Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 4
Mar 10, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #47 of 125
Can anyone compare these to the Sony's XM5's or the Technics Az-80. I have both and I'm wondering how they compare.
I'm right in it... 80s vs MTW4...the 80's headroom/clarity is better. The MTW4's noise canceling is better, which is as important to me as the sound quality. Volume is a problem with the Senns, I think I just need to make an adjustment either on the player or in the Senn APP. The sound is also dependent on which music APP I'm using. Need to pick one and stick with it.

I will be using on airplanes so, all the other important features like Transparent mode, phone calls, switching sources....I wont be paying attention too. It is a tough decision. One will be returned.

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #48 of 125
I'm right in it... 80s vs MTW4...the 80's headroom/clarity is better. The MTW4's noise canceling is better, which is as important to me as the sound quality. Volume is a problem with the Senns, I think I just need to make an adjustment either on the player or in the Senn APP. The sound is also dependent on which music APP I'm using. Need to pick one and stick with it.

I will be using on airplanes so, all the other important features like Transparent mode, phone calls, switching sources....I wont be paying attention too. It is a tough decision. One will be returned.

I listen to music at higher than normal volumes and if the mtw4 are too low for you, use the sound personalization to make it louder

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #49 of 125
I listen to music at higher than normal volumes and if the mtw4 are too low for you, use the sound personalization to make it louder
One of questions is about volume of strings/bass?, ...and at its max, it was soft. The first time I did the personalization and turned on the music it was LOUD. I'm struggling to recreate because after lowering the players volume, I have not been able to get to do again. I'm on my 3rd personalization attempt.

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #50 of 125
One of questions is about volume of strings/bass?, ...and at its max, it was soft. The first time I did the personalization and turned on the music it was LOUD. I'm struggling to recreate because after lowering the players volume, I have not been able to get to do again. I'm on my 3rd personalization attempt.
The third attempt with the the customazation worked, plus using Wavelet to boost gain. I'm using AZLA SednaEarfit Crystal, waiting for the Max to be deleivered to A/B with the Crystal. I love the way they sound now. I still cannot return AZ-80s, they sound so good now with Wavelet too. And I need 2 for average plane ride.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #51 of 125
The third attempt with the the customazation worked, plus using Wavelet to boost gain. I'm using AZLA SednaEarfit Crystal, waiting for the Max to be deleivered to A/B with the Crystal. I love the way they sound now. I still cannot return AZ-80s, they sound so good now with Wavelet too. And I need 2 for average plane ride.
How much are you boosting the AZ-80 with wavelet?

With sound personalization the Senns are loud enough for me with a bit of headroom. But the AZ-80 are not with some music.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:23 PM Post #52 of 125
Any idea what the 20ms latency advertised on this headset supposed to be based on? I think it's from LE audio or something like that, but I can't prove it. The bitrate on LC3 is audibly lower than Aptx adaptive(low), and it's listed as 16khz when it runs on LC3. The low latency mode is supposed to be a general boost to every codec according to the manual. RTINGS is going to review this soon. I did send an email to Sennheiser, but I don't expect them to be any help.

Mar 20, 2024 at 2:20 AM Post #53 of 125
Any idea what the 20ms latency advertised on this headset supposed to be based on? I think it's from LE audio or something like that, but I can't prove it. The bitrate on LC3 is audibly lower than Aptx adaptive(low), and it's listed as 16khz when it runs on LC3. The low latency mode is supposed to be a general boost to every codec according to the manual. RTINGS is going to review this soon. I did send an email to Sennheiser, but I don't expect them to be any help.

I read some time ago that the 20ms latency is a new feature of Qualcomm S3 Gen 2 platform.
It is usually marketed with regards to gaming, not music listening. So not necessarily related to LE audio, which is another feature of S3 Gen2.

16 bit, 44.1 kHz is already at CD level
24-bit 96kHz is high-resolution streaming, using aptX™ Adaptive sound on compatbile devices
Changing of the codes must be perfumed in the app.

LE audio and auracast are not yet available, probably will be release in the future with firmware updates.

Mar 20, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #54 of 125
I read some time ago that the 20ms latency is a new feature of Qualcomm S3 Gen 2 platform.
It is usually marketed with regards to gaming, not music listening. So not necessarily related to LE audio, which is another feature of S3 Gen2.

16 bit, 44.1 kHz is already at CD level
24-bit 96kHz is high-resolution streaming, using aptX™ Adaptive sound on compatbile devices
Changing of the codes must be perfumed in the app.

LE audio and auracast are not yet available, probably will be release in the future with firmware updates.
1710929447186.png

I believe this is the answer I just got via email. The Aptx lite is listed as UNICAST and LE.

1710929654252.png

1710929676757.png
They seem to have accidentally? left the 16khz LC3 enabled on this device. So as far as I can tell this is our 20ms low latency gaming mode we already have access to right now. And I'll avoid firmware updates for the next few months...

Mar 20, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #55 of 125
More than half the time I find that the app (iOS) Smart Control doesn't launch. It wants to go through set up procedure.
I am trying to launch it with MTW4 in my ears and connected to iPhone bluetooth.
Any ideas?

Mar 20, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #56 of 125
How much are you boosting the AZ-80 with wavelet?
3-5 db, I am still adjusting depending on the song. I'm not going to EQ each song so I hope there is a gain setting that works and I'll keep it there. I think Wavelet remembers the gain setting from the previous session, according to which TWS is connected. A very good feature.
Clipping did occur with other in the 80s, I backed off some gain which worked.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #57 of 125
3-5 db, I am still adjusting depending on the song. I'm not going to EQ each song so I hope there is a gain setting that works and I'll keep it there. I think Wavelet remembers the gain setting from the previous session, according to which TWS is connected. A very good feature.
Clipping did occur with other 80s,I backed off some gain which worked.
Thanks! oh so you've tried this with multiple sets of 80's?

Mar 20, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #58 of 125
Clipping did occur with other in the 80s, I backed off some gain which worked.
Thanks! oh so you've tried this with multiple sets of 80's?
Nope, it was a typo. Thanks for pointing it out. And thanks for all your help, besides me I'm sure others benefit too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back