Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Sep 26, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #241 of 3,594
Quote:

What more needs to be said? Looks like Sennheiser hit one out of the park. Quick! Everyone go buy one so we can really get this hype-train started!
evil_smiley.gif

Gold Rogers ?

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #243 of 3,594
has anyone posted head pics yet? Curious to see what they look like on.

Bought the ones posted for sale and THEN found out my new coworker gets dealer discount from Senn. I'm okay with it though :)

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #244 of 3,594
Quote:

I didn't think that the K550 was suitable for portable use. I figured it to be too big and bulky. And I've found AKG's (501, 701) are normally rather loose fitting cans

The k550 are actually surprisingly light and are easily manipulated.  It's even loser then other AKGs I've tried before.

Quote:
So would you say Momentum's resolution is comparable to the HD650?

Quote:
Nope! Definitely lower resolution/plankton. Even slightly lower than the HD598, but just slightly.

I don't know I found the resolution acceptable after I dialed down the bass via EQ.  The bass emphasis definitely over shadows the clarity, but once the bass was dialed down, I found that the momentums did have the 'typical' smooth Sennheiser mids with great layering.  But bare in mind the momentums are closed cans so the sound stage and 'air' would be more intimate which may give the impression of low resolution.

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #245 of 3,594
Quote:
 I found that the momentums did have the 'typical' smooth Sennheiser mids with great layering.  

I agree with this. But that bass is just bothersome... (for me)

But bare in mind the momentums are closed cans so the sound stage and 'air' would be more intimate which may give the impression of low resolution.

I'm aware of this. I think I can differentiate between air and resolution. It's not hard. I agree there is reasonable amount of resolution (I said this I believe), just not as much as the cans I mentioned in my comparison (Z1000, DT1350), and not even approaching HD650. Close to 598 is how I would describe the plankton. Which is reasonable and perfectly fine except for spoiled Planar Magnetic brats.
wink.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #247 of 3,594
Quote:
I thought I looked pretty dashing with them on, but then again I do look like Brad Pitt so...

no, you look like that dood in your avatar =P j/k

by the way, hows your z1000 compared with the momentum?

edit:

just read what you posted on the previous page, but please give more info =) thanks!

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #248 of 3,594
Quote:
Can anybody do a comparison between TMA-1s and Momentums :) 

Just a few words as I did not extensively compare the two:
The Momentum seems softer (more like the P5) but has 'normal' highs vs. the TMA-1 cut off just above 8kHz and are somewhat coarse with the sound being only in your head (i.e. no space).
At the lower end the Momentum seems to offer a bit better resolution, though both are a bit too fat. Extension could be better on both.

Keep in mind that I only use them with EDM (and not Vocal House at that :wink:, so I do not care much about things I'm looking for when using speakers (where I mainly listen to classic, jazz and older rock), so while I do prefer more neutral sounding headphones like the DT1350 the Momentum is fun to listen to and quite well suited to my mobile taste.

Should I want to listen to other genres than EDM choosing between those two headphones I'd pick the Momentum over the TMA-1 any time. Not to say there aren't better solutions available...

Nevertheless I'd consider the TMA-1 to be more robust... which is definitly a plus for its intended (DJ-) audience.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #249 of 3,594
Quote:
Just a few words as I did not extensively compare the two:
The Momentum seems softer (more like the P5) but has 'normal' highs vs. the TMA-1 cut off just above 8kHz and are somewhat coarse with the sound being only in your head (i.e. no space).
At the lower end the Momentum seems to offer a bit better resolution, though both are a bit too fat. Extension could be better on both.

Keep in mind that I only use them with EDM (and not Vocal House at that :wink:, so I do not care much about things I'm looking for when using speakers (where I mainly listen to classic, jazz and older rock), so while I do prefer more neutral sounding headphones like the DT1350 the Momentum is fun to listen to and quite well suited to my mobile taste.

Should I want to listen to other genres than EDM choosing between those two headphones I'd pick the Momentum over the TMA-1 any time. Not to say there aren't better solutions available...

Nevertheless I'd consider the TMA-1 to be more robust... which is definitly a plus for its intended (DJ-) audience.

Thanks Plakat! I'm on the same page with you about mainly EDM with the TMA-1's. You convinced me to keep mine and not get the Momentums :)

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #250 of 3,594
I just ordered the AKG k550 headphones. Will I be disappointed? I currently have M50, HD550, and an Omega Claro Halo XT (with amp) sound card. Should I have gone for the momentum instead? It looks very nice and I plan on using my headphones for portable and home use.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #251 of 3,594
We had a little more time to audition the Momentum.  It's first time we all unanimously agree about a headphone.  What we've basically agreed on is that currently the Momentum is the most impressive over-ear portable currently on the market.  While it does sound like a Denon headphone in some ways, it has a bit more midrange forwardness than that of the D1100.  It is one of the least grainy (if not THE LEAST) grain portable headphone options at its pricepoint.  The thing that really blows our minds is that the design is really a step up.  It looks no less impressive than a very expensive Ultrasone, but its something that I can actually travel with.  Hopefully, I'll be acquiring these shortly and have the chance to sit and review them very carefully.  I thought my headphone buying days were over....sadly there's always a new one.  Or maybe not so sadly:)....I would love to have a portable option like this.

-David

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #252 of 3,594
Quote:
We had a little more time to audition the Momentum.  It's first time we all unanimously agree about a headphone.  What we've basically agreed on is that currently the Momentum is the most impressive over-ear portable currently on the market.  While it does sound like a Denon headphone in some ways, it has a bit more midrange forwardness than that of the D1100.  It is one of the least grainy (if not THE LEAST) grain portable headphone options at its pricepoint.  The thing that really blows our minds is that the design is really a step up.  It looks no less impressive than a very expensive Ultrasone, but its something that I can actually travel with.  Hopefully, I'll be acquiring these shortly and have the chance to sit and review them very carefully.  I thought my headphone buying days were over....sadly there's always a new one.  Or maybe not so sadly:)....I would love to have a portable option like this.

-David

Only a bit? :xf_eek: I absolutely hated the distant sounding mids on D1100, even something like XB500 seemed almost mid-forward in comparision. :xf_eek:

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #253 of 3,594
Quote:
I just ordered the AKG k550 headphones. Will I be disappointed? I currently have M50, HD550, and an Omega Claro Halo XT (with amp) sound card. Should I have gone for the momentum instead? It looks very nice and I plan on using my headphones for portable and home use.

OT: as much as I like the sound of the K550 -- they are too big for me for use on the go. No problem taking them with me tough: they fold flat.

And yes: I consider the K550 to be more true to the source than the Momentum.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #254 of 3,594
Quote:

-David

I appreciate the feedback on Momentum and am very curious to try them for myself as I favor a bass emphasized sound that also provides very good to excellent vocal clarity.  I am also curious what will happen to Momentum's status from your perspective once the M-100 is available for review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back