Sennheiser Momentum vs. NAD Viso HP50
Apr 29, 2015 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

taiz

New Head-Fier
Anyone with experience with both of these phones have a favorite? From reading reviews the NAD seem to have a slight edge but I've been pretty pleased with Sennheiser stuff in the past. That said I also have PSB Synchrony's powered by an NAD M3 for my main (non-headphone) setup, so clearly I think Paul Barton is doing something right...

I mostly listen to electronic (though not EDM) and indie stuff (which is half electronic it seems these days) so definitely prefer something with good (but balanced) bass response.

Wish there was an headphone store nearby where I could go actually listen to some stuff in person. I remember when I was in Japan they had the Sennheiser HD800 just sitting out in a department store for anyone to audition.

Impressions on sound quality, comfort, isolation, etc would be very much appreciated! And anything else in the $300 range I should look at too.

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 10
I prefer the NAD because, in part, it is more accurate, refined and has a superior sound stage.  I also find them to be more comfortable, but your mileage may vary on this.

Compare:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headset-everyone-sennheiser-momentum-ear

with

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 10
  I prefer the NAD because, in part, it is more accurate, refined and has a superior sound stage.  I also find them to be more comfortable, but your mileage may vary on this.

Compare:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headset-everyone-sennheiser-momentum-ear

with

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

Should be compared with this. Both over ear.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-adult-sennheiser-momentum
Your choice would be a +1

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 10
If you have the money buy them both, then decide which one to keep. I listen to similar music and sampled the M1 and the HP50 for about 2 weeks to try to decide which one to keep. I went for the HP50 but if it was the M2 vs HP50 I think I would have went with the M2.

The HP50 sounds great and has a nice wide sound stage. They are nice and flat but I do wish it had just a touch more treble sparkle. The bass is really great, nice and tight and balanced well extending from mid to sub bass.

I really liked the M1s and would have kept them if they actually fit over my ears. They have more bass, it's borderline too much for me, but it's still nice and tight but I'd give the edge to the HP50s as being tighter. I've heard people complain that the bass gets muddy if you boost it but I've never tried. I really love the M1 mids and it's got that trebble sparkle that I was missing from the HP50s. Also the sound stage is narrower. In the end I returned the M1s as my ears couldn't listen to them long without my ears hurting.

I haven't heard the M2s but if they have a similar sound signature as the M1s those are the ones I'd grab.

May 21, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 10
Meant to update this earlier but I was out of town last week. I ended up spending a weekend with both of them and kept the NAD. Sound-wise, the Sennheisers were relatively close but ultimately the NADs were pretty much better across the board. The bass was more controlled and less boomy, there was more detail, and the overall balance just felt right to my ears. Plus, they fit much better over my ears (I have relatively large ears) and I liked that the cord could be connected to either the left or right side of the headphone. The case leaves a bit to be desired but it's definitely much more compact which makes them easier to travel with. I do wish there was a pocket inside the case where I could tuck the cord/adapters and maybe a small DAC. Another minor gripe is that the cord is probably 1-2 ft too short for my liking. I realize it makes it great to use with portable players but that extra slack would have been great for listening in bed while keeping my source on the nightstand.

I will say the Sennheisers look more stylish and were $100 less, so I actually considered holding onto them as a pair to keep at work. That said, with the V2 now available I'm willing to hold out until I "need" another pair to see if they address the shortcomings of the original (and hopefully the price will have come down a bit by then).

May 21, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #9 of 10
  I will say the Sennheisers look more stylish and were $100 less, so I actually considered holding onto them as a pair to keep at work. That said, with the V2 now available I'm willing to hold out until I "need" another pair to see if they address the shortcomings of the original (and hopefully the price will have come down a bit by then).

So just to make sure I got it right, you've auditioned the 1st gen Momentum and the NAD, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back