Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Aug 13, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #2,401 of 3,594
Quote:
From what I heard the M100 is a lot more bassy than the Momentums. If you prefer more bass then go for the M100
tongue.gif

Lol that's what they all say 
rolleyes.gif
 Yeah, don't get me wrong, I like the bass but a rich and well thought out bass. Not one that could potentially snap my spine 
biggrin.gif
. Having said that I wish I had a retailer in Canada that actually carried these two so that I could stop asking on forums. It's terrible not being able to find an answer on the web. 

You'd think that people would be comparing headphones with Radiohead more often hahhaha.

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #2,402 of 3,594
Quote:
Quote:
From what I heard the M100 is a lot more bassy than the Momentums. If you prefer more bass then go for the M100
tongue.gif

Lol that's what they all say 
rolleyes.gif
 Yeah, don't get me wrong, I like the bass but a rich and well thought out bass. Not one that could potentially snap my spine 
biggrin.gif
. Having said that I wish I had a retailer in Canada that actually carried these two so that I could stop asking on forums. It's terrible not being able to find an answer on the web. 

You'd think that people would be comparing headphones with Radiohead more often hahhaha.

Radiohead on Momentums sound good. (as does most rock and metal - Momentums are genre masters)
Any more bass and rock music would be too bassy.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #2,403 of 3,594
I had the M100's and as much as I wanted to love them, I found them unbalanced, bass heavy with recessed mids and highs.  When I got the Momentums, I immediately put my M100's up for sale.  I find they they have an overall better balance.  Bass is not as tight but I do prefer the overall presentation.  Note that my main headphone is the HD800. YMMV.
Quote:
I don't know if I should get the Momentums or the V-Moda M100's. ARRRGGGHHH!!! I'm far from being an audiophile (have not developed a good enough ear to truly distinguish parts) as of yet but if I was to drop over $300 dollars, I'd want the best choice. I haven't heard how well these stack up against the M100's with alternative/experimental bands like Radiohead......anyone have any experience with this?

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #2,404 of 3,594
I have the Momentums and the m100s. The Momentums sound better, but I really enjoy the the m100s. Both cans have a pretty powerful bass, the m100 is more rumbly and the Momentum is more punchy. I think the Momentums would be better for Radiohead-esque sound. I enjoy the m100s for rap, but for pretty much everything else I think the Momentums are better. 

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #2,406 of 3,594
I have been last weekend at the shop where they have choices. I have auditioned HD449, new HD25 with aluminum caps, HD700, HD650, all types of Momentums (Black, Brown, Ivory). I must admit it was an interesting experience.

Why HD449? These headphones have really nice sound. They cost 1/3 of Momentum price and they sound very good. Their earpads are big enough to fit my ears in, which is where my Momentum disappointed me, and it is why I am looking for new headphones for use at my work. Basically I am looking for closed cans because I don't want to disturb others around me. The HD449 at first moment looked like it could be the thing I am looking for, but then I had to audition all they had there.

I put brown Momentum on to remember how they sound, and at that moment I felt like with HD449 I would be missing this detailed sound that Momentum produce. Then I tried new HD25 with metal caps (aluminum I think). There is a difference between Momentum and HD25. I think Momentums sound acoustic, while HD25 sound like typical monitor. I would prefer HD25 because I like monitor type more. I own HD215 and HD570 and if I were to compare sound signatures, Momentum are very close to HD570 while HD25 are very close to HD215, but unlike HD570 and HD215 which are very comfortable to wear, both Momentum and HD25 are huge disappointment to me.

I also tried ivory Momentum on-ear hoping they might solve the comfort issue. And in fact they did. They clamp your ears much less, and they go on you ears. In fact I was felling more like hugging to a pillow rather than that pain I feel when wearing their bigger brother. Unfortunately they are not perfect, and they have a very irritating flow - sound quality. I think their bass is better than the bass of bigger brother, but then the whole nice detail that bigger brother has is just not there. However their price was 2/3 of the price of bigger brother.

I own Momentum, and I was really thinking about getting either HD25 or on-ear Momentum, but after more thought I just decided to look for some good IEM's.

The champions: HD650 and HD700. Here both comfort-wise and sq-wise they are different as night and day. HD650 are slow indeed, and muffled if compared to HD700. Also the clamping of HD650's headband is terrible (at least for my head). The HD700 on other hand had very nice design and I could wear them without felling any fatigue. They sound acoustic, and the quality of imaging is comparable to good hi-fi speakers. Would I buy HD700? The answer is: No. Why? Because they cost same money as LCD2 or even ESP950, so I'll pass.

My advice for you is if you don't own any model of Momentum or HD25, maybe find a shop where they have them and audition them. For the money they are quite nice choice, but I must warn you, there is ATH-M50 for half of their price, and really decent sound quality. The only problem is whether M50 is cool to wear on street...

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #2,407 of 3,594
Quote:
I have been last weekend at the shop where they have choices. I have auditioned HD449, new HD25 with aluminum caps, HD700, HD650, all types of Momentums (Black, Brown, Ivory). I must admit it was an interesting experience.

Why HD449? These headphones have really nice sound. They cost 1/3 of Momentum price and they sound very good. Their earpads are big enough to fit my ears in, which is where my Momentum disappointed me, and it is why I am looking for new headphones for use at my work. Basically I am looking for closed cans because I don't want to disturb others around me. The HD449 at first moment looked like it could be the thing I am looking for, but then I had to audition all they had there.

I put brown Momentum on to remember how they sound, and at that moment I felt like with HD449 I would be missing this detailed sound that Momentum produce. Then I tried new HD25 with metal caps (aluminum I think). There is a difference between Momentum and HD25. I think Momentums sound acoustic, while HD25 sound like typical monitor. I would prefer HD25 because I like monitor type more. I own HD215 and HD570 and if I were to compare sound signatures, Momentum are very close to HD570 while HD25 are very close to HD215, but unlike HD570 and HD215 which are very comfortable to wear, both Momentum and HD25 are huge disappointment to me.

I also tried ivory Momentum on-ear hoping they might solve the comfort issue. And in fact they did. They clamp your ears much less, and they go on you ears. In fact I was felling more like hugging to a pillow rather than that pain I feel when wearing their bigger brother. Unfortunately they are not perfect, and they have a very irritating flow - sound quality. I think their bass is better than the bass of bigger brother, but then the whole nice detail that bigger brother has is just not there. However their price was 2/3 of the price of bigger brother.

I own Momentum, and I was really thinking about getting either HD25 or on-ear Momentum, but after more thought I just decided to look for some good IEM's.

The champions: HD650 and HD700. Here both comfort-wise and sq-wise they are different as night and day. HD650 are slow indeed, and muffled if compared to HD700. Also the clamping of HD650's headband is terrible (at least for my head). The HD700 on other hand had very nice design and I could wear them without felling any fatigue. They sound acoustic, and the quality of imaging is comparable to good hi-fi speakers. Would I buy HD700? The answer is: No. Why? Because they cost same money as LCD2 or even ESP950, so I'll pass.

My advice for you is if you don't own any model of Momentum or HD25, maybe find a shop where they have them and audition them. For the money they are quite nice choice, but I must warn you, there is ATH-M50 for half of their price, and really decent sound quality. The only problem is whether M50 is cool to wear on street...

Lot's of good information there. I currently own the M50's and I really do enjoy the sound. I gave them to my little sister though and was wanting to upgrade to a more complete and detailed sound. I've always heard good things about the HD25 as well. 

Your right though, I need to get my hands on both and see how they work with me. I need a good set of mobile headphones to take with me out every day (school, work, commuting, etc). It was always the M100 vs the Momentums for me and I like the idea of a over ear closed headphone but I'll have to look more into the HD25's. Thanks for the information!

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #2,408 of 3,594
Quote:
It's this one. http://www.rakuten.com/prod/505796-momentum-on-ear-brown/252527719.html.  I didn't know there were multiple versions, last I remembered there was only one. I'll check it when I get home.  

Since the wrong headphones are pictured, the strategy to try at BB would be to insist on price-matching a brown pair of Momentums like the ones pictured on the Rakuten product page.  For the moment, the on-ear model doesn't come in brown. 

Make the conversation about the color alone and the sales rep will either follow along or refuse. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #2,410 of 3,594
the HD449 is sounds similar to the ATH-M50 with similar sound signature while the Momentum sounds similar to the Open-back HD650 with very similar sound signature but of course Momentum has a congested sound stage due to it's small earcups closed-back design but Momentum gain a huge plus because it sounds lively and involving like a real speaker rather than analytical as the HD449 and M50 would do. So they are at the very different league. Sound signature is a personal preference, depending on genre of music that you're listening. All rounders I would pick HD449 or Momentum.

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #2,411 of 3,594
If you're listening to Dubstep, Hip Hop, Punk Music, electronic music, any music with emphasize on bass will do best with M-100. On the other hand, Momentum would be good for all genre for a traveler headphone especially Rock, Pop , Jazz and Classical music.

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #2,412 of 3,594
Quote:
Riiiiight, lets all work together to come up with the beat way to try and screw over Best Buy...

R-i-i-i-g-h-t, because a head-fi member's business is the last thing Best Buy wants and they haven't made obscene amounts of jingle by violating customers' privacy and selling information in any way at all.  The only people I love more are the lovely Walton Brothers who lovingly abuse the indentured wage slaves of Walmart.

Here's to my undying allegiance to chain stores and their systematic beautification of the East Coast, immeasurable gift to world culture and celebration of the individual whose neighborhood store they outbid.  Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to kneel at the threshold of the 7-Eleven feed station that's replacing my favorite Brazilian tapas/poetry wifi cafe.

Ah, diversity -- what a dismal distraction from branding!

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #2,413 of 3,594
Quote:

R-i-i-i-g-h-t, because a head-fi member's business is the last thing Best Buy wants and they haven't made obscene amounts of jingle by violating customers' privacy and selling information in any way at all.  The only people I love more are the lovely Walton Brothers who lovingly abuse the indentured wage slaves of Walmart.

Here's to my undying allegiance to chain stores and their systematic beautification of the East Coast, immeasurable gift to world culture and celebration of the individual whose neighborhood store they outbid.  Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to kneel at the threshold of the 7-Eleven feed station that's replacing my favorite Brazilian tapas/poetry wifi cafe.

Ah, diversity -- what a dismal distraction from branding!

I'd like to see any information you have that shows that Best Buy is selling customer information and violating privacy rights.  Also, Best Buy does care about Head-Fi member's business.  Are they going to put up a Head-Fi display?  Probably not, as it wouldn't really make much business sense.  The Head-Fi community, while dear to me, is not a massive consumer group that should act as any retailers sole source of market research.  It has been a wealth of information for me, both personally and professionally, but is not indicative of the your average consumer.   

For the record, I work for Best Buy.  Specifically with regard to the headphone business in the Magnolia Home Theater stores.  So I would say I have a bit of insight here.    

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #2,414 of 3,594
Quote:
I'd like to see any information you have that shows that Best Buy is selling customer information and violating privacy rights.

You might want to look at this.

From the article in Lawyers and Settlements"The lawsuit alleges Best Buy has established a business practice of taking, storing, using and/or sharing customers’ personal or highly restricted personal information, without consent, when customers make a normal return of Best Buy merchandise. Their receipt indicates that Best Buy “tracks exchanges and returns … and some of the information from your ID may be stored in a secure, encrypted database of customer activity that Best Buy and its affiliates use to track exchanges and returns.”

Though the 11th Circuit later dismissed the suit filed in November 22, 2011 (as reported elsewhere), they did so because BB's activity did not violate customers' privacy in the current legal sense, not because customers' privacy is inviolate in the practical sense.  BB is still going to glean and store information from swiping licenses which a lot of potential customers would rather they didn't possess.

And then of course there was that incident with the Geek Squad in which a customer's personal nude photos were posted online by BB staff members who worked on her computer.

From a different report in the Huffington Post:

"This isn't the first time a Geek Squad employee has decided to grab a customer's nude pictures from a computer. . . .  In 2007, William E. Giffels was fired after he admitted to storing a customer's nude pictures on his personal flash drive, according to The Star Tribune."

Personal-information-sharing is part of the discount card package that greets, and cashier who hectors, the customer at every BB cash register.  In this, BB is no different from Duane Reade or nearly any other chain that offers a discount card. 

Violating customers' privacy without asking for specific permissions is something that major companies have done since one of our previous presidents signed the omission into law:  BB is not being singled out here.  They are being included because (1) your company makes money selling customers' private information and (2) the person from Dallas's accusation was that anyone who tried to buy Momentums at an On-Ear-priced discount was "screwing over" BB.  BB is not some innocent enterprise to be tainted by the evil Head-fi member who looks for a substantial discount -- which the salesperson and BB would have to approve before the discount could ever go into effect. 

Notice that I never mentioned privacy rights in the legal sense, as you did.  That's because calling what BB does illegal would be a ridiculous claim and one you can't possibly be serious about attributing to me.

Quote:
Also, Best Buy does care about Head-Fi member's business.

Yes, BB does care about head-fi members' business, which was my point:  Buying headphones at a discount is still offering BB one's business.  Whether or not the discount is an acceptable one to honor is up to BB and not the customer. 

The same is true of customers who combine discounts and coupons.  Combinations might work in ways that seem too good to be true, but using them is not to be conflated with "screwing over" Best Buy.

The truth is that BB "screws over" entire neighborhoods, local communities and stores every time they move massive stores into new territory flanked by smaller stores, just as B&N and Borders closed innumerable small bookstores decades ago.  (The irony is that Borders is now gone, B&N is losing money and, despite the growing sales of ebooks, indie book stores are making a comeback.)

BB is certainly leagues better than Walmart in terms of how they treat their employees, and their merchandise is far more useful to me, but that's not what you and I happen to be discussing. 

Also:  You seemed to miss the fact I was being sarcastic about BB not wanting head-fi's business (as was the gentleman from Dixie in addressing my post).  That makes me skeptical about your entire interpretation of my post.

Quote:
For the record, I work for Best Buy.  Specifically with regard to the headphone business in the Magnolia Home Theater stores.  So I would say I have a bit of insight here.  

You might have insight into aspects of BB's business, but you might also have a conflict of interests which I do not.  Investigating corporate abuses is something I do on my own time and not for money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back