Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Nov 15, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #676 of 3,594
I don't understand why anyone thinks the Momentums are over-priced. 

From what I've heard (with my ears pressed against many headphones) it seems very difficult for most companies to produce really good sound from a closed headphone - but the Momentum pretty much nails it and then wraps it in premium materials. 
The market is obvious: an easy-listening sound for almost all genres, directly squarely at suits. Bankers can't be seen wearing beats pro, or fantastic plastic HD25-II or M50's. These are the competition for B+W, and in their market they blow all competition out of the water.

There aren't many companies using leather, and then leather of this quality. It's just luxurious, and luxury does cost. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #677 of 3,594
Quote:
I don't understand why anyone thinks the Momentums are over-priced. 

From what I've heard (with my ears pressed against many headphones) it seems very difficult for most companies to produce really good sound from a closed headphone - but the Momentum pretty much nails it and then wraps it in premium materials. 
The market is obvious: an easy-listening sound for almost all genres, directly squarely at suits. Bankers can't be seen wearing beats pro, or fantastic plastic HD25-II or M50's. These are the competition for B+W, and in their market they blow all competition out of the water.

There aren't many companies using leather, and then leather of this quality. It's just luxurious, and luxury does cost. 

agreed ^
though for audiophile listening at home, yes they are quite overpriced since in that catigory you have the HD598,HD600,SRH940,DT880 and others to compete against, but for the high class look for outdoor and nice sound they really are very good especially since they look good on jeans and possibly a suit. beats are too flashy and has a negative image in terms of classiness. HD25-II looks cheap and boring. the only other headphone that does this asthetic+performance+price well as far as i know is the Parrot Zik

though imo the momentum looks better on jeans and collared shirt while the parrot zik looks better on tux's and just better overall

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #678 of 3,594
Just received my UE6000 and listened for like 3 hours in active mod. compared to my old Momentum:
1, Comfort-wise, UE6K is a surprise in this aspect. It's hard to tell which one is more comfortable (I thought Momentum would be a clear winner here, but no...) UE6K is way more heavy than Momentum, but the era pad is significantly bigger and given more space for my ear. The leather pad in Momentum is still a killer, but due to the smaller pad, it would sometimes push my glasses and hurt a little bit. However, for a very long time wearing (2 hours+), I think Momentum would take advantage for its light weight...

2, Looks. Oh man, these two are both very sexy headphones. I like Momentum to go with my suit when I  get to work, I prefer UE6000 with my t-shirt when I fooling around with my friends. The point is, by far every body knew Momentum is a good-looking headphone, for me, UE6000 is also wonderfully checking all the boxes in this regard. 

3, Sound. well, first, UE6000 is not totally burned-in; second, I DO NOT use any amp. My purpose is to find a perfect on-the -go headphone for my unamped IPC. That means i have to put UE6K on active mode (otherwise it's just too flat and dark with a IPC)  So the comparison is may not fair for UE6000....Anyway,  by far, Momentum is the clear winner for my taste (Chinese folk an indie rock and jazz). Bass alone, UE6000 is more deep and punchy. That will actually help in some metal rack tracks (not a big fan), And the treble is also significantly emphasized on the active mode...that turned out to be a mess in some of my tracks I can not hear the vocal clearly...and the soundstage is kinda of compressed or at least blurred compared to Momentum. For Momentum, bass is much more controlled and less powerful. it's not that fun to hear in some tracks but it's more clear and would never push the mid-range. It's just right there in my ear, i like that. I also found the soundstage and the instrument separation is more accurate on Momentum. thus the general SQ for Momentum is more nature and enjoyable for me. 
Again, UE6000 is not totally burned-in. and I have only listened for less than 5 hours....I'll wear this shinny baby for about another 3-4 days and then I'll come back to make a final judgment.

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #679 of 3,594
Quote:
This does happen more than it probably should.

Of the new ~$300 tier of portable closed back headphones coming out, it sounds like the Sony MDR-R1 has the best chance of offering both.  I really liked a lot about the Z1000... and it sounds like the sound became more balanced and the build quality took a step back.

A V-MODA M100, Senn Momentum and Sony MDR-R1 comparison is in much demand I think.

+1 for this comparison

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #682 of 3,594
I bought the Momentum, and I really wanted to like it, and use it instead of my 7506.
However, while I really like the looks, they are simply not comfortable enough,

Still looking for a realtively small, idealy foldable, set of closed back, which I can carry arround.
Must be super comfortable, and would appreciate a mic on wire so that I won't have to take them off everytime that I get a call.
I'd settle for the sounds of the v7506, I am just sick of logging that long cable around anymore.

I THOUGHT that the Momentum would fit the bill, but it's a no go.
Waiting to check out the Sony 1R. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #683 of 3,594
For me, the Momentum is about the most comfortable portable headphone I've ever worn. They're extremely light, those soft leather pads are amazingly cushy, and the clamping force is just right for my head. I found the Sony more fatiguing to wear.

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #684 of 3,594
The Amperior was very uncomfortable for me and I could not wear it for more than 5mins.

In terms of sound, the bass is overemphasized and a little hard to hear the vocals clearly. I can understand some people will like it. It has the PRAT. But I find the Momentum to have the finesse and the ability to reproduce delicate moments very very well. For rock and techno, maybe the Amperior would work. For jazz, vocals, pops and others, I find the Momentum to have a strong edge.

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #685 of 3,594
Quote:
The Amperior was very uncomfortable for me and I could not wear it for more than 5mins.

In terms of sound, the bass is overemphasized and a little hard to hear the vocals clearly. I can understand some people will like it. It has the PRAT. But I find the Momentum to have the finesse and the ability to reproduce delicate moments very very well. For rock and techno, maybe the Amperior would work. For jazz, vocals, pops and others, I find the Momentum to have a strong edge.

What is PRAT?

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #687 of 3,594
Quote:

Can't be more agreed. I reach the similar conclusion between UE6000 (Active mode) and Momentum.  I thinks UE6000 is a perfect headphone for hard-core rock, watching movie and gaming. But for enjoying variety of music including jazz, folk, vocals, indie even some rock tracks,  Momentum could produce much more balanced and accurate sound.

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #688 of 3,594
Quote:
When you take the leather and stainless steel construction of the Momentum into account I don't think they're that overpriced at all. A $300 price point would be better, but at $349US it's far from a rip-off. The other headphones it's being compared to in this thread are mostly plastic.

How do you feel about the price being $399 in Canada, when the Canadian dollar is now the same or higher value than it's US counterpart? I guess that would qualify as a rip-off, no?

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #689 of 3,594
Quote:

How do you feel about the price being $399 in Canada, when the Canadian dollar is now the same or higher value than it's US counterpart? I guess that would qualify as a rip-off, no?

I'd just call it overpriced. IMO it's not a $400 headphone. Rip-off? No, because you don't have to buy one. If you feel it's price to performance ratio doesn't meet your standards there are other options.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #690 of 3,594

Users who are viewing this thread

Back