Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Feb 25, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #1,456 of 3,594
Quote:

i have used both the HD650 and the HD558 (different model but same dimentions) and both the earcups are very big. the Momentum has much smaller earcups like the HD202.
i would get back to you when i get the chance to head over to the audio shop this friday.

I concede your point about the Momentum being smaller...however I have tested both the HD598 and HD600/650.  To me, I believe the reviewer is correct.  The ear pad hole feels larger on the HD600/650.

If you have access to HD558/598 and HD600/650...a dimensional comparison would be greatly appreciated.  Since the ear pad holes are asymmetric for all models, two dimensions for each would
be preferred.  I actually am interested in the HD598 in fact for its fun sound signature.  But because of my big ears, I am more inclined to go with the HD600/650 because again my perception agrees with the link I provided.

So, if you could perform this dimensional comparison, it would be most helpful to those of us with bigger ears seeking a comfortable fit.

Many thanks.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #1,457 of 3,594
Hey all, sorry if this questions already been asked, but how do these perform with metal? 

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #1,458 of 3,594
Quote:
Hey all, sorry if this questions already been asked, but how do these perform with metal? 

Metal sounds good on these, but there are moments where I would prefer a little more 'attack' or 'crunch' in the guitar treble. (The treble is slightly veiled; in volume, not detail).
But for complex multi-layered symphonic metal, ALL the details and instruments are present and separated perfectly - I'm thinking Serj Tankien here.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #1,459 of 3,594
Quote:

I'm not really a metal-head, I just listen to a couple of thrash bands because cousin influence (he used to lead a thrash band), but in his opinion my Momentum suits very well to trash or metal in general, because they feel fast, and fine distortions of the guitars are really well rendered.

I guess we'll have to wait for more experienced opinions.

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #1,460 of 3,594
IMO, one of the flaw design in earcup for MOMENTUM is as show in the pic below:

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/5197/900x900pxllee9d563bdsc0.jpg

The line between the Cloth and Deer-Skin(IIRC) is staying way too outside and that line end up touching your ears. The worse part is, that line is not soft and it is rather hard and it will hurt your ears after wearing it for a long period of time.

+1
The leather earpads feel very nice on the skin. I don't understand why the earpads are composed of two different matrials stiched together
instead of just leather. The stichting is kind of stiff and not soft at all and uncomfortable in the end for me.

As already mentioned I also think the bass is too loose and the sound signature overall too warm.
Besides the momentum I currently own the UE 6000. The sound signature is similar, though I think the UE 6000 is a bit better.
Bass is tigther and voices a littler more forward. I also think the UE 6000 is more comfortable though heavier.

Just in terms of pure SQ they are not worth 300$+ imho.

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #1,461 of 3,594
Sennheiser already has sound down, but i would rather them try to be a bit more portable with their cans. Or something new, that can be more portable. I'd be all over foldable momentum's

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #1,462 of 3,594
There are already too many portable folding cans available. Sennheiser needs to regroup and make a great sounding headphone. They lost the plot after the HD600. They had the perfect pads and housing to compliment their drivers. Add on an after-marker cable and many found sonic and musical nirvana. If they could come up with a smaller version of a similar design...

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #1,465 of 3,594
first post on this here forum, thought i would help everybody out with the dimensions of the cups.

i have the 598s and the momentums.

598s - height 70mm width 40mm
momentum - height 52mm width 34mm

and for any americans out there

598s - height 2.75in width 1.57in
momentum - height 2in width 1.33in

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #1,466 of 3,594
Quote:
+1
The leather earpads feel very nice on the skin. I don't understand why the earpads are composed of two different matrials stiched together
instead of just leather. The stichting is kind of stiff and not soft at all and uncomfortable in the end for me.

If the earpads were totally leather the sound would be completely different. Leather doesn't really let air or sound through (much), but opening up the earpads with fabric allows for a bigger soundstage, and more air.
I can only assume (from my past experiments and DIY projects) that a fully leather earpad would make the bass bloated and take away the 'air' to the sound.

Bose use a similar technique on their triport headphones - it's a small enclosure, but with quite deep earpads made of thick foam surrounded with fabric.
Take away the foam and the deep bass disappears. I even put the foam into other headphones/earpads and could hear the bass suddenly extend and increase in volume. 

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #1,467 of 3,594
Very nice review and look very awesome. It is funny, but the ear cups look just like the Nuforce HP-800's I just purchased! If they are even close, the cover surrounding the foam/etc underneath feel very eerily like REAL skin. Uncanny! But, they really feel too comfy, considering Nuforce uses comfort foam underneath them. Just an observation!
I have owned many Sennheiser products in my years and these look to be high quality, including the nice case they come with.

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #1,469 of 3,594
So your saying the sound of the Momentum is boxy? All I meant by airy is that that sound stage is spread out, so you can feel the realism of where the instruments are coming from.
This is usually a rare accomplishment from a pair of "closed" OTE Cans. Maybe I should have used the term ethereally uniform or open sound stage.
Was not trying to make it sound as though they had a , marshmallow audio quality! Sorry for the faux pax! Just sleepy, so maybe it's me that's "airy"! LOL! No troubles!

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #1,470 of 3,594
Quote:
first post on this here forum, thought i would help everybody out with the dimensions of the cups.

i have the 598s and the momentums.

598s - height 70mm width 40mm
momentum - height 52mm width 34mm

and for any americans out there

598s - height 2.75in width 1.57in
momentum - height 2in width 1.33in

Thank you Don...for helping out with your measurements.  What is striking is the difference between the HD598 and Momentum in terms of ear hole size.
Momentum's clearly are not a good choice for those with larger ears based on the fairly considerable size difference.

Can HD600 or HD650 owners kindly measure their ear hole size vertically and horizontally to compare with HD598 and Momentum?

Thanks again Don and welcome fo the forum!
PS: do you notice much size difference between Momentum and HD598?...do you have big or more average sized ears? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back