Sennheiser Momentum vs Audio Technica ath-m50x
Mar 27, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #16 of 20
I agree with most of the posts above.

The Sonys are not the most analytic headphones. On the other hand they provide a cohesive sound that's never 'plastic', 'metallic', or sibilant.
The bass has a slight boost over neutral that gives a sense of warmth without being too powerful and ruining the experience. It could be more controlled, that's right, but the headphone still have lot of pros.

The Momentums are probably more capable headphones technically speaking, but they have a relaxed, laid-back presentation that may or may not suit your personal preferences.

When comfort comes into play, the Sony always takes some advantage.

Best Luck!

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #17 of 20
Yes, the MDR 1A is not the most refined headphone in the low frequencies, but it didn't bother me. The build quality of the Momentums are very good. Better than the already well built MDR 1A, but the ear cups are a bit on the small side. The ear cups are soft on both headphones, but softer on the MDR 1A.

The store that i normally go, only has exposed beats solo and mixr and some low-end senheiser like hd 429, so i can't try the headphones that i may want to buy. The headphone retail here in Portugal is garbage

Mar 27, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #18 of 20
I'm not a fan of the M50s at all. They're my first ever upgrade to headphones over $100 and I quickly outgrew them. They were uncomfortable for long sittings (even 15-20 mins) and the pads are just too slim in profile. I found myself grabbing my Bose in-ears on travels instead which aren't even up to par in SQ. Actually and honestly, I don't find either all that great. They're a huge improvement over Apple earbuds, but I'm scared you'll find yourself with upgradeitis shortly after. I'd go with the Momentums between the two if I had to choose.

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #19 of 20
O na
I'm not a fan of the M50s at all. They're my first ever upgrade to headphones over $100 and I quickly outgrew them. They were uncomfortable for long sittings (even 15-20 mins) and the pads are just too slim in profile. I found myself grabbing my Bose in-ears on travels instead which aren't even up to par in SQ. Actually and honestly, I don't find either all that great. They're a huge improvement over Apple earbuds, but I'm scared you'll find yourself with upgradeitis shortly after. I'd go with the Momentums between the two if I had to choose.

I narrow down to sony mdr-1a and momentum because in-line control is important to me

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #20 of 20
As to sound quality: these are definitely not flat response headphones.
The bass is certainly not boomy, and it's pretty punchy and crisp; however, compared to the Sennheiser Momentum,
the bass is noticeably stronger and slightly overwhelms the rest of the sound.
But some types of music sound better with this kind of frequency shaping.
So it really all depends on what you listen to.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back