Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Dec 23, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #2,777 of 3,594
And to answer your question, these are closed cans so don't expect them to have the soundstage of a good pair of open backed cans. They do have a decent soundstage.

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #2,781 of 3,594
Jan 1, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #2,783 of 3,594
Hey guys,

I got the momentums as birthday present a while ago. So far I'm liking the sound and bass of the phones. I'm coming from a sennheiser HD 439s and these are obviously way better.

I combined my momentums with mg fiio e11 amp on low gain with a eq setting of 2 on a ipod toch gen 2. I'm using the straight cable.

This doesn't always happen but on some songs I tend to hear a bit of static while music is playing and when its paused then it ends up going away after. Also, these dont have much bass as others have been saying in this thread to me but I like it like this. Dont like bass that blow my ears.

Anyways Is the static normal? Is it from the amp? I did burn in the phones so maybe I ruined something or am I being paranoid?

Thanks,

Jake

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #2,784 of 3,594
Hey guys,

I got the momentums as birthday present a while ago. So far I'm liking the sound and bass of the phones. I'm coming from a sennheiser HD 439s and these are obviously way better.

I combined my momentums with mg fiio e11 amp on low gain with a eq setting of 2 on a ipod toch gen 2. I'm using the straight cable.

This doesn't always happen but on some songs I tend to hear a bit of static while music is playing and when its paused then it ends up going away after. Also, these dont have much bass as others have been saying in this thread to me but I like it like this. Dont like bass that blow my ears.

Anyways Is the static normal? Is it from the amp? I did burn in the phones so maybe I ruined something or am I being paranoid?

Thanks,

Jake

Perhaps the wire between your touch and the e11 is the problem. Jiggle the wires and see if there's a correlation. If you're worried about your cans, try them on something else.
One usually turns up the volume all the way on the source and uses the control on the amp. Does the touch have a line out?

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #2,785 of 3,594
Perhaps the wire between your touch and the e11 is the problem. Jiggle the wires and see if there's a correlation. If you're worried about your cans, try them on something else.
One usually turns up the volume all the way on the source and uses the control on the amp. Does the touch have a line out?

Yeah, I would say try the Mos directly to your iPod.

If you read a few pages back, I had some static issues with mine and it ended up being a connection issue between the cable and the headphone itself. I could create a static sound when turning/screwing the jack too tight.

I got a replacement and it didn't have that issue.

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #2,786 of 3,594
Yeah, I would say try the Mos directly to your iPod.

If you read a few pages back, I had some static issues with mine and it ended up being a connection issue between the cable and the headphone itself. I could create a static sound when turning/screwing the jack too tight.

I got a replacement and it didn't have that issue.

If the problem is with the jack on the iPod Touch he could be mislead to think it's the cans. That's why I suggested that he try them on something else.

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #2,787 of 3,594
I tried them on my android phone but I can't recreate the static with or without the amp itself like it does on the I touch. Android phones usually have a sub par amp/DAC built in the phone. I haven't heard the static in a while. Hopefully it went away for good. Just don't want it to be a problem in the long run.

One more question guys. Since android phones don't have a line out like iPhones and itouches have. How do you guys necessarily control the volume? Do you control it on the amp itself or the phone? Such as, putting the phone volume half way then controlling the amp volume to whatever your desired level is ? Or vice versa ? Trying to get a handle on it and what's the best way. It sucks that android phones don't have a line out :frowning2: .

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #2,788 of 3,594
If the problem is with the jack on the iPod Touch he could be mislead to think it's the cans. That's why I suggested that he try them on something else.

Oh good point.

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #2,789 of 3,594
I tried them on my android phone but I can't recreate the static with or without the amp itself like it does on the I touch. Android phones usually have a sub par amp/DAC built in the phone. I haven't heard the static in a while. Hopefully it went away for good. Just don't want it to be a problem in the long run.

One more question guys. Since android phones don't have a line out like iPhones and itouches have. How do you guys necessarily control the volume? Do you control it on the amp itself or the phone? Such as, putting the phone volume half way then controlling the amp volume to whatever your desired level is ? Or vice versa ? Trying to get a handle on it and what's the best way. It sucks that android phones don't have a line out
frown.gif

A Samsung Galaxy S3 can get a lineout by a special cable, just as an iDevice. I control the volume at the amp. In fact I use a USB DAC and Amp with my phone, absolutely wonderful. It can drive my Momentums, HD600's or HE-500's.

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #2,790 of 3,594

Yep. Using the Fiio L9 with my iTouch. I control the volume with my amp and not the iTouch itself.

A Samsung Galaxy S3 can get a lineout by a special cable, just as an iDevice. I control the volume at the amp. In fact I use a USB DAC and Amp with my phone, absolutely wonderful. It can drive my Momentums, HD600's or HE-500's.

Do you mind telling me what that special cable is and where I could get it in Canada? I was going to get the Fiio L2 to use with my phone.

I have Google Nexus 4, do you know if it has the lineout like the Samsung GS3 does?  I read online that android phones usually don't have a lineout. I though about using a 3.5mm jack to a microusb but i guess that wont work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back