sennheiser momentum vs sennheiser hd 25-1 II
Nov 26, 2013 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ktjipto

New Head-Fier
hello i am new on this website so please bear with me. i have been lurking around this website for 1 or 2 years now and have finally decided to join. i have a problem regarding which headphones would be the one to go and have not found a thread that is of help.

i am an edm fan and listen to those type of musics religiously. though at times i may listen to guitar songs by sunghajung or depapepe. through research, i have decided to go for the momentums or the hd 25-1 II. the problem is that it is not on display in my local store so i cannot try it. so can you all please help guide me to the correct headphones for my music preferences?

thankyou :)

Nov 27, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 25
i believe the sennheiser hd 25-1  II has not been discontinued as it is still sold on the local store here in my country :s i am actually looking at the over ear version of the momentums. i am looking for recommendations as to which one is better for my music preferences as they cannot be demo'd in the store :frowning2:

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 25
The Sennheiser Amperior has been discontinued.  It's a HD-25 with aluminum cups.

I think the MOE would suit you the best.  If you want more responses you probably should ask the Momentum on ear thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/674370/sennheiser-momentum-on-ear-impressions/

Good luck!

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 25
If I'm correct the HD25 has a 70ohm impedance so you might not get great volume from a phone. This is another difference between the standard HD25 and the Amperior - the Amperior has an 18ohm impedance as it was designed for mobile devices.

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 25
I have HD25ii, if you like the looks, go for it. Is a really great Headphone, but be in mind that you should change the cable for a copper one sometime, and that will set you back about 50 usd... They're really durable, i have them for about 5 years without any signs of ageing.

I use it with my iphone without any driving issues.

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #10 of 25
Assuming the Momentum OVER-ears and HD 25-1 II are at your local store, here are the differences:

Momentum Over-Ears
  1. Medium-Large Travel Case
  2. Fixed Leather Band
  3. Flexible but slightly fragile
  4. Leather Earcups
  5. Slightly "Humped Shaped" Response; More Detailed Mids and Vocals
  6. Warmer Sound
  7. Relaxed Presentation
  8. Designed for Leisurely Critical Listening
  9. 18 ohms; sounds a somewhat better with a portable amp, but not required
  10. $350 US MSRP

HD 25-1 II
  1. Medium Sized Travel Bag
  2. Plastic-Coated (Metal inside?) splittable headband
  3. Very Sturdy but breakable if a lot of effort is given
  4. Pleather earcups (heard velour can be an option)
  5. Slightly "V-Shaped" Response; More Detailed Bass and More Crisp Treble
  6. Colder Sound
  7. Quick Presentation
  8. Designed for production and DJing
  9. 70 ohms; benefits from a portable amp and is recommended
  10. $200 US MSRP

There are probably other differences, but these ten points from each are amongst the selling points between these two cans. Choose wisely, good luck, and happy listening!

Edit: Added imepedence and my opinion on portable amping.

Edit #2: After reading your listening preferences, intended use, and galaxy 3 music player, I think that the momentum over-ears will work best for you, even if they are more expensive. I do not know what type of EDM you like, but I can tell which guitar strings are plucked and how they are plucked on every song. It's really nice.

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 25
I might return my hd-25-1 ii and order these, but why are they so much more expensive? Do they sound that much better? I listen to EDM as well. And want to use them to monitor my own, would switching to Momentums be an upgrade?

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #12 of 25
I might return my hd-25-1 ii and order these, but why are they so much more expensive? Do they sound that much better? I listen to EDM as well. And want to use them to monitor my own, would switching to Momentums be an upgrade?

If you are moving from EDM to other genres, then yes, it will be worth the upgrade. If you feel like you will stick to mostly EDM listening for a while, it is best to save your money and wait for something else when you listen to other genres, unless you want to limit your headphone stock to just one (momentum). As a note, quicker note delivery will skip over some low/mid/high extensions (can make you ask "What did I hear?") and relaxed note delivery may tend to give a less exciting, possibly sluggish, overall sound (can make you ask "Why my ears?).

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 25
  If I'm correct the HD25 has a 70ohm impedance so you might not get great volume from a phone. This is another difference between the standard HD25 and the Amperior - the Amperior has an 18ohm impedance as it was designed for mobile devices.

Yep 70ohm but 120db so it actually get's louder on an iphone. I have both, the HD25 has better isolation and does sound great but has more aggressive highs than the momentum. The mids and low end on the momentum are very good, better than the HD25.

You can't go wrong with either but I think the momentum has overall "better" sound. You might try also try the beyerdynamic DT 1350. For my taste, I prefer the momentums but these do sound great, isolation is excellent too.

Sep 9, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #14 of 25
Yep 70ohm but 120db so it actually get's louder on an iphone. I have both, the HD25 has better isolation and does sound great but has more aggressive highs than the momentum. The mids and low end on the momentum are very good, better than the HD25.

You can't go wrong with either but I think the momentum has overall "better" sound. You might try also try the beyerdynamic DT 1350. For my taste, I prefer the momentums but these do sound great, isolation is excellent too.
Calling the Momentum better than the Sennheiser is doubtful because I used to have both of the headphones and from my view the HD 25 wins and let me explain why. First of the Mids, the Momentums have the more aggressive midrange while the HD 25 have the slightly more laidback midrange but when modded the HD 25 midrange because much more intimate and detailed, so the win goes to the HD 25, I would go so far as to say they are close to the HD 600 not 650. Bass, in the Bass region its a toss up as the Momentum's seem to have a slightly fuller bass but slightly flabby at times while on the other hand the HD25 do not have the fullness but have a tighter and more impactful low-end and when modded really really starts to shine in the Sub-Bass. Finally the highs, Now I agree that the Highs are much more aggressive in the HD 25 compared to the Momentum but is much more detailed and airier and when the HD 25 is modded (am going to post my mods later) becomes slightly less aggressive and leveled out and yes more detailed. So that is my opinion and notice how I include the modded Hd 25 and not any modded momentum's because I couldn't find any modding potential in those cans.

Sep 10, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #15 of 25
For your purposes, source and music, I'd definitely opt for the Momentum. The HD 25 is a more aggressive headphone, and the mids are very forward, unlike the Momentum. The HD 25 is a monster for rock n roll and metal, but it wouldn't be my 1st (or last) choice for EDM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back