Sennheiser Momentum, Sony MDR-1R or V-Moda Crossfade M-100?
Feb 2, 2013 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Humannequin

New Head-Fier
Can't choose between the Momentum, MDR-1R or M-100. I need a good portable headphone, that sounds good with metal/hardcore (I'll link examples of the main kinds of music I listen to). I use my 160GB iPod Classic (AAC files) and I do not have an amp yet, but I plan on getting a Fiio E7.

I would really appreciate a well-detailed response!

Music examples:

Northlane - "Transcending Dimensions (Metal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrUodQTv_Po

Comeback Kid - "Do Yourself A Favor" (Hardcore): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQIgVoaW9eI

Being As An Ocean - "The Hardest Part..." (Post-Hardcore): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3MBv5-H9oE

Ships and Sailing - "Made of Crystals" (Ambient Hardcore): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4pdV79l0nc

Feb 2, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 27
MDR-1R is probably the best choice. It's punchy, but mostly quite even and natural. 

Momentum is fairly smooth and laid back, which would make the metal sound a little unexcited (still a great headphone, just a softer/different flavour)
I think the V-moda has too much bass for these genres.

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #4 of 27
Sony MDR-1R.

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 27
Momentum.
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:
Bad troll!
+1 to 1R

It's not a troll, just an opinion. I own the Sennheiser Momentum (because I think it's better than the R1 as an all-rounder), but recommended the R1 for these specific genres, which is also an opinion. 
The OP will also make their own opinions once the headphone is bought, and (although very unlikely) even may not like the headphone! Which is again would be an opinion. 

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:
It's not a troll, just an opinion. I own the Sennheiser Momentum (because I think it's better than the R1 as an all-rounder), but recommended the R1 for these specific genres, which is also an opinion. 
The OP will also make their own opinions once the headphone is bought, and (although very unlikely) even may not like the headphone! Which is again would be an opinion. 

Yeah in general the Momentum is considered the better headphone overall isn't it.

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:
Bad troll!
+1 to 1R

Not a troll at all. I owned both, at the same time, and listened to both extensively. I preferred the Sennheiser over the Sony. It's simply a matter of taste.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #13 of 27
owned all three. all sounded nice, just emphasized different things.

M100: solid bass-emphasis & a v-shaped sound signature. I really thought the bass boost was done very well as it did not bleed into the bleeds or sound muffled. i personally had comfort issues w/ these due to the shallow earcup depth. however, sound was fantastic imo if you are looking for a headphones that sound really "fun," and are really amazing with electronic/edm/dupstep/house/trance music or anything else with a solid bassline, these will definitely rock! amazing build quality, amazing warranty, folds into a tiny ball with a cool hard case. cool features like being able use both L & R ports on the headphones to either  play 2 different sources into the headphones at the same time or to daisy chain your music to another pair of headphones. also comes w/ a one button&mic cable and a share play cable. 

Momentum: very neutral sounding IMO similar to the akg k550 except with a slight bass boost over the akg k550. probably least amount of bass out of the three imo. if you are looking for close-to-neutral portable headphones, these are the ones to go. however, these do not fold up for more compact storage and the earcup is more on-ear than over ear. this may cause discomfort during longer listening sessions. these do come with a hard case. headphones are very light and small due to the small semi-on-ear earcups.

MDR-1R: midcentric with warm bass. these are definitely colored, but not in a bad way. very very extremely comfortable to wear on your head and around your neck. soft carry case. some users complained of a jack rattle issue, but I have not personally experienced that. If I were to choose a great all-rounder pair of portable, comfortable headphones, I would choose this one.

If I had to decide only on sound, I would pick the M100. For comfort/style/sound, I would pick the MDR-1R. The Momentums are great if you are looking for very close to neutral sound, but I preferred the AKG K550's neutral/flat sound over the Momentums.

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 27
Very nice impression money4me...now i am on the fence..between mdr r1 / momentum / m100...i plan to get either two of those three..but still dunno which and which to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back