Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
May 31, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #3,091 of 3,594

Oh, many thanks, learned something new. Thinking about it, it makes perfect sense, I should have figured that out myself, that it's not the same as the old volume sliders in the path...

Cheers,
K

I just took out my Momentum Around Ears and tried them on my US Samsung GS3 Phone. As expected the Volume buttons didn't work. The middle button paused/played, etc but the micrphone didn't function. Soundwise all is well. It works perfectly on my iPod Touch 5G.

May 31, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #3,092 of 3,594
Thanks for all of the responses. So far, I have used these phones for about three hours and really like them. Sound is similar to the DT-1350s except that the Momentums have more bass. I have had not problem jogging with them and they are feeling more comfortable.

Justinto

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #3,094 of 3,594
I tried the Sennheisers at an Apple store in the UK a few days ago when over for a friend's wedding. Just as a prerequisite and another reason why I rarely if ever am interested in Apple products, the store clerk had no idea what any of the specifications of the headphone was, yet still seemed to think it was clever to guess and sound informed. Most of the time he guessed wrong. Anyway, the comfort on the Momentums was the only reason for trying them out as that is the most polarizing and controversial aspect to them. I knew the sound was going to be impressive, and it was, but the comfort, that's an interesting discussion.

These are not 'around the ear' headphones despite their moniker and the actual 'on-ear' version. They are planted firmly ON TOP of my ears and stay there. I don't know anyone with ears small enough for these earcups, but maybe they're out there. Despite this, however, they are not uncomfortable, seal surprisingly well and feel relatively secure. The isolation is excellent for an 'on-ear' headphone and the pads are warm, soft and breathable. The clamping force was pretty much perfect, and the lightness meant they never felt obtrusive. This was a surprise and they are back on my radar as a potential purchase. I do have the Sony MDR-1R's for portable use, though, so I probably won't bother with them as I usually only wear IEM's when out and about. For home use such as gaming, listening to music, and watching movies, I have my AKG K550's, and I'm happy with them.

That were very sturdy, lightweight, sounded balanced and didn't have the overt thickness of the Sony's or the slightly lacklustre bass of the K550's. I liked them a lot, but I don't know how they would fare for long periods of listening at home where I mostly use headphones. I think I can do without them, to be honest.

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #3,095 of 3,594
Quote:
   I don't know anyone with ears small enough for these earcups, but maybe they're out there.

Not maybe... they're definitely out there. (and here)

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #3,099 of 3,594
I wonder, do the people who complain about comfort issues try to tuck their ears inside the cans completely, or wear them on-ear?
I had the Momentum On-Ears for a couple of months and found them quite uncomfortable, my ears would get stingy after an hour or two of use. Also the sound quality was a bit lackluster. Anyway, sold them to my sister and got the Momentum over-ears instead. In comparison, over-ears are much more comfortable and the sound quality is absolutely gorgeous.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #3,100 of 3,594
I wonder, do the people who complain about comfort issues try to tuck their ears inside the cans completely, or wear them on-ear?
I had the Momentum On-Ears for a couple of months and found them quite uncomfortable, my ears would get stingy after an hour or two of use. Also the sound quality was a bit lackluster. Anyway, sold them to my sister and got the Momentum over-ears instead. In comparison, over-ears are much more comfortable and the sound quality is absolutely gorgeous.

Ooh, sounds like you don't like your sister.
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #3,101 of 3,594
Haha, she loves them so it's a win-win situation. I'll just keep her away from the good stuff and she'll never know. :D

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #3,104 of 3,594
Just want to add my 2 cents about the Momentum On-ears. For people with smaller ears the sound sig is quite a bit different due to the fit. My ears are completely engulfed in the Momentums but the for MOE they (minus the lobes) can actually fit inside. For me the MOE fit like how the Momentums fit people with larger ears. Not saying that they are uncomfortable, because they are extremely comfortable, even with glasses. Anyway, using Accudio with the balanced settings for the Momentum, the MOE sound inf-ingcredible! In fact, the MOE have superior  'space' in comparison to the Momentums. To my ears anyway.

Looking at the curves, they are pretty similar. However graphs don't tell the whole story, people's ears do. YMMV. In my opinion, the differences is contributed to the cup size and materials used in the padding.

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #3,105 of 3,594
Yeah, I don't understand why there's a couple of posts here and there bashing the on-ear momentums, for the price, they fit right in with the consumer-bass headphones offered by other companies, and by comparison put out a very decent sound. 
I felt the over-ears momentums offered more 'air', but the on-ears had a wider stage, but it wasn't very voluminous stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back