Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Feb 26, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #1,471 of 3,594
Quote:
Thank you Don...for helping out with your measurements.  What is striking is the difference between the HD598 and Momentum in terms of ear hole size.
Momentum's clearly are not a good choice for those with larger ears based on the fairly considerable size difference.

Can HD600 or HD650 owners kindly measure their ear hole size vertically and horizontally to compare with HD598 and Momentum?

Thanks again Don and welcome fo the forum!
PS: do you notice much size difference between Momentum and HD598?...do you have big or more average sized ears? 

i would say i have average sized ears that lie fairly flat against my head.....

that is probably the first time i have had to describe my ear size!

the momentums fit perfectly for me, very comfortable and sound pretty excellent with the Studio-V 3rd anniversary edition.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #1,472 of 3,594
I wore my Momentums for 2 hours straight last night and maybe it's just me but after about an hour in I get pain and discomfort behind my ears.I feel like the cups are applying to much pressure to the bone behind my ear. I put on a hat between my head and headphone headband to relieve some of the pressure and it helped. Also my ears were sweating up a storm but I'm used to that with closed cans. 

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #1,473 of 3,594
I wore my Momentums for 2 hours straight last night and maybe it's just me but after about an hour in I get pain and discomfort behind my ears.I feel like the cups are applying to much pressure to the bone behind my ear. I put on a hat between my head and headphone headband to relieve some of the pressure and it helped. Also my ears were sweating up a storm but I'm used to that with closed cans. 
I've noticed that the Momentums are more complicated to adjust than some other headphones. Because of the small openings, I push each headphone slightly back so it doesn't touch the back of my ear as much. Also I rotate them an swivel them until I find the perfect fit. If I do this correctly I can keep them on for 6+ hours. If I don't do this, it's more like 2 hours. Hopefully it's the same for you.

Feb 27, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #1,474 of 3,594
After visiting the shop today i have determined that the HD558 and HD650 earpad openings are almost identical in size. The shape of the earpads are slightly different though, the HD650 is a bit narrower near the base of the earpad, while the HD558 one did. Overall it is safe to say that they are both very large. not sure about the HD600 though. 
the momentum earpads however were very small in size compared to these 2.

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #1,475 of 3,594
Quote:
After visiting the shop today i have determined that the HD558 and HD650 earpad openings are almost identical in size. The shape of the earpads are slightly different though, the HD650 is a bit narrower near the base of the earpad, while the HD558 one did. Overall it is safe to say that they are both very large. not sure about the HD600 though. 
the momentum earpads however were very small in size compared to these 2.

Thanks streetdragon.  I linked a review that stated it was the other way around...the HD 600/650 had more room in the ear pad cups than the HD 598/558.  Perhaps its too close to call...since interpretation is different between the reviewer and yourself.  I know the HD558/598 do NOT share the same ear pad P/N's as the HD 600/650.  Btw the HD 600 and HD/650 fit identically and share the same ear pad P/N and ear cup housings are the same size.

Thanks fo ryour review.  Here is the review:
[size=medium]http://www.headfonia.com/hd600-and-hd598-comparison/[/size]

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #1,476 of 3,594
Quote:
Thanks streetdragon.  I linked a review that stated it was the other way around...the HD 600/650 had more room in the ear pad cups than the HD 598/558.  Perhaps its too close to call...since interpretation is different between the reviewer and yourself.  I know the HD558/598 do NOT share the same ear pad P/N's as the HD 600/650.  Btw the HD 600 and HD/650 fit identically and share the same ear pad P/N and ear cup housings are the same size.

Thanks fo ryour review.  Here is the review:
[size=medium]http://www.headfonia.com/hd600-and-hd598-comparison/[/size]

well personally i take headfonia with a grain of salt. my eyes/camera shall reveal the proof that they are in fact identical in practical size. in fact the HD558 earcups are much deeper. (my ears press against the foam in the HD650 while my ears don't touch anything in the HD558)

there you go, HD558 on the left and HD650 on the right.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #1,477 of 3,594
Quote:

well personally i take headfonia with a grain of salt. my eyes/camera shall reveal the proof that they are in fact identical in practical size. in fact the HD558 earcups are much deeper. (my ears press against the foam in the HD650 while my ears don't touch anything in the HD558)

there you go, HD558 on the left and HD650 on the right.

Thanks so much Streetdragon!
One last favor please.  Could you measure the ear pad hole size across and up & down for each headphone...a total of 4 dimensions?
I will then add your pictures and measurements to the current 'Size Matters' thread.
I am grateful for your help.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #1,478 of 3,594
Quote:
Thanks so much Streetdragon!
One last favor please.  Could you measure the ear pad hole size across and up & down for each headphone...a total of 4 dimensions?
I will then add your pictures and measurements to the current 'Size Matters' thread.
I am grateful for your help.

glad i could help
biggrin.gif

HD558 earpads size: 2.6 inches top to bottom, 1.55 inches back to forwards, 1.1 inches deep at the back and 0.8 inches deep in the front.
HD650 (i'm not at the shop anymore, but from my observations i shall make accurate estimations) 2.5 inches top to bottom and 1.5 inches back to forwards and i guess 0.7 inches deep.
i gotta confirm this again this friday, but for now i beleive the HD650 dimentions are pretty accurate
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #1,479 of 3,594
Quote:
glad i could help
biggrin.gif

HD558 earpads size: 2.6 inches top to bottom, 1.55 inches back to forwards, 1.1 inches deep at the back and 0.8 inches deep in the front.
HD650 (i'm not at the shop anymore, but from my observations i shall make accurate estimations) 2.5 inches top to bottom and 1.5 inches back to forwards and i guess 0.7 inches deep.
i gotta confirm this again this friday, but for now i beleive the HD650 dimentions are pretty accurate
wink.gif

You rock streetdragon.  I updated the Size Matters thread by superimposing your dimensions in mm's on the picture you provided.
Thanks again for setting the record straight on comparing ear pad hole size between 5 & 6 series senn's.
Best Regards.
PS: it was unexpected the ear cups are actually deeper in the HD558...the opposite of what the reviewer stated but your picture tells the truth.

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #1,480 of 3,594
Quote:
You rock streetdragon.  I updated the Size Matters thread by superimposing your dimensions in mm's on the picture you provided.
Thanks again for setting the record straight on comparing ear pad hole size between 5 & 6 series senn's.
Best Regards.
PS: it was unexpected the ear cups are actually deeper in the HD558...the opposite of what the reviewer stated but your picture tells the truth.

thanks and welcome
tongue.gif

And yeah that's why i'd take anything from headfonia with a grain of salt.
rolleyes.gif

examples of possibly wrong info:
HD700 is smooth and perfectly priced and would be a great sucess
K1000 has poor layering though has wide soundsatge, beaten in seperation by something like a HD25-II
HD600 earcup is more spacious than HD598 earcup (proven wrong in this very thread)

not sure what else, i don't go there very often

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #1,484 of 3,594
Quote:
just ordered these as well, I'm really hoping i made the right decision over the M-100s

I ordered both and sent the M-100s back. I think everything about the momentums is better...details, bass, soundstage, comfort, and even looks. It was a closer match then I make it sound, I still may pick up the m-100 again. But yah, I think you made the right decision. 

Mar 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #1,485 of 3,594
Quote:
I ordered both and sent the M-100s back. I think everything about the momentums is better...details, bass, soundstage, comfort, and even looks. It was a closer match then I make it sound, I still may pick up the m-100 again. But yah, I think you made the right decision. 

Could I ask what music you listened to to come to that conclusion? would be very helpful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back