Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Jul 25, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #2,311 of 3,594
Apple didn't invent the TRRS plug. They just adapted it, and patented its use for the 3-button mic. And that's about it. It was used before Apple got to it for number of different things. Perhaps it was because Apple used it for their mobile phones that it got popular, but don't forget that RIM and Nokia used TRRS BEFORE Apple even released the iPhone. The TRRS standard has nothing to do with Apple at all. And in fact, Nokia's TRRS was the unique one. You could only use specific TRRS adapters for Nokia phones otherwise it wouldn't work with those headphones. RIM, Samsung, Apple, and other major phone manufacturers all use the standard TRRS configuration, which means that they are using a universal standard. The only difference is the software implementation which is patented to Apple. This is why you can still use Apple branded cables on other devices. The only difference is that two buttons will be completely functionless, and only the middle button will do anything. 

I don't like Apple much at all, but I don't blame them for things they didn't do. 

I can't tell you for sure, but from what I have read it was the Nokia who did the standard and it is used by Sony and Samsung, while Apple decided to invent it's own one. I also think that in Apple's standard fourth pin is used for data transmission (play/stop button and maybe sth else), and that works only with Apple i-devices. Why Apple couldn't use Nokia's standard? They did it to make their devices incompatible, and they knew manufacturers will manufacture rather for i-devices than for Nokia and others. Typical for Apple.

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #2,312 of 3,594
No difference to me between the cables.

If you connect Momentums to proper hi-fi at home you would certainly notice that using good thick after market cable you get much more detail than with thin stock one. This is only my guess. Does anyone know where can I get good aftermarket cable (twisted pair maybe) in reasonable price that will fit Momentums?

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #2,313 of 3,594
Just got a pair of Momentum today after living with the vmoda M100 since January. As much as I wanted to love the M100, just couldn't stand the sucked out highs... especially owninging the HD800. I think the Momentums will be a good on-the-go/travel companion to compliment the HD800. So far, I'm liking them very much and they're super comfy. Looking forward to hear what their like with the MacBook Air and DragonFly.

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #2,314 of 3,594
Quote:
I can't tell you for sure, but from what I have read it was the Nokia who did the standard and it is used by Sony and Samsung, while Apple decided to invent it's own one. I also think that in Apple's standard fourth pin is used for data transmission (play/stop button and maybe sth else), and that works only with Apple i-devices. Why Apple couldn't use Nokia's standard? They did it to make their devices incompatible, and they knew manufacturers will manufacture rather for i-devices than for Nokia and others. Typical for Apple.

The TRRS plugs are compatible across the board except Nokia and occasionally on Blackberry (the newer ones don't share this issue). I've tested TRRS plugs on many different phones, seen them tested on many different phones. Maybe everyone adapted the standard that Apple created later, but as it stands, the current TRRS plugs work on every phone I've come across except Nokia. Perhaps things changed, I'm not sure, but again, Apple didn't invent it, and now they align with the standard, so I don't see the issue. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #2,315 of 3,594
Quote:
If you connect Momentums to proper hi-fi at home you would certainly notice that using good thick after market cable you get much more detail than with thin stock one. This is only my guess. Does anyone know where can I get good aftermarket cable (twisted pair maybe) in reasonable price that will fit Momentums?

Yeah, and elephants fly... 

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #2,316 of 3,594
Yeah, and elephants fly... 

Geez... Well cable wars? Technically speaking, thick cable has lower resistance and lower impedance than thin cable. In thick cable more current can flow and that gives power to bass, and also damping factor of high frequencies is lower and that gives better detail and soundstage.

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #2,317 of 3,594
Geez... Well cable wars? Technically speaking, thick cable has lower resistance and lower impedance than thin cable. In thick cable more current can flow and that gives power to bass, and also damping factor of high frequencies is lower and that gives better detail and soundstage.

Oooooooh i need my popcorn.... I will say, i have owned recabled headphones in the past. One pair i actually preferred with the stock cable. Recabling doesnt necessarily make a pair of headphones "Better"

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #2,320 of 3,594

There is a table in that article that tells you how long can be a cable of given gauge to power speakers with given impedance.
Momentum are 16 Ohm, and their stock cable is 5 feet long.

There is no entry for 16 Ohm in that table, but I have done some simple calculations based on one of the entries, and I have picked this one: 2 Ohm, 20 AWG, 5 feet.
The cross sectional area of 20 AWG cable is 0.52 square mm, and the Momentum 16 Ohm are 8 times 2 Ohm. So cable needs to at least have diameter equal square root of 0.52 divided by 8.

0.52 square mm / (16 Ohm / 2 Ohm) = 0.065 square mm
sqrt(0.065) ~ 0.26 mm

So each wire needs to be 0.26 mm thick for 5 feet cable. Momentum stock cable is 2 mm thick with insulation and there are three wires inside.
Let's assume Sennheiser did proper calculations and wire is just fine (which I doubt). But what happens with these three wires after time passes?

The cable with TRRS jack has four wires and it's also 2mm with insulation. The way TRRS is wired makes it even more suspicious.
According to sources one wire should go straight from jack to left transducer, while other wires are split in pilot into to parts.
So current has to flow from wire through some stuff in pilot, and then back to wire and to right transducer. This doesn't sound very promising.

I am not advocating here buying expensive cables, but for me stock cable looks too thin, and unreliable. I would prefer it to be twisted pair, then each wire would be separate. This doesn't have to cost fortune. At the end of day one can make such cable himself by simply twisting three cables. The only issue is small 2.5mm jack, and high precision soldering.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #2,321 of 3,594
On ear vs. over ear

http://personalaudio.ru/raa/otchety/naushniki/senheiser-momentum/

http://personalaudio.ru/raa/otchety/naushniki/sennheiser-momentum-on-ear/

I looks like on ear is more v-shaped, while over ear is more flat.

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #2,325 of 3,594
So, I didn't notice a difference between the cables. I switched between the two cables on my magni/modi stack and they both sounded exactly alike. 

While the cable may look flimsy I've been using it daily for about four months. I walk probably 3+ miles a day (no car in NYC) in whatever weather the world throws at me, the cable still works perfect. It does look a little worn around the edges where it plugs into the source, but it hasn't affected performance and I think it's just normal daily wear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back