Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Jan 23, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #2,866 of 3,594

Still thank you for your sharing. But I'm talking about the ivory over-ear one which is just shown in CES.

Oh right - sorry!
This is identical to the brown and black. Differences are just aesthetic.

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #2,867 of 3,594
I was recently abroad and can confirm that Momentums work quite well in aeroplanes too. I was listening via ipod nano 7g without any extra amplification on moderate volume levels, and outside noises were blocked very efficiently.

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #2,868 of 3,594
Maybe a stupid question, but are you fully inserting the cable and twisting clockwise to lock the connector?

I am on to my 3rd pair with the same issue. The fact is the locking mechanism starts losing it's ability to maintain the lock in place, the cable moves and over time, static starts appearing with movement. I love these cans and can't bring myself to replacing them with something completely different for portable use.

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #2,870 of 3,594
I am on to my 3rd pair with the same issue. The fact is the locking mechanism starts losing it's ability to maintain the lock in place, the cable moves and over time, static starts appearing with movement. I love these cans and can't bring myself to replacing them with something completely different for portable use.

This was an issue I had with my first pair of Momentums. I returned them and got another that was much more snug. However, it was like walking on eggshells trying to be extra gentle with this part of the assembly. Of course, there really should be little reason to keep messing with this. Still, I'm surprised how "flimsy" this part was compared to everything else.

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #2,871 of 3,594
I'm having a problem similar to the earlier poster - I just received these and they're very slightly louder / more pronounced on the left side, which is very irritating. I've tried changing cables and sources etc. and the problem seems to remain. Has this been an issue with anyone else?

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #2,873 of 3,594
This was an issue I had with my first pair of Momentums. I returned them and got another that was much more snug. However, it was like walking on eggshells trying to be extra gentle with this part of the assembly. Of course, there really should be little reason to keep messing with this. Still, I'm surprised how "flimsy" this part was compared to everything else.

Glad I'm not alone. Don't get me wrong, I treat my cans with care too, they are in pristine condition, but this is obviously their point of failure. Even worse, they are adopting this same mechanism in their new line just announced. Surely the returns they are receiving should have woken them up. Their mistake for using a special plug. They should have done what V-Moda did, standard plug and connection.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #2,874 of 3,594
Glad I'm not alone. Don't get me wrong, I treat my cans with care too, they are in pristine condition, but this is obviously their point of failure. Even worse, they are adopting this same mechanism in their new line just announced. Surely the returns they are receiving should have woken them up. Their mistake for using a special plug. They should have done what V-Moda did, standard plug and connection.

But maybe they use the special for quality reason or for making the ear cup smaller?

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #2,875 of 3,594
Hello !

I'm new on Head Fi, and I have same problems like you, right side seems to have more power than the left side... I think the best way to clearly see the difference beetween right side and left side is to put the sound in Mono. I tried that and right side have obviously more power than left side :frowning2:

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #2,876 of 3,594
Hello !

I'm new on Head Fi, and I have same problems like you, right side seems to have more power than the left side... I think the best way to clearly see the difference beetween right side and left side is to put the sound in Mono. I tried that and right side have obviously more power than left side
frown.gif

Reverse the headphones to make sure it isn't your hearing. No joke, I have a friend that wasn't aware of having earwax in one ear that was affecting his hearing. A quick trip to the doctor and he was back in business. Not likely, but worth a quick flip of the headphones.

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #2,877 of 3,594
Yes ! I exactly did that (reverse the headphones) but if I do that it is in the left ear the sound is louder (so the right side is louder) : it has more power so reversing the earphones confirms that is not my earing but Momentum's problem.

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #2,878 of 3,594
  There is certainly a noticeable difference in sound quality between the original black brown (over-ear) Momentum, and the new ivory (on-ear) model.
I found the mid-bass to be too pronounced and slightly bloated. Also I felt the resolution was slightly lacking, but only in comparison to the original.
At it's price-point, it's still OK. You can do better for sound for the money, but not necessarily combined with good looks and decent portability. 

If you plan to take them out into very noisy environments, the ivory one might actually be better, as they have a bigger bass presentation, which is needed when surrounded by noise as our perception of bass is the first thing to disappear on a busy street or aeroplane. 

interesting findings! did anyone notice any AUDIBLE  differences between the original brown and the black ones?? 

i'm really digging the black ones, cause of the matte finish looks amazing and looks like it would feel amazing (never actually tried it but i did try the brown,it has a sort of a glossier/metallic sheen to it) and i find the black ones easier to accessorizes with my clothes. plus the striking red cables and sticking is quite nice

the brown is very classy! a bit to classy for me, but its definitely a breath of fresh air compare to all the other black blobs (headphones out there), i'm more of a youthful dresser, and i'm relatively young (21) so id rather say youthful as long as i can =) hahaha

but it seems like everyone on these forums have the original brown ones unless otherwise stated, correct me if i'm wrong 

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #2,879 of 3,594
  interesting findings! did anyone notice any AUDIBLE  differences between the original brown and the black ones?? 

i'm really digging the black ones, cause of the matte finish looks amazing and looks like it would feel amazing (never actually tried it but i did try the brown,it has a sort of a glossier/metallic sheen to it) and i find the black ones easier to accessorizes with my clothes. plus the striking red cables and sticking is quite nice

the brown is very classy! a bit to classy for me, but its definitely a breath of fresh air compare to all the other black blobs (headphones out there), i'm more of a youthful dresser, and i'm relatively young (21) so id rather say youthful as long as i can =) hahaha

but it seems like everyone on these forums have the original brown ones unless otherwise stated, correct me if i'm wrong 

An AB/X test is out of the question. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #2,880 of 3,594

He's comparing the over-ear vs the on-ear, essentially...not the colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back