Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Mar 7, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #1,501 of 3,594
Quote:
I am thinking about pulling the trigger on these. They would be for school for me.

Could anyone tell me how well the case would fit in a backpack? Would it at all? Are there any pictures comparing its size?

Thanks.

Don't yell at me for throwing out another pair of headphones out in the Sennheiser thread, but if you are looking for small cases, damnn the V-Moda M100 folds up into a super TINNYYY case! hard to tell in most pictures, but look at this pic (that is it legit next to an iPhone!!). http://cdn.head-fi.org/d/d8/d86c1542_d0c5c116_M100Shell.jpeg

I have never seen sucha small case lol.

Only mention b/c they are considered to be a competitor to the Momentums since both are portable closed headphones in the $300ish price range. However, they sound very different. M100 is v-shaped with bass-emphasis.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #1,502 of 3,594
I got the black one today, it finally arrived.

First impression:

This is gonna be my go to bed can. So smooth and relaxing. Just wow.

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #1,503 of 3,594
ANy diff between the black and brown.
Yes, there is. The black Momentums have an anomaly in the 4.5 kHz range that will cause certain vocals and instruments to not be heard. Besides that, it is exceptional. The brown Momentums do not have this issue.

(I already posted this several hours ago but for some reason it's not listed anymore in this thread. Weird).

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #1,504 of 3,594
Quote:
Yes, there is. The black Momentums have an anomaly in the 4.5 kHz range that will cause certain vocals and instruments to not be heard. Besides that, it is exceptional. The brown Momentums do not have this issue.

(I already posted this several hours ago but for some reason it's not listed anymore in this thread. Weird).

Really? Damn.. Should have bought the Brown version.

Tyll @innerfidelity also found the anomaly on the frequency response, but he had the brown version?!?

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #1,505 of 3,594
I remember people saying that it was just in the black version. If I remember correctly, Innerfidelity had a graph that showed both the brown and black responses to frequencies, and the brown didn't have nearly that much of a dip.

Edit: I guess it wasn't innerfidelity I was looking at

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #1,506 of 3,594

ohh I might have to get the brown one then.. Are the ear cups still the same size?

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #1,507 of 3,594
i'm gonna pitch in and say that they are NOT proprietary connectors! i have a cable from shure srh-480 and after some whittling of the rubber, it fits right in. unfortunately, i cut right rough the S connector.. a little bit of aluminum foil patched it up.

any 3.5mm to 2.5mm that is small enough will work just fine.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #1,508 of 3,594
Quote:
I remember people saying that it was just in the black version. If I remember correctly, Innerfidelity had a graph that showed both the brown and black responses to frequencies, and the brown didn't have nearly that much of a dip.

Edit: I guess it wasn't innerfidelity I was looking at

They're the same drivers. The only difference between the black and brown versions of the Momentum is the color of the outer materials. How an there be any sonic disparity? Gotta love Head-Fi...

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #1,509 of 3,594
Difference between Black momentums and Brown momentums.
Kinda like the same between as the difference between blue studios and red studios?
evil_smiley.gif
ph34r.gif

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #1,510 of 3,594
Could it possibly be a difference in material over the drivers (the red material could be thicker than the one in the brown Momentums)? But I don't think Sennheiser would look past something so obvious.

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #1,511 of 3,594
Quote:
Could it possibly be a difference in material over the drivers (the red material could be thicker than the one in the brown Momentums)? But I don't think Sennheiser would look past something so obvious.

I don't think changing the colour of the foam would change the properties of the sound passing through it.

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #1,512 of 3,594

Quote:
ohh I might have to get the brown one then.. Are the ear cups still the same size?

I also highly doubt that there is a variation in sound between the brown & black version. They are the exact same headphones except for the color. Remember your high school statistics... you cannot draw any meaningful conclusions from a study is done using such a tiny sample size!!

Get the color you like man & don't believe everything you read on the internet lol.

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #1,513 of 3,594
Also side note i actually preferred the Momentum over the T50p.
Friend however stated otherwise.
(and the same went for the HD650 vs the T70.)

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #1,514 of 3,594
Just to chip in: it was stated that one single black model measured 'worse' than one single brown model. 
Firstly, those measurements have now disappeared.
And secondly, even in Sennheisers flagship HD800, almost all the frequency response graphs they send with each model are slightly different.

It's clear to me that despite higher standards and technologies in manufacturing processes today, it's still very difficult for companies to make exact clones. 
The same slight variations are found in all niche high end products that are dealing with mechanical variables and tuning from SLR cameras and lenses to cars, etc etc.

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #1,515 of 3,594
Quote:
I don't think changing the colour of the foam would change the properties of the sound passing through it.

I didn't mean the color, but the material the red fabric is made of, but if the measurements were removed, then it's an anomaly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back