consider. Spend $60-$100 for what you would use now or $150-$180 for what you may use later.

Oct 6, 2003 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 33
The reason I was looking at the 580 was that the Sennheiser website actually mentions that this model would be good for DVD's. The site actually talks about the 570 the same way. What about the 500 or the 570? I don't mind spending a few dollars more than the 497, and portability really isn't even a little issue for me - I KNOW I won't be taking them anywhere.

PS I am leaning away from the Grado because I can't seem to find any near me to try them out (or even a place to order them from that would allow me to return them if I didn't like them). Sennheiser seems to be everywhere (e.g. Amazon has great prices on them, according to PriceGrabber.com).

Oct 6, 2003 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 33
I recommend avoiding the HD 500 - the mid-bass almost completely overpowers the mids and highs. And what little mids and highs that the HD 500 reproduces, is woolly and grainy. Not worth even half the price of the HD 497, IMHO.

As for the HD 570, you can still find much better headphones than the HD 570 at its price point, not that the HD 570 is a bad 'phone (it's okay, but it sounds way too bright when underpowered and a bit murky with good amplification).

Oct 6, 2003 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 33
HD-580 and HD-590 does seem to be a little bit of an overkill for your needs. However, one thing that can't be forgotten is the comfortability of either of these headphones. I have a HD-497 as well, and they're not very comfortable for extended sessions. I would say using them for like, a 2-hour movie is about as much as I can take with it... of course, that's after I tried the 580 and 590, before that it wasn't such a big deal (or rather, didn't know headphones could be anymore comfortable).

HD-590 can be easily driven from any source, and sounds pretty good coming out of just about anything. HD-580 takes a lot more work to push it towards its full potential. The trade-off is, HD-590 doesn't improve much with a good amp, where the improvement in HD-580 is dramatic. If you don't plan to get an amp in the near future though, HD-590 is probably the better choice. I wouldn't think much of the "great for DVD's" statement on Senn's website.. it's just marketing...

Grados are more active and intimate than the Senns, imo. Meanwhile Senns are more theater/concert like. The comfort with the Grados varies pretty wildly from one person to the next though. I think everyone feels that HD-580/590 are very comfortable, but some people debate on the comfort of the SR225, and goes to pretty far extent to modify them to make them more comfortable.

Oct 6, 2003 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by jonandabby
4) I am mostly set on open headphones - I typically would be using them only at night or when it is quiet, and I'd prefer phones where I can hear if something is happening (e.g. the teething one year old starts yelling or something).

You said you were listening to loud volumes... did you consider that if *you* can hear him, he might hear you as well?

Oct 6, 2003 at 7:06 PM Post #10 of 33
I don't know if you are married, but....

See, if I listen to movies even at -25 db or so, my wife can hear it from upstairs while she is trying to go to sleep. The kids never do, though.

I'm getting the headphones so I can listen at my preferred level, but don't have to worry about the "joy" of being asked to turn down the sound. And if I use open phones, if the baby yells, I may be able to hear it through the headphones early enough that I can get to the kid before my wife. That way, I can justify being able to stay up all hours - "See, dear, by staying up and playing games and watching movies, I can get Tara before you were even disturbed. Aren't I a GREAT husband?" (I wouldn't even begin to suggest that I don't turn the speakers down as much as I could, her aggravation being the cause of my wife not arguing about buying good headphones)

Marriage is negotiation.

Oct 6, 2003 at 7:17 PM Post #11 of 33
tongue.gif

Just be aware if the playback volume levels you're expecting are in the higher end, you still may not be able to a child's cry, etc. with open phones. I've missed a few phone calls while sitting reasonably close to the telephone with my 225's. Course I don't know Tara's lung capacity.

Oct 6, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #12 of 33
jonandabby,

You deserve my respect, you're a great diplomat
wink.gif

I suggest you to try one of those devices (transmitters? babyphones?) that work in this way: you put one in Tara's room and you keep the other one next to you. If she cries, you can hear her through closed doors, walls etc. The device should also have some led system that gets bright when there is some signal, so that you can see it when the headphones are too loud.

I hope you understand what I mean
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2003 at 10:44 PM Post #13 of 33
With my HD600 i cant even turn them all the way up at midnight,cuz they scream like loudspeakers,not headphones,and i can hear them on the other side of the house (tested)

Oct 7, 2003 at 12:36 AM Post #14 of 33
Why not consider something like the Ultrasone HFI-650DVD; they're ideal for what you'd be using them for, durable, comfortable and closed.

Fantastic for movies and gaming, love that extra bass
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2003 at 12:47 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by jonandabby
PS I am leaning away from the Grado because I can't seem to find any near me to try them out (or even a place to order them from that would allow me to return them if I didn't like them). Sennheiser seems to be everywhere (e.g. Amazon has great prices on them, according to PriceGrabber.com).

Our friends at Headroom give you 30 days to change your mind. In fact, I am sending back some sennheiser 600s tomorrow cause I can't stand them.

-d

Users who are viewing this thread

Back