Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Dec 11, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #947 of 3,594
Ok newbie question here.  I have the momentums and I use them with my iPod classic and fiio e7.  I also use them with a dragonfly DAC when listening to music on my laptop and it sounds at least 10 times better with the dragonfly (vs the E7).  Is there a portable amp and or DAC that can match the quality of the dragonfly?  Thanks guys :)

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #948 of 3,594
Ok newbie question here.  I have the momentums and I use them with my iPod classic and fiio e7.  I also use them with a dragonfly DAC when listening to music on my laptop and it sounds at least 10 times better with the dragonfly (vs the E7).  Is there a portable amp and or DAC that can match the quality of the dragonfly?  Thanks guys :)

The portable dac worked with IPC would be very expensive, for example HP-P1...in terms of a portable amp, C421, pico slim, I heard these amps are significantly better than those Fiios out there.
But without a dac, no matter what amp you use, the general signature of IPC will remain the same. So what I want to say is that if u like the sound of dragonfly DAC that much. It would be extremly hard to find a amp with IPC that could produce the sound matching your expectation.

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #949 of 3,594
Quote:
The portable dac worked with IPC would be very expensive, for example HP-P1...in terms of a portable amp, C421, pico slim, I heard these amps are significantly better than those Fiios out there.
But without a dac, no matter what amp you use, the general signature of IPC will remain the same. So what I want to say is that if u like the sound of dragonfly DAC that much. It would be extremly hard to find a amp with IPC that could produce the sound matching your expectation.

Thanks for the info (wow! HP-P1 is expensive!)  So with a headphone that is as easy to drive as the Momentum, it is better to have an amp/dac combo instead of just a stand alone amp?

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #950 of 3,594
Quote:
@adhoc
What u saying is exactly the same with my jaben friend. The sound of this is like small hd650 with excellent bass.I wonder how is the sound compared to amperior. I am planing to get one either this or amperior. To me amperior is more appealing in design wise especially in blue colour. If sound different not much..i might get the amperior
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi, sorry if I'm mistaken, but are you Mr. Yono?

Just like others wrote, basically Momentum and Amperior are different. For me, to describe Amperior is just imagine HD25-II with smoother treble, while Momentum is like a clean HD650 but with smaller soundstage. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #953 of 3,594
Quote:
if anyone has both the hd598 and the momentum, could u test if momentum's cable can be used for hd598, and vice versa?? thanks a lot..

No go.  The Momentum cable seems to fit in the HD598, but sound cuts in and out.  HD598 does not fit in Momentum, due to barrel being too large.  The actual plug appears to be the same size.  

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #955 of 3,594
Bought the Momentum today. 

I am impressed by the way it looks, feels and sounds. 

For me it seems that the "apple" audio cable sounds lower in volume and misses some detail in de mids compared to the "normal" cable. Lets burn these babies in!

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #956 of 3,594
I went and demoed them for a fourth time and gave up on them. Bass is still mucky but the main problem is the pads. Are they supraural or circumaural? Some peoples ears will fit inside, some will get part of the ear in and others will have to settle for the Momentum sitting on their ears. So that makes three different sound possibilities. Who needs it..

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #957 of 3,594
I got a Fiio E17 to pair with my momentums and maybe it's just my ears, but I'm not noticing a huge noticeable difference in sound quality. I'm thinking about returning the E17 or maybe just selling it here. Anyone else try the momentums with E17, or any other amp/DAC that they feel made a noticeable difference?

Thanks guys :)

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #958 of 3,594
I went and demoed them for a fourth time and gave up on them. Bass is still mucky but the main problem is the pads. Are they supraural or circumaural? Some peoples ears will fit inside, some will get part of the ear in and others will have to settle for the Momentum sitting on their ears. So that makes three different sound possibilities. Who needs it..

Do the pads fit you? Who cares about everyone else, your ears are presumably done growing...

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #959 of 3,594
Quote:

They are awesome if they fit around your ears comfortably.
If not, don't bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back