Sennheiser Momentums or V-Moda XS?
Apr 28, 2014 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tyadams

New Head-Fier
Hello!

This is my first post on the forums, but I have been reading posts on here for quite a bit.
I am in need of new headphones. I have been looking around quite a bit for a good set of sealed headphones $300 or under.  
I will be wearing them at home and when walking around campus, so they need to be somewhat portable, but whether they fold up or not doesn't bother me at all.
I have narrowed them down between the Sennheiser Momentums and the V-Moda XS, which are pretty new.

I know that both headphones are quite different types, but Ive heard a lot of good things from both. They both have very good build quality, which I like.
I originally had it narrowed down between the Momentums and the PSB M4U 1, but I am not a fan of the build quality of the headphones and I do not like how they look (although they look better than the NAD's).  Everyone says that they have excellent SQ, so they are still an option... 

For MUSIC, I love stuff like Sigur Ros. I also love Jonsi's Go Do album. They seem to have a lot of different instruments in their songs. I would like to be able to hear them all clearly with detail.
I also love ambient/Post Rock such as 'Hammock' and 'Explosions in the Sky', and I also like listening to Indie-Rock such as 'Passion Pit' or 'Phoenix', which can both have some decent bass in their songs. These bands are just some of my favorites, but I listen to a lot of different genres as well.
I want my music such as "Go Do" by Jonsi to still sound lively, but I would still like the detail from the different instruments.

1. Momentums. I LOVE how they look, better than the V-Moda headphones IMO. Ive heard that they are very good all around headphones, which I like. 
Obviously the biggest problem is comfort. Besides that, over all, everyone says that the Treble is rolled-off and that the base can be loose, but is it that bad? Are they that dark? There seems to be no one that hates their SQ. Tyll from Inner Fidelity loves them.

2.V-Moda XS. This has recently come on my list. I read a lot of hype about the M80's on the forums, and after hearing that the XS has better, more neutral SQ, I though that they might be a good pick. They look good, the momentums look better, but are only $199 on Amazon right now.

Discomfort aside, which would better suit me? If the momentums, is it worth the extra $100?

So that is why they are on my list, I have already looked at a TON of other headphones. I saw a lot of people recommending the k550, but I do not like how big they are and how they look. 

My question is, which headphone would better suit me? I am by no means an audiophile, so thats why I am asking you. $300 is a lot of money and so I would like some advice before I make the plunge! Thanks!

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 11
If your ear size is just an average then you should try Sennheiser Momentum over ear for better sound quality and comfortable feeling.

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 11
I've been seriously considering those as well! I would have gotten those already if they didn't look so strange!
Is it true that the they sound similar to the PsB M4U 1's?

May 17, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 11
I am stuck between these two headphones as well, I asked a few people and they said that the XS has a more smoother and natural sound signature and the bass goes lower than the Momentums. Me personally I have tryd the Momentums and I loved the sound I would have gotten them but I still had the XS in mind. Today I may go shopping with my sister and try to get a chance to go listen to the XS i'll let you know what I think. By the way im no audiophile i'm only a 17 yr old kid that loves music haha but i'll give you my impressions between the two :)

May 19, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 11
I am stuck between these two headphones as well, I asked a few people and they said that the XS has a more smoother and natural sound signature and the bass goes lower than the Momentums. Me personally I have tryd the Momentums and I loved the sound I would have gotten them but I still had the XS in mind. Today I may go shopping with my sister and try to get a chance to go listen to the XS i'll let you know what I think. By the way im no audiophile i'm only a 17 yr old kid that loves music haha but i'll give you my impressions between the two :)

Interesting, I've heard that the momentums have a little more clarity? Do let me know your impressions if you get to try them both!

May 20, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #11 of 11
I finaly got the chance to test and compare them both, the songs I used to compare them were. The Prodigy- Diesal Power, The Prodigy- Naryan, Ernesto Vs Bastian- Laserbrain, Adymus- Kaleidoscope Eyes and 16 Bit Lolitas- No Body Seems To Care. With the Prodigy Diesal Power the Xs had the win, the vocals and cymbals were crisp and clear the bass hit hard nothing like the M100s but definetly more than the Momentums. With The Prodigy Naryan I say they were both equal, I felt that the Momentums sounded a little more clearer not by alot you could notice it a bit, but the Xs had that nice bass but I personaly loved how they both sounded I'd describe the Momentums as nice and relaxing and the Xs as nice and fun sounding. With Ernesto Vs Bastian- Laser Brain Both equal again with the Momentums on clarity but not as much bass but the Xs with Bass but less Clarity but still the Xs sounded very clear and nice i'd say though the Momentums had the edge on this one. Now with Adymus Kaleidoscope Eyes I have to hand it down to the Xs they had the perfect amount of bass and clarity that made a perfect mix, yes the Momentums had a tad bit clearer sound but the bass was not enough to give life to the song when it needed it. Now here is where it got hard for me to pick but I say that the Xs won with 16 Bit Lolitas No Body Seems To Care, the Momentums had amazing clarity and a nice amount of bass but the Xs knew when this song needed that extra bit of bass and it delivered it perfectly. Now I am going to say though that to me both headphones are equal the Momentums do have a wider soundstage but not by alot like the M100s but me personally I seriously enjoyed the Xs but everyone is different, but i'd say go with the Xs as for it is cheaper and more better built but both headphones are great so no matter which way you go you will not be dissapointed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back