Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Mar 19, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #1,621 of 3,594
Quote:

I hear what you're saying. It's all subjective. Different ears, different... strokes?

So right you are 
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #1,622 of 3,594
Hi, need some advice, I just received Momentum, purchased from Razordog.com
great service and deal (Brian) at Razordog.com is terrific. 
The question is should I burn in the Momentums? any benefit resulting from burn in? I remember reading a post on the Momentums where it was reported that it was not necessary to burn in.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #1,623 of 3,594
Quote:
The question is should I burn in the Momentums? any benefit resulting from burn in? I remember reading a post on the Momentums where it was reported that it was not necessary to burn in.

Not really necessary...just play'em on your head and enjoy.

Picked up a pair and really loving them! Since I'm no longer traveling much for work, I no longer need noise cancelling headphones, so I've listed my brilliant UE9000s. Too many headphones and only one head. 
size]

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #1,624 of 3,594
First full day witht he black version and i love it.The comfort is amazing, literally had these on my head from 10AM to 8PM at night nonstop listening..(i did have a 3 hour break listen) but my small ears fit perfectly...I had mine connected to iBasso D-Zero via lod cable. i tried also without the DAC and it felt more upfront to my ears..
btw i dont like the red cable reminds me of the beats by dre cable hah, so if anyone wants to trade cable PM me

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #1,625 of 3,594
Quote:

Just listen, enjoy and repeat! All the burn in needed :)

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #1,626 of 3,594
I had a pair from another retailer and returned it, then received new ones from razordog today.. canada post is lazy so I couldn't do a direct comparison.. I swear the sound is a little different! maybe i'm just crazy though.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #1,627 of 3,594
Quote:
Red cable (a reminiscence from Beats on a Sennheiser headphone...) You might as well endorse them by some hip hop artist.

Please. It fits quite well with the accents on the headphones IMO. I've owned both black and brown and while I like the "retro" aspect of the latter, the black version appeals to me more. There's no right wrong answer here, just personal taste. I'll point out however that the black Momentum looks and feels absolutely *nothing* like cheap plastic Beats.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #1,630 of 3,594
so those are my new head phones
i like parts of it
dislike parts of it

its weird for me to try to understand their sound and how they are suppose to sound good

the problem is, i think, is that for the price i inevitably compare them to open back headphone..

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #1,631 of 3,594
I don't see any correlation between price and open/closed...

What bothers you most with their sound signature? If you prefer the sound of open headphones (and your environment allows their use) the Momentum might not be your optimal choice. If you're looking for a better soundstage in a closed headphone maybe the K550 would fit your bill.

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #1,632 of 3,594
Quote:
so those are my new head phones
i like parts of it
dislike parts of it

its weird for me to try to understand their sound and how they are suppose to sound good

the problem is, i think, is that for the price i inevitably compare them to open back headphone..

Quote:
I don't see any correlation between price and open/closed...

What bothers you most with their sound signature? If you prefer the sound of open headphones (and your environment allows their use) the Momentum might not be your optimal choice. If you're looking for a better soundstage in a closed headphone maybe the K550 would fit your bill.

I have the impression the Momentum was one of the least 'closed' sounding closed-back headphones. 
While it still does have a 'closed' sound, I thought it was the most relaxed 'airy' closed sound I've heard from a closed back.

What I mean by 'closed' sound is that almost all the cheaper closed-backs I've heard have had quite a high pressure or 'slam' in the sound which doesn't sound natural and allows you to feel the enclosure around your ears, and sometimes even hear the small 'room' or space the headphone makes around your ear in the sound reflections.
I felt the Momentums gave the least impression of a closed space, and a natural airy 'slam' similar to open-backs. Not perfect like an open-back, but that's my impression. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #1,633 of 3,594
ysony mdr1 sounded more open to me
almost bought them, i liked the openness and the comfort

i was interested in buying the momentum but my first reaction to their sound in the shop made me loose interest
still,, two weeks later i bought them, i could not try them with my own source in the store and also thought that i might eventually get into its sound signature after a while
but its being a week testing them and im thinking about returning them
i could say that there is too much bass but i bought them to replace my iem shure se215 which do have plenty of bass
so it aint really about the quantity which i feel is drowning the mids, or more precisely the vocals. its about the quality (or might be), 
i was listening to roxanne by the police and sting plays a old 50s fender precision, i play bass and almost bought a similar bass, i love the sound
but on the momentum i feel like every bass sound similar, there is that aura or halo around the sound that seems to blur the detail or texture or precision, 
i think thats what people might mean when they talk about a slow bass ?
it sounds lazy, which might be a desirable trait for so called laid back headphones idk
there is also this annoying pop in the low mids, like when you speak too close to a mic you get a pop, hence the use of pop filter, 
i feel like the momentum would benefit from a pop filter before speaking in my ears
there is some luxurious spaciousness that i do enjoy with those, the highs arent harsh, but they do bring some instrument or detail upfront that imo should stay in the background, again being more upclose than the vocals
i was watching some product review on youtube and there often is this annoying repetitive music in the background which the momentum seems to focus on, so i switch to my shure se215 making the presenter voice upfront and leaving the background music in the background

i really love the look, material, ergonomics, simple design, solid construction, light, that soft leather against your ear is a pleasure (more than expected), easy to drive, no tangling cable...
i can keep them on for hours, easy to adjust, small connector, ends in 1/8 jack
ive being listening to a lot of old samba lately which sadly have harsh highs and a lack of bass so the momentum are great for that
bossa nova aint bad either, instrumental music obviously doesnt suffer from vocal drowning in the mix
some of my music sound good on them but too often i just skip songs or get annoyed with something 
im trying to keep them but for the price i guess i should reinvest elsewhere
i could get the shure srh940 for 160$ atm, never heard them tho but for that price i dont worry too much
i play music and use to have studio monitors as my main setup leading to believe that flat and neutral might be more my style
tho my favorite headphones are grado which people call coloured but they also say that those are really good at sounding natural with realistic decay and timbre
there is also the focal spirit one that i should try
im not interested in the akg 550 (maybe i should) i use to have akg k271 the headset version with a mic, which was great for its intented purpose of recording and playing instruments, great for movies too but very bah for music and absolutely not for portable use, specially with the xlr cable dangling out 
the v-moda m-100 seems very well build but dont seem comfortable, i dont like the looks which reminds me of alienware pc, maybe if i was still in highschool ; )
they also have the v freq response (is that what the v in v-moda stands for ?)
sony z1000 or 7520 : i love the construction (magnesium), but the lack of bass seems to be a issue specially for a close set of headphone, i like open air a lot more but sometimes miss the quantity of bass that closed can can offer, so im ok with a lack of bass in a grado but not in a closed set, but i would still love to try them
sennheiser amperior : i love the name, i love product with a actual name instead of number, seem to be the signature im looking for, or maybe the hd-25, dont like the plastic or the looks but seems reliable 

anyway :) ill see in a couple days where this ends up
im also in the process of buying open headphones, im interested in the shure 1840 but probably gonna upgrade my grado, because i love them and they are perfect as portable (for me)

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #1,634 of 3,594
Quote:
 that soft leather against your ear is a pleasure (more than expected

That's probably why you find the bass lacking in definition. You're wearing them ON your ears as supra-aural rather than circumaural - the seal I get when worn circumaural makes a BIG difference to the sound and the bass quality. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #1,635 of 3,594
my ear kinda slide inside the cup
ive tried many ways to put the headphone on and i know how much of a difference it can make, almost like the equivalent of speaker placement in a room
i love how adjusting headphones is like adjusting the eq
what i meant is when you put the headphone on and off the leather brush agaisnt your skin and it feels nice 

and ive being putting them on and off a lot since im doing comparison and i love the feeling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back