Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Feb 13, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #2,941 of 3,594
In theory I would agree that common ground is not as good as separate one, but between these two grounds you've got only 2.2Ohm, you think that is enough to prevent crosstalk, because I don't really think so. You know 2 Ohms is nothing. IMHO it is more about you either should have two grounds, or one that is twice as thick.

I shoveled too much snow today to want to do any math right now but my educated guess is that when it comes to crosstalk a 1 ohm resistance forming an attenuator in the network with 18 Ohms headphones is substantial. Even 0.5 Ohms seems like too much. I'll do the math another day, but my gut instinct says don't do this. My 38 Ohms HE-500 cans have separate ground wires as well, so does my HD600's (300 Ohms) and .......... There must be a reason that so many good cans keep separate ground wires.

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #2,942 of 3,594
Can you just detach the ear cushion and replace one? Just like what V-moda do.

Technically that is possible but not sure what is suitable to replace them with.

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #2,944 of 3,594
I shoveled too much snow today to want to do any math right now but my educated guess is that when it comes to crosstalk a 1 ohm resistance forming an attenuator in the network with 18 Ohms headphones is substantial. Even 0.5 Ohms seems like too much. I'll do the math another day, but my gut instinct says don't do this. My 38 Ohms HE-500 cans have separate ground wires as well, so does my HD600's (300 Ohms) and .......... There must be a reason that so many good cans keep separate ground wires.

It's not that I don't agree, but in case of Momentum, which are low power portables I don't think I would care about such details. With Alpha Dog I do care about every detail. I am thinking about going fully balanced, but it costs some money to get decent results. So my point is with higher end cans you would care, with lower end (Momentum is great, but it's not LCD-2 - we would all agree, yes?) cable might not be as important part, especially not separate ground. But maybe it's the case I use Momentums very rarely recently...

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #2,945 of 3,594
It's not that I don't agree, but in case of Momentum, which are low power portables I don't think I would care about such details. With Alpha Dog I do care about every detail. I am thinking about going fully balanced, but it costs some money to get decent results. So my point is with higher end cans you would care, with lower end (Momentum is great, but it's not LCD-2 - we would all agree, yes?) cable might not be as important part, especially not separate ground. But maybe it's the case I use Momentums very rarely recently...

Momentums are not bad cans and there's no reason to introduce more crosstalk when not necessary.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #2,946 of 3,594
Hate to get off topic but i saw these at canada computers and couldnt help notice that the cables on the blk momentum on the box are black and not red. I read in the forums here distinguishing real from fake, and it would seem this would be a "fake" This cant be fake right ??this is a retail store, a popular one at that i canada.

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #2,948 of 3,594
Tom that is the Brown version. If you go to an NCIX location you will see the same thing. By the way which Canada Computers location was this?

I'm afraid that's incorrect.
The packaging of the Black Momentum is actually just wrong. There is a red cable inside with the headphone, but whoever designed the packaging either felt that black looked better, but more likely, someone screwed up the design.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #2,951 of 3,594
Canada Computers wouldn't sell a fake or counterfeit momentum especially not at their main lcation. They are also an authorized dealer for Sennheiser Canada. There is two different box designs for the momentum's. In the photograph we see there it is for the Brown version. The black version has a completely different box design. Take a closer look at tbe box and you will see that the headphones have color. The fake momentum boxes just have the color in black and not a hint of green as depicted here.

I wouldnt think so but i figured id post here just to get confirmation, maybe help others in the future. The momentums are so popular that their fakes being made after them, haha take that beats! :)

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #2,952 of 3,594
Canada Computers wouldn't sell a fake or counterfeit momentum especially not at their main lcation. They are also an authorized dealer for Sennheiser Canada. There is two different box designs for the momentum's. In the photograph we see there it is for the Brown version. The black version has a completely different box design. Take a closer look at tbe box and you will see that the headphones have color. The fake momentum boxes just have the color in black and not a hint of green as depicted here.

A very large Japanese Electronics chain is having problems with Japanese brand Sony headphones because they are actually manufactured in China and supposedly assembled in Japan so...made in Japan. They had a customer service notice mentioning Pioneer, Senn,AKG, AT and Sony. The supply chain had been corrupted. I don't think Canada Computers would sell fakes knowingly but it's not as secure a system as you might think.

A Crime Org can do 1 of 2 things

1. Go into business copying a brand , be it a bag or set of headphones. Make them cheaper and try to sell it more expensive but less than originals attracting uneducated buyers ( a dime a dozen)

2.Go into business copying a brand , be it a bag or set of headphones. Intercept products at shipping docks (China) and steal the authentics and switch with imitations. Resell authentics to a bulk purchaser or the same vendor. 

You make money on both ends in #2 and the Beats copies were so good at one point it was clear that the same factory was producing them without authorization. They actually were Beats but slight variations of color and boxing were picked up by otakus and spread across the net. Beats were faked ,they were also some with the same drivers and internals but labeling and cosmetics did them in. 

China.... is a deal with the Devil and as Japan migrates contracts and workers over to China their product chain is being corrupted. 

I live in Japan.  Very quality driven over here. They are having to do more and more business with their neighbor because the middle class is too expensive to support and labor in China is infinitely cheaper for brands like Sony. China, a less quality driven neighbor that has lots of geo-political tensions with it's neighbor/ business partner.

Don't assume anything.

Just saying.

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #2,954 of 3,594
I took a look at my box earlier for the brown version of the Sennheiser Momentum and it looks exactly the same as the one you have in the picture. If you would like I can take a photograph of both the Brown and Black versions for comparisons.

That would help the community a great deal, like im all for buying for authorized sellers but if u can get it cheaper why not right ( obviously if u see it for like 100$ theres a problem)

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #2,955 of 3,594
Mine are up on the bay wasn't impressed at all compared to my goldring ns1000 they have slightly more detail but that's about it very similar sounding actually and the ns1000 cost £50-£60 not £260.

They have a nice crisp warm mid rangy punchy sound with plenty of details reminds me of my ie6 under comply tips as well, but the ns1000 does all that too.

Think i'll buy me some phillips fidelio x1 next, mometums are good but just aren't worth the price tag they should be around £100-£130 not £260 that's just mental.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back