Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Sep 16, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #63 of 3,594
I was one of those people who pulled the trigger on the Momentum from razordogdeals; impressions will hopefully be posted later this week.  While the Momentum isn't my preferred sound signature (based on Jude's review), and seems to be less oriented to classical music than I'd like, I'm glad that I have an idea of what I'm getting myself into now and won't be surprised later on.  I do hope they will at least sound clear and engaging.  If that's the case, and given the touted comfort factor, they may be a great travel and work headphone.  I guess one could always dial-down the bass if need be.

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #64 of 3,594
Quote:
the sound is very nice...but in fact,i still like the Monster Studio

You do mean Beats right?  Monster has not had much to do with Beats for some time now...

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #65 of 3,594
This review is making the temptation to buy the Momentum so unbearable. But there is still yet more headphones to come these coming months.
I must ignore this temptation and wait!
ph34r.gif

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #66 of 3,594
Sennheiser testing the bassy waters now!!! interesting (though the beats by dre heads gonna still say sennheiser has no bass), and finally they have made a killer closed can thats over $300 , rip d2000 

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #67 of 3,594
How does Momentum's sonic signature compare with that of Ultrasone Edition 8?
The description (differences from DT 1350, etc.) makes me think that those two may share some traits.

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #68 of 3,594
It's interesting to hear Jude note that a flat spectrum which gives the highs due emphasis can be unhealthy in transit.  I've advocated that idea on Head-Fi and elsewhere for nearly a decade.  If people aren't careful about volume levels and the duration of their daily listening in transit, the result can be hearing loss and the din of a ceaseless high pitch.

I noticed this years ago with the discontinued Etymotic Er-6 and posted there should be tastefully tuned travel headphones which compensate for people's tendency to max the volume and harm themselves. They're looking for the bass which is masked by the rumbling and roaring of urban life, not a permanent handicap.

What's interesting is that everyone now seems to understand this idea. 

The other way to approach the problem is to create a maximum volume setting for travel and use your loudest track to determine it, then accept that, if you can't hear your music while traveling, then you should turn it off until you can.

It remains to be heard whether the Momentum is a reasonable compromise that can be enjoyed once you reach your destination as well as during the ride. If they're only satisfying to some of us for urban/mass transit use, then they would seem to be an audible fashion accessory and gorgeous part-time ear warmer for those who prefer a more analytical sound.  

I'm not saying that everyone should prefer that sort of sound.  I'm only saying that I do, and that I'd hoped the Momentum would sound a bit more like the HD-25s but with an increase in quality that justifies the higher price.

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #69 of 3,594
Quote:
...I'd hoped the Momentum would sound a bit more like the HD-25s but with an increase in quality that justifies the higher price.

You just described the Amperior. As to whether or not it justifies the price increase, that is up to each individual to determine. But it is clearly a better HD-25.

A one night stay at a hotel the bay area, average hotel, not a 5 start is $120. So, all things in perspective. $150 for increase in quality on something that can be enjoyed for years is justified to me.

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #70 of 3,594
Thanks a lot for the review, I've been waiting eagerly for this one.

How would you compare the comfort between the HD800 and the Momentum since the Momentum has so much less weight? I personally own the HD800 and use them a lot and I'm very happy with the comfort although they are not super lightweight. After a few hours straight listening through these they are still very comfortable, however, you do notice them. Is the Momentum even way more comfortable than the HD800?

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #71 of 3,594
Quote:
You just described the Amperior. As to whether or not it justifies the price increase, that is up to each individual to determine. But it is clearly a better HD-25.

A one night stay at a hotel the bay area, average hotel, not a 5 start is $120. So, all things in perspective. $150 for increase in quality on something that can be enjoyed for years is justified to me.

Rob: 

Thanks for the recommendation and analogy.

I learned about the Amperior's sound when I tried them for about an hour at the Apple Store last month.  I enjoyed them but remained unconvinced they represented an improvement that justified the expense.  Nor did the construction seem different enough from the original HD25 (metal cups notwithpressing). 

I'll consider buying them when either the price point descends to my economic pain threshold, or my income reaches the level that allows me to stay in hotels in Milan and Genoa, where I'll enjoy my glinting Amperiors in monastic silence.

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #72 of 3,594
Quote:

Rob: 

Thanks for the recommendation and analogy.

I learned about the Amperior's sound when I tried them for about an hour at the Apple Store last month.  I enjoyed them but remained unconvinced they represented an improvement that justified the expense.  Nor did the construction seem different enough from the original HD25 (metal cups notwithpressing). 

I'll consider buying them when either the price point reaches what I consider to be a reasonable value, or my income reaches the level that allows me to stay in hotels in Milan and Genoa regularly.

I think in October they'll be distributed by other sellers. That may increase the chance of us finding a good deal on the Amperior, though Sennheiser has become so much stricter with their pricing. 

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #75 of 3,594
Scrypt, nice post
smile.gif
- I mostly agree.

I actually took my Amperior back to the Apple store for a full refund just before my two weeks was up. It was the best closed on ear I've heard, but I figured I'd wait and see how the competition pans out, then buy whatever seemed best. And to be honest, I came to the conclusion that my interest was just because I wanted a new shiny toy and didn't really need another phone. My Ety ER4S (amped) and Ety HF3 (unamped) is doing all the "to go" work better than all the closed portables anyway. My hope was that the Momentum would be a neutral, somewhat reference closed phone, but Jude's review indicates it not only misses the "reference" mark, it also seems like a simple bass monster. So, all in all, my wallet remains happy and untainted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back