Sennheiser Momentum vs. NAD Viso HP-50
Apr 28, 2014 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Opethian844

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm looking for new portable headphones and I've come down to the Sennheiser Momentum and the HP-50 but I can;t decide which to get.  If I could get pros and cons of each that would be good.   I listen to a bit of everything but mostly rock and heavy metal.  Thanks.

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 22
Have you seen Innerfidelity's Wall of Fame lists? Each description links to a longer review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 22
So another one that would be worth looking at IMO is the V-Moda M-100's.  I was torn between those three headphones (The Momentums, the HP-50's and the M-100's) I ended up with the HP-50's based on InnerFidelity's recommendation and the type of music I tend to listen to.  Also it helped they were the most portable of the bunch for me.

Here is a great forum post comparing the two: http://www.head-fi.org/t/706770/nad-hp50s-vs-momentums-a-short-review-comparison

Also read through the HP-50 thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/646735/nad-viso-hp50-another-superb-headphone-from-paul-barton

There is some comfort issues in regards to the head band that many people did not like.  Personally I find it pretty comfortable (If a bit on the heavy side) and find the audio rather good across the board no matter what I am in the mood to listen to (Though I find the low end not as punchy as I may have liked but it seems to be improving so it may be how I been wearing them).  I also find them a lot easier to fit in my bag then most headphones I was looking at.

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 22
A necro bump on this. How is the comfort of all of these headphones? I had some vmoda m80s but those just hurt my ears so I am a bit weary of on-ear cans. Are these a bit more comfy.

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #10 of 22
Everyone has different opinions about these headphones. I think the Momentum has a slight warm tilt and a slight bass boost, and it yet out of these three, it seems to me to be the most natural sound, or maybe I should say the higher fidelity sound, or the most expensive sound. I feel that the Momentum has the best overall sound out of these three headphones, but I might be in the minority. Many people prefer the HP 50.

I think HP 50 has awesome deep sub bass, hollow mids.and ok treble.

The P7 has big bass and shimmering treble.

The Momentum is not quite as dark and wide and hi fi as my HD 650, but otherwise, it sounds very similar. Listening to the two back to back, you can definitely tell the Momentum belongs in the Sennheiser family.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #11 of 22
Everyone has different opinions about these headphones. I think the Momentum has a slight warm tilt and a slight bass boost, and it yet out of these three, it seems to me to be the most natural sound, or maybe I should say the higher fidelity sound, or the most expensive sound. I feel that the Momentum has the best overall sound out of these three headphones, but I might be in the minority. Many people prefer the HP 50.

I think HP 50 has awesome deep sub bass, hollow mids.and ok treble.

The P7 has big bass and shimmering treble.

The Momentum is not quite as dark and wide and hi fi as my HD 650, but otherwise, it sounds very similar. Listening to the two back to back, you can definitely tell the Momentum belongs in the Sennheiser family.

The p7 seems to be more suitable for me but its too damn expensive...

I like the momentums because they have full but yet controlled bass with a nice amount of it. The hp50 handle emd well like the momentums? The pads on the hp50 are a bit thin right? My ears touched the drivers on the mdr 1rs...

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #12 of 22
Hi Pedro.

You should definitely audition the HP 50. They are excellent, and the ear cups will fit you better than the Momentum, even if they are not quite as nice.

My main issues with the HP 50 are the plastic, creaky build quality, the Uber geeky ugly headband, and the mids in comparison with the Momentum.

The P7 sounded really good, like you said, they are more costly, and the low-end is probably better for certain kinds of music than others.

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #13 of 22
Hi Pedro.

You should definitely audition the HP 50. They are excellent, and the ear cups will fit you better than the Momentum, even if they are not quite as nice.

My main issues with the HP 50 are the plastic, creaky build quality, the Uber geeky ugly headband, and the mids in comparison with the Momentum.

The P7 sounded really good, like you said, they are more costly, and the low-end is probably better for certain kinds of music than others.

The p7 indeed londk perfect for me but they are too expensive. I absolutely loved the momentum sound...
No love for the denon ah d600? I was mostly using the momentums at home anyway and the denons are now costing 138 euros...

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #14 of 22
Hi Pedro.

My biggest concern with the hp50's is the bass.... not that i am a bass head, but i listen to a bit of everythinh but specially rock, pop and edm.... i liked the bass on the momentums, on my hd25's and on other headphones like the ath m50..... so.... will the bass on the hp50 be enough (in terms of quality, quantity and control)?

I am thinking right now of buying a pair of denon ah d600's.... they can be had for 130 euros now and they seem like a worthy replacement for the momentums.... not in portability of course, but after all i mostly used my momentums at home so......

Any impressions on these denons? I have never tried them, i am buying based on what i read....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back