Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Sep 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #257 of 3,594
Quote:
OT: as much as I like the sound of the K550 -- they are too big for me for use on the go. No problem taking them with me tough: they fold flat.

And yes: I consider the K550 to be more true to the source than the Momentum.

I would agree with this.  I also have a K550, and the biggest disappointment with it is the fit.  If you get it to sit just right it sounds pretty good, but the cup size is such that it makes it difficult to place properly and stay placed when moving around.  If they could have shaved a half inch off the diameter of the cup, this may have been a completely different conversation...

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #258 of 3,594
Quote:
I thought I looked pretty dashing with them on, but then again I do look like Brad Pitt so...

Boo, I want to see them on someone's head! I seriously haven't found a single picture.

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #259 of 3,594
Quote:
Boo, I want to see them on someone's head! I seriously haven't found a single picture.

Sorry about the non-serious answer, but they do look really nice on the head. Better looking than the DT1350s or the Z1000 and of course LCD-2/HE-500 monsters. I would say it even has more style than the HD650s. The vain side of me wanted to keep these just for the looks alone. You'll have yours tomorrow so just wait 24 hours and you'll have your answer. Please post pictures of them on the head for the community if you so choose to contribute.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #260 of 3,594
Quote:
I don't have it by me at the moment to do any critical analysis, but the sound stage (as I recall it) was surprisingly large considering the closed back.  The decay was quite fast and I think this added to the spaciousness.

I must add that I felt like there was barely any soundstage, not much width or depth and the decay I thought was pretty standard affair for $300+ headphone, right around HD598 and those are like $250. So I guess I really don't agree with anything HeadphonesCom is saying, haha. Sorry.
wink.gif
 (Don't be angry)

Edit: imaging was non-existent as well, although there was decent seperation.

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #262 of 3,594
well, I'll have a pair tomorrow and can tell you how they compare to the HD800s on my desk in terms of imaging, hah

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #263 of 3,594
Quote:
well, I'll have a pair tomorrow and can tell you how they compare to the HD800s on my desk in terms of imaging, hah

They'll get slaughtered. Haha. But honestly the whole point of these headphones is that they're mobile and that they isolate very well and are comfy while giving near audiophile sound (Stylish too). I honestly never thought soundstaging or imaging was important when it comes to heaphones. Speakers: Yes. Headphones? not really (for me at least). The only one that does a great job is the HD800, every other headphone kind of sucks at it.

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #264 of 3,594
Quote:
I must add that I felt like there was barely any soundstage, not much width or depth and the decay I thought was pretty standard affair for $300+ headphone, right around HD598 and those are like $250. So I guess I really don't agree with anything HeadphonesCom is saying, haha. Sorry.
wink.gif
 (Don't be angry)

I agree, imaging is lacking; but for me I prefer the intimate sound when traveling... kinda takes you away from the hustle and bustle of the environment.

Where I disagree is on the decay and subsequent layering; I found it to be excellent.

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #266 of 3,594
Quote:
They'll get slaughtered. Haha. But honestly the whole point of these headphones is that they're mobile and that they isolate very well and are comfy while giving near audiophile sound (Stylish too). I honestly never thought soundstaging or imaging was important when it comes to heaphones. Speakers: Yes. Headphones? not really (for me at least). The only one that does a great job is the HD800, every other headphone kind of sucks at it.

Of course. Honestly, there's a high chance I'll keep these for myself and use them when I'm out and about and not doing any critical listening. 

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #267 of 3,594
Quote:

I agree, imaging is lacking; but for me I prefer the intimate sound when traveling... kinda takes you away from the hustle and bustle of the environment.

Where I disagree is on the decay and subsequent layering; I found it to be excellent.

Only 1 way to tell, someone send a pair over to the pirates for CSD measurements!

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #268 of 3,594
Subscribed.  I'll be really interested to see how these stack up to the MDR-1R - which could be a huge winner if it's indeed a tweaked Z1000

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #269 of 3,594
Quote:
wink.gif
 (Don't be angry)

you can't compare an open back with a closed back with regard to soundstage.  they are world's apart.  regarding the imaging being nonexistent, I disagree with this.  I'm viewing this as a portable over-ear option, not as a contender for Sennheiser's new $350 flagship.  For $400 you can get the HD600.  The HD600 outperforms the Momentum in every regard, but they are for entirely different applications, with different needs, aesthetics and purposes.

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #270 of 3,594
I listen to my music 90% of the time on the go, so that's why soundstage/imaging is important to me. So far two cans I've come across that I'd put in the same category as the Momentum in regards to portability and style, are the M-80 and TMA-1 - both of which have pretty decent soundstage and imaging. So it kind of blows to hear that a $350 circumaural from Sennheiser would not have any imaging capabilities. *shrug*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back