Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Feb 1, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #2,911 of 3,594

Do you know how long it took for V-moda to bring out the x-large pad?
Just curious. I don't expect Sennheiser to do it, and they certainly havn't shown any sign of it in the past 14/15 months since the Momentum has been around.

The only problem is that the Momentum earpad is already fully vented on the inside, and if it gets any shallower, that will radically affect sound and comfort (and I mean that in a bad way
wink.gif
).
They would have to create an earpad that actually goes out further than it's current circumference, which would look ugly. I don't think Senn is prepared to do that. Would be hilarious if they did though... but then people wouldn't shut up about how ugly they look 
biggrin.gif

Then Sennheiser has only one course of action remaining, an ear shrinking kit.
biggrin.gif

If I had a cent for every time I wanted to tell people to shut up and get plastic surgery...
Too many people saying the Momentum is cr*ppy because THEIR ears are too big 
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #2,912 of 3,594
  If I had a cent for every time I wanted to tell people to shut up and get plastic surgery...
Too many people saying the Momentum is cr*ppy because THEIR ears are too big 
evil_smiley.gif

I guess Ross Perot wouldn't care for them.

Feb 2, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #2,913 of 3,594
Has there been any news on the bigger-size Momentum that we heard about in August 2013. CES only showed the Ivory colored over-ear version and it is the same size. To be honest as well I don't like the look of the Ivory colored over-ear version. Perhaps they should make the David Bowie version a full-production version instead of a UK only version.

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #2,915 of 3,594
  Has there been any news on the bigger-size Momentum that we heard about in August 2013. CES only showed the Ivory colored over-ear version and it is the same size. To be honest as well I don't like the look of the Ivory colored over-ear version. Perhaps they should make the David Bowie version a full-production version instead of a UK only version.

I highly doubt it. I didn't hear anything about a bigger-sized momentum summer 13 either. I would imagine that was just speculation/wishful-thinking, nothing official.

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #2,918 of 3,594
I just got this upgrade cable for Momentum. I believe I hear difference in bass region, which may be understood as this cable is thicker than stock one, so less energy is wasted. However it might be placebo. Anyways I like the looks of it and the fact I paid for it really next to nothing!

How is thicker going to waste less energy and by how much? I think you hit it on the head when you  said that "it might be placebo." This stuff is easy science, Ohms Law and power equations. Now it looks nice, has good metal jacks and if it matches the picture it's a much better built cable.

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #2,919 of 3,594
Yeah.. I'm pretty sure they sound better, they must because cable is more bling :D
Anyways dunno, the original cable is quite thin, and maybe too thin, who knows... placebo is also possible :cool:
You know, it's not that simple. What if I tell you that Ohm law works statistically and for mathematical models and not real dynamic systems. It is normal practice to take at least 20% thicker cable, simply because you cannot trust 100% the maths. There is plenty more phenomenons that occur in real life, that your mathematical model does not take into account, and this is why taking thicker cable gives you more assurance. It is not an easy task to say how thick is thick enough. Let's say you calculated that your wire should be 0.3mm thick, but if you use 0.6mm thick cable you will be more assured that whatever other things there are that you haven't taken into account in your calculations will be covered. Yes these other things may not matter much, but still 0.3mm is result for ideal cable and without these other things. So even tinny change will make choice of 0.3mm too thin. Choosing 0.6mm you are covered, and this is why you would want to buy thicker cable, and the thicker the better up till some moment which is not necessarily known and not an easy thing to calculate. By taking 100% thicker cable you just assume that Ohm law is what matters most, and sum of all other effects is definitely less. By taking exact thickness cable you just ignore that there are these other things, and there will be moments when sound quality will suffer because of that. You may or may not notice that degradation, but still it is something mathematically expected to happen.

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #2,920 of 3,594
Yeah.. I'm pretty sure they sound better, they must because cable is more bling
biggrin.gif

Anyways dunno, the original cable is quite thin, and maybe too thin, who knows... placebo is also possible
cool.gif

You know, it's not that simple. What if I tell you that Ohm law works statistically and for mathematical models and not real dynamic systems. It is normal practice to take at least 20% thicker cable, simply because you cannot trust 100% the maths. There is plenty more phenomenons that occur in real life, that your mathematical model does not take into account, and this is why taking thicker cable gives you more assurance. It is not an easy task to say how thick is thick enough. Let's say you calculated that your wire should be 0.3mm thick, but if you use 0.6mm thick cable you will be more assured that whatever other things there are that you haven't taken into account in your calculations will be covered. Yes these other things may not matter much, but still 0.3mm is result for ideal cable and without these other things. So even tinny change will make choice of 0.3mm too thin. Choosing 0.6mm you are covered, and this is why you would want to buy thicker cable, and the thicker the better up till some moment which is not necessarily known and not an easy thing to calculate. By taking 100% thicker cable you just assume that Ohm law is what matters most, and sum of all other effects is definitely less. By taking exact thickness cable you just ignore that there are these other things, and there will be moments when sound quality will suffer because of that. You may or may not notice that degradation, but still it is something mathematically expected to happen.

What if I told you that we never successfully landed a man on the moon and all of the Apollo spacecraft crashed because Ohms law didn't work correctly and some of the wires should have been 0.6mm thick even though all of their calculation said 0.3mm thick and they went with their calculations.
Part of engineering is to calculate with tolerance specifications, so your theory about a tinny change is not going to happen, especially with Sennheiser, or NASA.
At this point you own the cable so lean back, listen to the music and enjoy the bling. 
wink.gif
 It looks nicer.

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #2,921 of 3,594
Part of engineering is to calculate with tolerance specifications, so your theory about a tinny change is not going to happen, especially with Sennheiser, or NASA.

It all probably depends on department both for NASA and Senns. I believe HD800 are very well engineered product, the same as I believe rocket engines are, but there are still other products at lower price levels, and I'm not sure about their engineering quality. Anyways, the main reason I bought this cable is that I thought I have lost original one, but then I actually found it behind the couch.

When I was buying Momentum I looked at reviews, specs and graphs, and I have auditioned them, and just loved the sound. Before I used HD570's, which I thought sounded very very good. But when I heard Momentum I realized how much better sound can be. Half year later I got my first orthos and I realized how much more the sound can improve, and it made me think it can keep improving further with more and more expensive gear. Now I am wondering about electrostats, and I'm pretty sure when I hear them I will forget about my orthos. This is crazy!

BTW Bling makes things sound better, you know... It's probably that sound behaves differently in bling gear :D

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #2,922 of 3,594
It all probably depends on department both for NASA and Senns. I believe HD800 are very well engineered product, the same as I believe rocket engines are, but there are still other products at lower price levels, and I'm not sure about their engineering quality. Anyways, the main reason I bought this cable is that I thought I have lost original one, but then I actually found it behind the couch.

When I was buying Momentum I looked at reviews, specs and graphs, and I have auditioned them, and just loved the sound. Before I used HD570's, which I thought sounded very very good. But when I heard Momentum I realized how much better sound can be. Half year later I got my first orthos and I realized how much more the sound can improve, and it made me think it can keep improving further with more and more expensive gear. Now I am wondering about electrostats, and I'm pretty sure when I hear them I will forget about my orthos. This is crazy!

BTW Bling makes things sound better, you know... It's probably that sound behaves differently in bling gear
biggrin.gif

Yep, I use my HD600's and HE-500's far more than my Momentums. If I need some isolation I reach for my Momentums. I just like the sound of open backs much more than closed. So now you're pondering getting a new car, a Stax $r-009. After that and the amp, the price is getting close to a small car.

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #2,923 of 3,594
Yep, I use my HD600's and HE-500's far more than my Momentums. If I need some isolation I reach for my Momentums. I just like the sound of open backs much more than closed. So now you're pondering getting a new car, a Stax $r-009. After that and the amp, the price is getting close to a small car.

I'd say you are almost there, I am pondering selling my car and getting Invicta :D

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #2,924 of 3,594
I'd say you are almost there, I am pondering selling my car and getting Invicta
biggrin.gif

I miss my 1985 Mustang GT. That was the last year they had a 4 Barrel Holly Carb. The Carb was so big that if you took off the air cleaner you could put your head in it, like in a Lion's mouth. I spent too much money on tires, especially after the upgrade to the camshaft, etc.

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #2,925 of 3,594
I miss my 1985 Mustang GT. That was the last year they had a 4 Barrel Holly Carb. The Carb was so big that if you took off the air cleaner you could put your head in it, like in a Lion's mouth. I spent too much money on tires, especially after the upgrade to the camshaft, etc.

Ohhh, I had an '01 Eclipse for few years... I miss it as well... Especially it's 3 liter V6... But I wish I had your Mustang :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back