Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Apr 5, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #1,712 of 3,594
Quote:
Most headphones compared to HD800 don't sound transparent.
That isn't a matter of taste.

Although the signature sure is. I don't like the HD800 as I think there's too much treble.

I agree, though compared to the HD800 the HP100 is more transparent than the momentum.
Thats what I wanted to say actually.

GREQ i also found the momentum uncomfortable and I have about average sized ears.
It was more uncomfortable on one ear than on the other. Probably because our left and the right ear aren't exactly the same in size and shape.

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #1,713 of 3,594
Quote:
 Probably because our left and the right ear aren't exactly the same in size and shape.

Also I and others have noticed that Momentum earpads are not always identical - one of the drawbacks of using real leather. 

I've wanted to listen to the HP100 for quite a few months now, but alas Frankfurt isn't exactly overflowing with anything other than German and Austrian headphones. From what I've read, I don't think I'll like it as much as my Momentum, but where's the fun in ignoring it? 

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #1,714 of 3,594
frix, you might like the HP100 sound signature better than the Momentum because it it's more similar to the HD800 but that doesn't mean that the Soundmagic is actually more transparent than the Momentum.

What do you mean by transparency?

When I talk about transparency, I talk about the ability of portraing sound clearly without headphone related artifacts (echos, ressonances, weird FR, distortion, etc...).
This is not a purelly subjective thing it's something that can be, to a certain extent, interpreted through measurements.
Note that you can have a colored, non neutral headphone that still sounds reasonably transparent.
In this sense Transparency has nothing to do with sound signature.
But you can improve the accomplishment and effectiveness of a certain sound signature if transparency is improved.

Regarding transparency, by the above definition, the Momentum is without any doubt way beyond the HP100.
Technically the Momentum is much more impressive than the HP100.
The Momentum is actually much closer to the sound quality and transparency (a subset of sound quality IMO) of the HD600 than it is to the HP100.
It also has a rather reminescent sound siganture of the HD600, IMO.

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #1,715 of 3,594
Transparency by headfi definition means fidelity. Or the more transparent the headphone, the greater the signal purity (the signal is unchanged with the highest level of resolution). 
So there is nothing subjective about transparency. 

By that definition, the Momentum should be the more transparent of the two... at least on paper (or LCD screens). 

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #1,716 of 3,594
Quote:
Transparency by headfi definition means fidelity. Or the more transparent the headphone, the greater the signal purity (the signal is unchanged with the highest level of resolution). 
So there is nothing subjective about transparency. 

By that definition, the Momentum should be the more transparent of the two... at least on paper (or LCD screens). 

Indeed, there's nothing subjective about transparency.
I agree in part with this definition.
By that definition, yes, the Momentum is clearly superior to the HP100 to my ears and I'm pretty sure it would show on paper if both were to be measure against each other because I heard some oddities in the Soundmagic.

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #1,717 of 3,594
I agree witk kkl10, Momentum's sound signature is very similar to HD600. I think they're the best portable headphones on the market, better than Beyer DT 1350 and other rivals. I enjoy listening to music with them so much, it's hard to stop even when there are other things I must do. After all, this is what makes great headphones, isn't it?

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #1,719 of 3,594
Shure 840 sound is very different from momentum. Much more treble oriented, while momentums have deeper bass extension.

I think actually that it will be a question of taste.

I ordered SoundMagic HP100 from Amazon, but will also try Momentum.
I've tried K550 but it was missing bass, I liked SRH940/840 sound but they were very heavy for me and thus uncomfortable. Sony MDR-1R were very very comfortable but too bass heavy. For me the choice was between K550 and HP100. I hope I will like both HP100 and Momentums and will keep them.

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #1,720 of 3,594
Quote:
But when its not noisy you don't have to crank up the volume. So people still can't hear you (i keep a finger on the amp volume control always for sudden changes in noise level) if you monitor your volume level you can get around the leakage issues pretty easily.

If you're using a Grado (or any other open design) in a quiet public place then yes, they can hear you. Closed cans are closed for a reason.

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #1,721 of 3,594
Quote:
I think they're the best portable headphones on the market, better than Beyer DT 1350 and other rivals.

Don't think so... I've found the DT1350 to be a much more refined headphone than the Momentum with better resolution, less upper bass and more sparkle. They might sound better when your ears fit within the cups, but the overall signature is too far from my ideal: small changes to the better would not suffice...

I don't consider the Momentum to be a bad sounding headphone, but much too warm for my taste.

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #1,722 of 3,594
Quote:

Don't think so... I've found the DT1350 to be a much more refined headphone than the Momentum with better resolution, less upper bass and more sparkle. They might sound better when your ears fit within the cups, but the overall signature is too far from my ideal: small changes to the better would not suffice...

I don't consider the Momentum to be a bad sounding headphone, but much too warm for my taste.

Many people associate "neutral" and "detailed" with bright, "refined" with edgy etc. The Momentum is actually very true to life. Warm, smooth and natural yet airy and detailed. Slightly gravitated towards the lower end of the spectrum and forgiving up top but that's just perfect for portable use in my opinion. 

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #1,723 of 3,594
Quote:

"Taste" is the operative word here. The perception of sound is such a subjective thing that there is no perfect headphone that fits everyone's taste. Glaring design choices/flaws aside, which headphone any particular person connects with sonically and emotionally is purely personal opinion.

Apr 6, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #1,724 of 3,594
Quote:
Many people associate "neutral" and "detailed" with bright, "refined" with edgy etc. The Momentum is actually very true to life. Warm, smooth and natural yet airy and detailed. Slightly gravitated towards the lower end of the spectrum and forgiving up top but that's just perfect for portable use in my opinion. 

I've been enjoying the MOMENTUM with a treble boost recently. I find it livens up the MOMENTUM up nicely. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #1,725 of 3,594
Well...just got back from Disney World with the family and I had the Momentums as my only headphone for the past week and I gotta say, as portable on-the-go headphones go, these are the best ones I've had. Comfort, portability, sound leakage, noise isolation and of course sound quality. Simply outstanding headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back