Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Nov 15, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #691 of 3,594
I got a chance to test out the Sennheiser Momentum for the first time today. It is a decent sounding semi portable headphone. The pads are fairly soft and feel nice. It sounded decent for the most part. Bass was a bit boomy and sound stage slightly congested. IMO this headphone is in the same class as the Audio Technica M50 and Shure 840. I'm located in Canada so the $400 price tag at Futureshop was enough to keep me away. I doubt there will be much demand for this headphone up here. At least not for $400.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #692 of 3,594
Yes. $400 is too much. But you could get it from Razordog. Even with ship cost and import fees, it would be much cheaper. ...However, return would be a big problem then...
The same thing happened for M-100...in U.S., it's ship free. You can just order one for $310+tax. But in Canada, you have to pay $310+$40(shipping)+$40(import fees)+tax.....It turned out to be another $400 headphone....Blue.... 

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #693 of 3,594
Yes. $400 is too much. But you could get it from Razordog. Even with ship cost and import fees, it would be much cheaper. ...However, return would be a big problem then...
The same thing happened for M-100...in U.S., it's ship free. You can just order one for $310+tax. But in Canada, you have to pay $310+$40(shipping)+$40(import fees)+tax.....It turned out to be another $400 headphone....Blue.... 

Good point. I may wait it out hoping they will eventually on sale. I did the same for the sennheiser 558 and ended getting a set for $120 from futureshop.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #694 of 3,594
Got them yesterday from Earphone-solutions. I come from AIAIAI TMA-1 and i have some WESTONE 4 IEMs.

My first impression is great. Compared ON THE SPOT with my TMA 1 they sound much more "open" and detailed, much bigger soundstage and air. Probably they are a tad bass heavy (just a little) and they don't have the detail and the treble of the WESTONE 4, but they sound incredibly good and "fun" to me. No caveats so far. Not to mention how comfortable and good looking they are...

They are pricey, but I think they are a very good choice and they sound very very good.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #695 of 3,594
Quote:
 Bass was a bit boomy and sound stage slightly congested. IMO this headphone is in the same class as the Audio Technica M50 and Shure 840. 

What music were you listening to? If it was busy heavy metal, I can begin to understand this statement. 
Also if you were using it in a quiet shop I can also slightly understand this.

But outdoors in a busy street or bus/train, the extra bass makes perfect sense... even for rock and metal, and the perception of sound changes greatly.  

Also I A-B tested (in quiet at home) my Momentum with my Grado RS2i (which is just about as fast as resolving as most headphones ever get) and the momentums didn't even get slightly congested in comparison (tested using Fisher stereo amp, and PA2V2). I simply can't believe these statements about congested sound and boomy bass. The bass sound quality to my ears is smooth and refined and fairly tight. 

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #696 of 3,594
I would place the momentum a few class above the audio technica m50 (this is coming from an audio technica fan).

The momentum goes for USD460 over here in Singapore. Speaking of being overpriced. Still, I will choose it over the hd598 anytime that's selling for USD330 here.

Nov 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #697 of 3,594
Hey i really like the look and the probable comfort of momentums and am deciding between these and m100s. I actually prefer the more mature and classy looks of the momentums to the modern affair of the m100s. I listen to mainly rnb, hip-hop, pop. slow rock n metal n some dubstep. I like good bass. Would the momentums work for me ? i also use the fiio e11 !!  Any advice ? 

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #698 of 3,594
Quote:
Hey i really like the look and the probable comfort of momentums and am deciding between these and m100s. I actually prefer the more mature and classy looks of the momentums to the modern affair of the m100s. I listen to mainly rnb, hip-hop, pop. slow rock n metal n some dubstep. I like good bass. Would the momentums work for me ? i also use the fiio e11 !!  Any advice ? 

The Momentum will produce almost all genres really well, but bassheads prefer the M100 as it is simply a much bassier headphone and would probably be better for dubstep etc.
Although I would assume that slow rock and metal wouldn't sound quite as good with so much bass.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #699 of 3,594
Well, nobody has to buy anything, for that matter..

This is true. I didn't mean to be facetious. I've noticed that Canadian prices on most electronics tend to be higher than they are here in the States. Could it have something to do with import fees, tariffs, taxes, etc.? Perhaps it costs Sennheiser more to sell the Momentum in CA than in the US, hence the $400 price tag up there.

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #700 of 3,594
Quote:
This is true. I didn't mean to be facetious. I've noticed that Canadian prices on most electronics tend to be higher than they are here in the States. Could it have something to do with import fees, tariffs, taxes, etc.? Perhaps it costs Sennheiser more to sell the Momentum in CA than in the US, hence the $400 price tag up there.

It's still only about 13 euros more than in Germany (299 euros at apple store). I think if you imported it, you'd pay more in tax.

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #701 of 3,594
Hey can someone tel me if there are plastics used in the momentums ? What are the back of the ear cups made of ? are they brushed aluminum like the amperiors or plastic ?

They're plastic.

I was wrong about this. I sent an email inquiry to Sennheiser customer service to find out for sure. The ear cups on the Momentum are indeed aluminum, NOT plastic:

Thank you for contacting Sennheiser. The ear cups of the MOMENTUM
headphones are made of aluminium.

Have a great day.

Lachlan Brennan
Sennheiser Technical Support Team

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #702 of 3,594
Quote:
I was wrong about this. I sent an email inquiry to Sennheiser customer service to find out for sure. The ear cups on the Momentum are indeed aluminum, NOT plastic:
Thank you for contacting Sennheiser. The ear cups of the MOMENTUM
headphones are made of aluminium.
Have a great day.
Lachlan Brennan
Sennheiser Technical Support Team

I find this extremely difficult to believe. The shape of the cups look injection moulded - the complexity and curves of the cable entry points would be very difficult to achieve with aluminium. Also and perhaps more importantly the cups are not cold to touch - (I know this sounds wrong, but I tested it with my lips as that's one of the most temperature sensitive parts of the body... plus well... headphones need love too) and my AKG K141 was MUCH colder. The Momentum was about room temperature. 

If the cups have some sort of a plastic coating they should still be fairly cold, but that's not the case.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #703 of 3,594
They felt cold to the touch to me, so far I thought they were aluminum. I don't own them and it's probably not a good idea for me (or anyone) to go around kissing demo models, although I'm pretty sure no one has ever been charged with public displays of affection with a pair of headphones in a store.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #704 of 3,594
I find this extremely difficult to believe. The shape of the cups look injection moulded - the complexity and curves of the cable entry points would be very difficult to achieve with aluminium. Also and perhaps more importantly the cups are not cold to touch - (I know this sounds wrong, but I tested it with my lips as that's one of the most temperature sensitive parts of the body... plus well... headphones need love too) and my AKG K141 was MUCH colder. The Momentum was about room temperature. 

If the cups have some sort of a plastic coating they should still be fairly cold, but that's not the case.

Then I urge you to contact Sennheiser and challenge their assertion. Amazon.com also lists the cups as being manufactured from aluminum. So, either they ARE (likely), there is incorrect information from both the manufacturer and a large online retailer (possible), or Sennheiser is lying (unlikely). I'm just passing along the information I received directly from the company.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #705 of 3,594
Quote:
Then I urge you to contact Sennheiser and challenge their assertion. Amazon.com also lists the cups as being manufactured from aluminum. So, either they ARE (likely), there is incorrect information from both the manufacturer and a large online retailer (possible), or Sennheiser is lying (unlikely). I'm just passing along the information I received directly from the company.

I hope they are made of aluminium - that would justify the price tag, especially considering the intricate design and the higher cost of fabrication.
I've already sent a message to Sennheiser UK (to check for consistency in responses, as the previous response was from the US).

If they are indeed aluminium, this could be a big game changer, as from what I've read in other 'Momentum' threads, it's widely believed these are plastic, which has caused some mild rage. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back