Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless - Have I got a faulty set?
Dec 4, 2018 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BigZ12

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, and thanks for reading. Newbie with a little headphone fetish here :)

I got my Sennheiser MTW yesterday. Think I got a faulty one?
I have a crackling noise on the right side on some songs (Intro on Røyksopp/Robin - "Running in the sea" and Disturbed - "Sound of silence" for example) Both with piano on the intros. Could it be a distortion in the mids, typical piano sounds reveal this?
Even worse I get a high pitch metallic noise on tracks with a tight but punchy bass line. If you find the Norwegian artist Kari Bremnes who have fantastic production and SQ, and test tracks like "Det e min sønn" and "Det einaste vi ville". Todd Terje w/Bryan Ferry - "Johnny and Mary" also produce this noise with my set.
Tested the MTW on different devices with same results. (iPhone X w/AAC, Apple TV 4k w/AAC, Avantree Leaf w/aptx ll, Macbook Pro w/AAC & aptx)
I also tested the mentioned songs on Sony WH-1000MX3 and BeatsX, and there's no crackling on the right on the quiet piano intros, nor the "metallic" noise with tight and punchy bass.
Could you test this? Anyone experienced anything similar?

The volume has to be set at at least 60% to hear the noise clearly. (the louder, the worse it gets)

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 3
Please, could any of you who own a pair of the MTW, please listen to Robbie Robertson - Fallen Angels?
Listen to the start of the song. My set is crackling on the right channel, and the "metallic" distortion on the left.
You have to turn up the volume at first, because it's starts at low volume then increasing. You don't have to listen more than 10 sec to know if you have the same distortion I have.
Tested with three other headsets, none of them with similar noise...(Sony MX3, BeatsX and Soundmagic E11C with Avantree Clipper Pro)

Jan 7, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 3
i agree with you that MTW has an issue with using the optimum codec on both MacOS and IOS. On MacOS I have been unable to force AAC or AptX. Example issues : bass distortions on both YouTube and Apple Music on Hans Zimmer - Time at 30secs in on the right ear piece. Using Sennheiser IE800 via Apple dongle, AptX Bluetooth Astell & Keen XB10 AAC receiver and Chord Mojo there is no such distortion.

Test confirmation : MacOS with Astell & Kern XB10 and forcing standard Bluetooth SBC codec there is some distortion but not as pronounced.

MTW does not have AAC implemented with Apple products.

Perhaps an Android user could test confirm AptX and AAC functions.

Note there are lots of other pieces of music and movies I have evidenced with SBC distortion and I have returned my MTWs to JB HIFI in Sydney as it’s irritating and Sennheiser have not released a firmware update to correct this.

The issue may be coming from naitive Apple Music in AAC and being resampled to SBC. The distortion may not occur with RedBook to SBC or MP3 to SBC or OGG to SBC I have no means to test.

It should irk the consumer though if the MTWs are unable to utilise the optimum codecs, hopefully firmware update will be forth coming or recalls. There are a handful of reporters of the issue now, I have corresponded with Sennheiser myself but they have been slow to get back to me. Cheers Ashley

Users who are viewing this thread

Back