Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Jan 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #1,203 of 3,594
Quote:
I just tried Momentum at an audio shop. I can only get full sound with my hands pressing the ear cups  against my ears. Once I get a full sound, it sounds fantastic with the balance I like a lot. What a pity. I just can't get full sound without my hands on the ear cups. Make sure you try them before purchasing if you have a big head like I do. Why Sennheiser made the headphones so small anyway~

Where were you not getting a good seal?  Top, bottom, etc?  I ask because if it is the bottom, you just need to slide the cups further down on the headband.  It seems somewhat unnatural, but it works.  

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #1,204 of 3,594
I just picked these up. Absolutely fantastic headphone. My only complaint is that the cable is a proprietary lock, so, not much chance of upgrading the cables if you wanted to. I've been listening to Amber Rubarth's binaural all evening and it sounds like i am center stage. I was expecting a much more closed soundstage, but I dare say that these give me the same soundstage impressions as my Grado 325's, without the 'harsh' treble that Grado is known for (and is actually too much for me). The base is solid, present, but not overbearing. It doesn't muddy it at all. I couldnt be happier!

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #1,205 of 3,594
A couple of points of clarification. I think these should be called semi-over-ear, you would have to have very, very small ears for these to fit full over your ears. But don't let that scare you, they are perfectly comfortable and sound fine sitting partially on your ears. The clamp quite tight but you want that so they seal nicely.

Secondly, I am someone that doesn't like overly bassy gear, I am a ER-4S/SA5000 guy for those that remember those and I don't think these are as dark sounding as what most seem to be saying. They are warm and have quite good base detail but they also have great mid range and treble detail. I also think that for a closed portable they have impressive separation, which means the top end is not swamped by the bottom as it is in headphones I would call dark.

What does "proprietary lock" mean in relation to the cable? I would have thought the format would make it very easy to make upgrades. Has anyone heard of any for these yet?

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #1,206 of 3,594
Quote:
A couple of points of clarification. I think these should be called semi-over-ear, you would have to have very, very small ears for these to fit full over your ears. But don't let that scare you, they are perfectly comfortable and sound fine sitting partially on your ears. The clamp quite tight but you want that so they seal nicely.

Secondly, I am someone that doesn't like overly bassy gear, I am a ER-4S/SA5000 guy for those that remember those and I don't think these are as dark sounding as what most seem to be saying. They are warm and have quite good base detail but they also have great mid range and treble detail. I also think that for a closed portable they have impressive separation, which means the top end is not swamped by the bottom as it is in headphones I would call dark.

What does "proprietary lock" mean in relation to the cable? I would have thought the format would make it very easy to make upgrades. Has anyone heard of any for these yet?

They are slightly smaller than the average ear.  Tyll called out the average size ear and the dimensions in his review.  

I think he just meant that it has a proprietary connector on the end.  This irritates me a little bit too.  I don't understand how this benefits Sennheiser.  I would understand if they wanted to sell upgraded cables, but they have never even tried that.  It only serves to irritate customers that wish to upgrade it.  

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #1,207 of 3,594
Can someone accurately say where the Momentums place the listener in terms of soundstage? When I first listened to these for the first couple of hours I was expecting it to sound like I was in a single-person audience looking at the band/orchestra on stage. But the more I listen the more it sounds as if I'm on stage with them, like I'm either the drummer, or some other musician on stage with the..... Lets just say I'm listening to a 4-person rock band. It sounds as if they are set up in a rhombus or "diamond", and I'm at the center of them, or in the back center of the band. Can someone confirm this? I like to know where the headphones are set so I can feel more immersion.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #1,208 of 3,594
Quote:
Can someone accurately say where the Momentums place the listener in terms of soundstage? When I first listened to these for the first couple of hours I was expecting it to sound like I was in a single-person audience looking at the band/orchestra on stage. But the more I listen the more it sounds as if I'm on stage with them, like I'm either the drummer, or some other musician on stage with the..... Lets just say I'm listening to a 4-person rock band. It sounds as if they are set up in a rhombus or "diamond", and I'm at the center of them, or in the back center of the band. Can someone confirm this? I like to know where the headphones are set so I can feel more immersion.

I'd say on stage. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #1,209 of 3,594
Check this out! http://labkable.com/products/Sennheiser-Momentum-7N-ROCC-Upgrade-Cable.html
Sennheiser Momentum Headphone Upgrade Cable

[size=medium]Spec[/size]
- Finest 7N ROCC conductor inside, provide balanced tone with focusing image and transparent sound;
- Weavetech Twisting Structure, with special Material X technology, minimize EMI interference, darker background and more detail sound as result;
- Germany Design Viablue Gold plated 3.5mm earphone plug and imported 2.6mm gold plated stereo plugs were selected;
- Imported Super nylon used to provide a soft, light weighted and extremely tough material which lower capacitance and stethoscope effect, resulting in enhancing the overall musicality.
MOMENTUMCABLE.jpg

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #1,210 of 3,594
Check this out! http://labkable.com/products/Sennheiser-Momentum-7N-ROCC-Upgrade-Cable.html
[COLOR=FF0000]Sennheiser Momentum Headphone Upgrade Cable[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]Spec[/COLOR]
- Finest 7N ROCC conductor inside, provide balanced tone with focusing image and transparent sound;
- Weavetech Twisting Structure, with special Material X technology, minimize EMI interference, darker background and more detail sound as result;
- Germany Design Viablue Gold plated
 3.5mm earphone plug and imported 2.6mm gold plated stereo plugs were selected;
- Imported Super nylon used to provide a soft, light weighted and extremely tough material which lower capacitance and stethoscope effect, resulting in enhancing the overall musicality.
MOMENTUMCABLE.jpg

Ok, I want. How much and how do I buy from US? I've never tried a cable upgrade before, but would like to see how much of a difference there is. Great find!

:)

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #1,211 of 3,594
Jan 7, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #1,213 of 3,594
Come on, that cable ad is BS - seriously who needs the last 0.000001% that cables may or may not provide for portable listening out of an unamped device listening to lossy files?

And while we're on about BS - WTH is "super nylon"??

Oh wait, it's just nylon, but now with a 5000% upcharge.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #1,214 of 3,594
imported nylon - 'because it's much cheaper than domestic manufacturing!'

I agree with you on this, it's silly.

Quote:
Come on, that cable ad is BS - seriously who needs the last 0.000001% that cables may or may not provide for portable listening out of an unamped device listening to lossy files?

And while we're on about BS - WTH is "super nylon"??

Oh wait, it's just nylon, but now with a 5000% upcharge.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #1,215 of 3,594
Yes, we're launching the Sennheiser MOMENTUM black at CES 2013. Here's the press release:

Sennheiser launches sleek MOMENTUM Black headphones 

Las Vegas, 6 January 2012 – Sennheiser reimagines its acclaimed MOMENTUM headphones with the launch of the new MOMENTUM Black. Featuring a sleek look, MOMENTUM black combines pure design and uncompromising performance with the signature blacks of this season’s fashion collections. 

The MOMENTUM black is the beautiful new addition to Sennheiser’s Style Selection. Following close on the release of the successful MOMENTUM, MOMENTUM Black delivers a perfect fusion of style and substance; urban design that promises no compromise on sound. 

Minimal black designs are dominating the latest collections from the leading fashion houses. The look of right now is dark and sophisticated; with elegant silhouettes that emphasise purity and subtly accentuate textures and fine materials. This is the world of the MOMENTUM Black, which marries an elegant headband slider of premium stainless steel with earpads and a headband worked from soft and supple leather of the finest quality. A pure design, reimagined with black leather and coolly contrasting subtle red stitching that’s very much of the moment. Beneath its stylish exterior, the MOMENTUM Black headphones refuse to compromise on sound quality. Sennheiser has taken technologies from its high-end headphone range to ensure a clear sound with excellent detail.  

“Combining form and function is key to the allure of the MOMENTUM. It’s a formula that has proved successful with critics and discerning music lovers alike and its now coming in a black version, with a new look that takes the premium sound experience to the world of fashion”, said Maurice Quarré, Director Product Lifecycle Management at Sennheiser Consumer Electronics. 

People  love  them  for  how  they  look  and also for how they  feel: high-quality, predominantly natural materials; ensure these headphones offer the ultimate in comfort for hours of listening.  Other smart touches include the circumaural ear cups that insulate the listener from noisy urban environments, and an optional cable with a smart remote and microphone for taking and receiving calls and controlling the 
music on Apple devices. The MOMENTUM from Sennheiser is the perfect companion around town: Experience sound in style.  

The MOMENTUM Black can be seen first at CES. It will be available through selected Sennheiser sales partners from January. The MOMENTUM in brown is already available. 

Here's the link to our CES 2013 press portal

Quote:
I saw these are getting quite the buzz at CES. Is there a new version out? Or is it just Sennheiser launching a new color? Any other upgrades? 

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back