Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Sep 28, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #271 of 3,594
Quote:
I listen to my music 90% of the time on the go, so that's why soundstage/imaging is important to me. So far two cans I've come across that I'd put in the same category as the Momentum in regards to portability and style, are the M-80 and TMA-1 - both of which have pretty decent soundstage and imaging. So it kind of blows to hear that a $350 circumaural from Sennheiser would not have any imaging capabilities. *shrug*

The soundstage opinions on these vary, so it's probably best to listen and judge for yourself.  I am more concerned about the bass and opinions vary so much regarding the bass on these that I have no idea how I will perceive them until I try them out.

The D600 actually has an extremely wide soundstage for a closed can.

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #272 of 3,594
That's what I was thinking - that sooner or later I would end up trying them myself.

As far as the new Denons, I'm kind of underwhelmed by them in general. But I'll read up on the D600 anyway just out of curiosity. I just find them kind of hideous and I feel that Denon has gone in some not-so-great directions in the last couple years (eg: Discontinuing the D1000/D1001 and replacing it with the D1100, which was a downgrade IMO).

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #273 of 3,594
John Falcone of Sennheiser USA announced, six hours ago on Twitter[1], that the MOMENTUM's are now available for sale[2].

[1] http://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA/statuses/251766942283747328
[2] http://sennheiserusa.com/MOMENTUM

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #274 of 3,594
roma, you should give these a shot.  I am a portable guy like you and these are much more engaging to hear than either M80 and TMA's.  The M80's are close but these kill it in treble response.  The bass might be bigger also but not in a bad way.  The TMA's darn right sound muddy compared.  The stage to me in not small and is on par or better than both M80 and TMA from memory.  Instrument separation, depth sound superb also.  I think you need to get some more feedback from other reviewers also to come to any definite conclusions.  From my experience with other portable headphones, these gotta be one of the better sounding ones I've heard.  

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #275 of 3,594
Thanks Danny, that sounds very promising especially in comparison with the M-80 and TMA 1. With that in mind I'm definitely looking forward to reading more impressions and giving them a listen.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #276 of 3,594
I have TMA-1s from work, HD280 pros, and IE8s to compare it to in that "general" range. I suspect it will be the best of the bunch.

Sep 29, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #279 of 3,594
... these are much more engaging to hear than either M80 and TMA's.  The M80's are close but these kill it in treble response.  The bass might be bigger also but not in a bad way.  The TMA's darn right sound muddy compared.   

Reflexes my experiences with The Momentum vs M-80 vs TMA-1: The Momentum has the best highs of these 3.
It also has more room than the TMA-1 and I might think about using it for other genres than EDM while that would be no option with The TMA-1.

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #281 of 3,594
Just took the momentum on a plane ride. I am the bass boost was excellent in helping drown cabin engine hum.

Sep 29, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #282 of 3,594
Been looking for some good portable headphones, I've been recommended AKG K550 and Sony MDR-Z1000. I listen to hardcore/metal on AAC files, hopefully getting a Fiio E7 soon. Can anyone tell me how the Momentum compares?

Sep 29, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #283 of 3,594
Quote:
Been looking for some good portable headphones, I've been recommended AKG K550 and Sony MDR-Z1000. I listen to hardcore/metal on AAC files, hopefully getting a Fiio E7 soon. Can anyone tell me how the Momentum compares?

Much comes down to personal taste, so I would suggest trying before you buy or at least purchasing where you can return, preferably without a restocking fee.  I personally don't like the K500.  Sony has a new model coming out called the MDR-1.  Momentum could be a good option if you prefer a somewhat bass heavy sound.  Also, new headphone lines coming- Yamaha Pro, AKG Tiesto as well as V-Moda M-100 which may hold the world's record for most prerelease forum posts ever for a headphone.

Sep 29, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #284 of 3,594
Quote:

The K550 is a great headphone, I own one, but I really don't understand how anyone can use it as a portable can.  It is HUGE!  Not to mention the 10 foot cord...  

Personally, I don't like the Momentum for metal.  To me it feels as though some of the mid-range detail gets a little muddled.  

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #285 of 3,594
Quote:
Much comes down to personal taste, so I would suggest trying before you buy or at least purchasing where you can return, preferably without a restocking fee.  I personally don't like the K500.  Sony has a new model coming out called the MDR-1.  Momentum could be a good option if you prefer a somewhat bass heavy sound.  Also, new headphone lines coming- Yamaha Pro, AKG Tiesto as well as V-Moda M-100 which may hold the world's record for most prerelease forum posts ever for a headphone.

The MDR-1 and M-100 looks really awesome, I'll have to hold out until I read some reviews on them. Any idea what the prices on them are yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back