Sennheiser Momentum sound with more bass
Nov 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

markwilliamsweb

Head-Fier
Hi,

I have recently purchased the over ear Momentums and whilst I think they sound great in terms of details, I feel they lack some bass to my ears. I have the V-Moda M80's and to me they don't have the detail of the Momentum's, but the bass is spot on. I of course immediately looked at the M100's, but from what I've read they are a tad too bass heavy and not quite as nice sounding as the Momentum's.

Another headphone I've just started looking at is the Philips Fidelio L1. From what I have read it is a great sounding headphone with a good amount of bass.

Can anyone give me some advice as to if the Fidelio L1 is on a par with the Momentum in terms of SQ and does it actually have more bass? When I talk about bass I mean quantity, obviously quality would be good too, but I just feel it's missing a little on the Momentum for my liking. As mentioned earlier, the M80 has the perfect amount of bass for me.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 6
I think M-100 + XL pads = M-80 bass.  By default the M-100 has a stronger but more diffused bass compare to the Momuntum, and with the XL pads the bass is tone down towards more neutral, like the M-80.  I have never heard the L1 so I can't advise you on that.

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the response Doc.

So that's really interesting, especially as the M-100's have come down in price in the UK. How do you find the SQ of the M-100 compared to the Momentum?

I have punted for the L1, so should get them tomorrow, but can always send them back. I'll post my thoughts on how they compare to the Momentum.

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 6
Both are different in a good way and neck in neck in terms of quality.  However, the M-100 is a much more well rounded package over the Momentum because:

1, Momentum use a custom locking 2.5mm plug on the phone end, which makes it hard to find replacement cable; the M-100 uses standard 3.5mm plug.
2, the pad for the Momentum is smaller than the M-100 stock, and with the XL pad for the M-100, comfort can't be beat.
3, XL pad brings the sound for the M-100 towards neutral as mentioned before.
4, BoomPro Mic is great for VoIP and gaming.
5, the M-100 is much more compact and tough.
6, Amazon in Europe drop the price for the M-100 to 200 euros more than once, which is a total steal.
7, custom shields.

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 6
Okay I have received the Fidelio L1 and given them a quick A-B with the Momentums. My initial thoughts are below.

Momentum vs Fidelio L1

1. The bass is definitely more to my liking. It is warmer sounding and a little more in quantity to my ears.
  2. The presentation is much more laid-back to the Momentums. You don't feel as involved in the music.
  3. The details are good, but because of the more forward presentation of the Momentums they sound a little more distant. Although they are there.
  4. The treble is nice, rolled off, a lot like the Momentum.
  5. Looks-wise I would say they are on a par with the Momentum, although they have a very different style.
  6. They don't isolate quite as-well as the Momentum, but there isn't a massive difference here.
  7. They are heavier and bigger, so that makes them not quite as portable. Although this isn't a killer for me.

So to sum up, I am very much undecided as to if I should keep them. I'm going to put some more hours on them tonight and I'll post some further thoughts later. Right now I quite like them, but I just don't think they sound quite as good as the Momentums, although I do prefer the bass.

Nov 14, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 6
Okay this was a difficult one. I had a good listen to the L1's last night and before I went to bed, boxed them up ready to go back. I felt like they were a little too laid back and lacking in some detail compared to the Momentum.

However. I gave them one last go when I got into work and with fresh ears and not doing any hardcore A-B testing, was really enjoying them. I think the thing is that they aren't as an engaging listen, especially compared to the Momentums, but for work that is perfect. I actually don't want to be distracted. The warm smooth sound is spot on.

So I have decided to keep them and the Momentum's. I will use the Momentum as my main portable as the L1's are a bit to big for portables I think. The Momentum will probably be my all rounder, but for a more engaging listen I will use the Momentum. I think I will sell my M-80's, not because I don't like them, but I can't see me using them whilst having these two phones. They have given 1 and half years of joy though.

Anyway, I hope my findings help someone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back