Sennheiser Momentum, Sony MDR-1R or AKG K550?
Nov 15, 2013 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ixampano

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm a student of "Musical Engineer" here in Mexico. I already have some M-Audio Studio monitors, but since I live with my parents, have 3 little brothers and I usually work untill late on college projects, I have to get some good headphones :).

My Budget is 300$ Dollars Maximum. I'm obviously looking for a "Flat response", I know the ideal thing would be to get open headphones, but I have 3 little brothers who make tons noise, so it's better to get closed headphones. Honestly I don't have any experience with headphones asides from making the mistake of buying some Beats Pro a while ago (They broke up for no reason in 4 months...).

I've been researching about it, and after see the prices on the best buy near to my home. Sennheiser Momentum, Sony MDR-1R and AKG K550 are the models that really hook me up. Those Models are pretty much at the same price, 300$ Dollars (Except the Sony's, they're like 200$ Because this weekend it's the Mexican black friday and they are on offer).

So... I don't know aftear try them at the store (with some awful mixed electronic music, had to add :p) the AKG's feel like the flatter response to me; I felt the Sony's where a little bit over emphatized on the bass deparment and the Momentum where not that far from the Sony's. Anyway, asides from use the headphones for some light mixing for college projects, I will be listening to Metal, Jazz and Clasical music with them all day. I do want flat response, but since I already have studio monitors and I'll be using the cans for secundary usage, I could give up a little bit of flat response in exchange for some headphones that have a little bit of edge into the Metal music department :p.

Since I'm a Newbiee, I'd like to hear some other recommendations on headphone on this range :).

We don't have Amazon nor Ebay here so... yeah Don't recommend me buy from those places plz.
Prices here are pretty close to U.S List price on most of the headphones (Sometimes cheaper, sometimes more expensive).

Brands that are relative easy to find here: SENHHEISER, AKG, SONY.
Brands that are a little bit harder to get: Shure,Beyerdynamic (although I saw some Custom one Pro at best buy :p), Audiotechnica.

Brand that doesn't exist here: Grado, Kepcher, Ultrasone.

That's all, guys. Thank you for  taking the time  to answer this :)

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 4
I just got from store... they all were sold out :'( .After trying many diffentents headphones, I Ended up with some Harman/Kardon CL for about 200$... Love them, obviusly they're not quite at the same level of any of the headphones I was going to buy, but... Man, they aren't that far away as long as Sound quality

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 4
I just got from store... they all were sold out :'( .After trying many diffentents headphones, I Ended up with some Harman/Kardon CL for about 200$... Love them, obviusly they're not quite at the same level of any of the headphones I was going to buy, but... Man, they aren't that far away as long as Sound quality

Here's the point, listen to what you like not what others like!

Enjoy your listening ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back