Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Oct 26, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #528 of 3,594
I'd say Momentum for Jazz/Classical or any slowish music, HD25 or Amperior (improved HD25) for Pop/Rock or fast pace music. It depends on what you listen to most.

If you mean more "fun" by more "energetic", probably the Amperior. The sound is fairly straight-up and mids are loud and clear, with lesser soundstage than the Momentum. The Amperior is a bit more comfortable when compared to the old HD25-ii because the fabric on the ear cups are similar to HD700/800 type of material unlike the unbreathable fabric on the HD25-ii. But the noise-blocking is a bit less than the HD25-ii due to the material as well. But overall, Momentum is still much more comfy than the HD25s on long sessions.

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #530 of 3,594
Quote:
The Momentum having isolation as well as SE535 and soundstage of HD800 are somewhat a far stretch because I have them. The HD25 Amperior isolates better than the Momentum.
The Momentum is a comfy pair, but isolation is just above average, assuming SE535 and HD25 are very good since one is an IEM and the latter, a clamping DJ headphone. Soundstage-wise, it's more toward the HD650 line, and its clarity is more HD700. HD800 soundstage is somewhat far-off... because the HD800s have way bigger soundstage.
smily_headphones1.gif

The 535 isolates at -37dB.

That's like shooting range worthy.

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #533 of 3,594
So I got them demoed yesterday in a big Media Markt called German retailer store. I was ready to purchase them right away, but the ear cups are simply very small. I knew from that point on that  these cans will always remind me that I wear them and that is a no go for me. That is why I sold the DT1350. For people with smaller ears they will be comfortable I believe. They are very well made and the leather even smell very nice. The sound was a little soft directly from my Ipod Classic, but they where brand new. I think that will change later after burn in. I also noticed that they did not play as loud as I expected so a proper amp is needed.

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #535 of 3,594
Terrific review, many thanks. I'd love to pick up a pair of these and am curious if anyone knows of a reputable retailer who offers discounts for something like buying a pair of Momentums and a pair of Sennheiser Model 598s.

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #536 of 3,594
Now that I have over 600 hours of play with the Momentum, mostly with the Grace M903, my take is that the burn in effect is slight.
If you do not love it at the store, you probably will not after some time.

I purposely listened to my HD800 over the last few days using the Grace and last night switched back to the Momentum.
A level of 68 with the HD800 is equivalent to 58 with the Momentum on my Grace.
The soundstage is clearly larger with the HD800.  There is simply more space defined inside your head and more in front of your face with the HD800.
Now, for those who never heard the HD800, you will enjoy the effects of the Momentum as the imaging is terrific, it's akin to a great car stereo.  More so Lexus and Mercedes S class.

One thing I did noticed was that the HD800 is rather comfortable, even as it's like 3 times heavier.

Oct 27, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #537 of 3,594
Quote:
Now that I have over 600 hours of play with the Momentum, mostly with the Grace M903, my take is that the burn in effect is slight.
If you do not love it at the store, you probably will not after some time.

I purposely listened to my HD800 over the last few days using the Grace and last night switched back to the Momentum.
A level of 68 with the HD800 is equivalent to 58 with the Momentum on my Grace.
The soundstage is clearly larger with the HD800.  There is simply more space defined inside your head and more in front of your face with the HD800.
Now, for those who never heard the HD800, you will enjoy the effects of the Momentum as the imaging is terrific, it's akin to a great car stereo.  More so Lexus and Mercedes S class.

One thing I did noticed was that the HD800 is rather comfortable, even as it's like 3 times heavier.

For anyone who considers Momentum to have terrific imaging and likes the sound, I would be remiss if I didn't at least suggest auditioning the M-100 when you can before making a final decision if deciding between the two.  I bought both.  Momentum went back to Best Buy and the M-100 is my current portable and reference headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back