Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Dec 15, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #2,746 of 3,594

the portable headphone market is saturated by bass boost. The Momentums had the smallest bass boost (not counting the AKG K550) out of all the portable closed headphones I've tried in the $300 bracket... and I tried basically everything. of course, there are a few newer models out that I haven't gotten my hands on yet, but I doubt they would be less bassy than the Momentums.

I guess you haven't tried the DT1350 or the Mikros 90.  

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #2,747 of 3,594

I guess you haven't tried the DT1350 or the Mikros 90.  

hahah... sorry, closed, portable, over-ear only. so no, i haven't tried those. i guess i should have specified. on-ear are really uncomfortable for me to wear.

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #2,748 of 3,594
  hahah... sorry, closed, portable, over-ear only. so no, i haven't tried those. i guess i should have specified. on-ear are really uncomfortable for me to wear.

Yeah...these are not circumaural. 
smile.gif

I wonder how the bass of the HP50 compares to the one of the Momentum.  Have you heard that model?

Dec 15, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #2,749 of 3,594
Dec 15, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #2,751 of 3,594
I just got some from another awesome head-fier and have been using them for a while. I can safely say that these are wonderfully built with an exceptional exterior. In terms of sound I enjoy them quite a lot, but the detail is less than that of a similar product such as the dt1350, and the bass can be overbearing. Ultimately, these are some great headphones but the MSRP is a bit steep for what you get. 

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #2,753 of 3,594
  Thinking about picking up a pair but I am wondering how the Momentum earpads compare to the ATH-M50s earpads size wise?

Thanks

http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones#post_9204250

the earpads are real leather and really nice soft material. unfortunately, the dimensions are smaller most other headphones. this makes for a very sleek pair of headphones, but you may find that the over-ear model is more on-ear for you if you have big ears. how that effects comfort depends on how sensitive you are. a lot of ppl say these are really comfortable, but some ppl do complain about comfort. you gotto try em out to see i guess. best buy carries them & they have a great return policy.

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #2,754 of 3,594
  I just got some from another awesome head-fier and have been using them for a while. I can safely say that these are wonderfully built with an exceptional exterior. In terms of sound I enjoy them quite a lot, but the detail is less than that of a similar product such as the dt1350, and the bass can be overbearing. Ultimately, these are some great headphones but the MSRP is a bit steep for what you get. 

I think they have decent detail, just it is not artificially boosted like on beyers with the big treble spike around 10khz.

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #2,755 of 3,594

I think they have decent detail, just it is not artificially boosted like on beyers with the big treble spike around 10khz.

Ouch.... A while ago I picked up a pair of Klipsch S4a on sale for $70 based upon some good reviews. Yuck, they have a horrible peak around 6 Khz which drove me crazy, so I don't listen to them as they nasty and are fatiguing, Besides I have a pair triple armature BA IEMs (XBA-3) that sound good but has a small treble emphasis, no nasty spikes.

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #2,756 of 3,594
  Ouch.... A while ago I picked up a pair of Klipsch S4a on sale for $70 based upon some good reviews. Yuck, they have a horrible peak around 6 Khz which drove me crazy, so I don't listen to them as they nasty and are fatiguing, Besides I have a pair triple armature BA IEMs (XBA-3) that sound good but has a small treble emphasis, no nasty spikes.

I meant that the Beyers have a treble spike not the Momentum.

Dec 21, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #2,758 of 3,594
http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones#post_9204250

the earpads are real leather and really nice soft material. unfortunately, the dimensions are smaller most other headphones. this makes for a very sleek pair of headphones, but you may find that the over-ear model is more on-ear for you if you have big ears. how that effects comfort depends on how sensitive you are. a lot of ppl say these are really comfortable, but some ppl do complain about comfort. you gotto try em out to see i guess. best buy carries them & they have a great return policy.

I gotta ask because I'm curious, what's best buy's return policy in the US with headphones? In Canada they and many other retailers are ridiculous, all headphones are final sale due to 'hygiene' problems. You know, the same reason (understandably) you can't return opened underwear. It's insane because if you get something you don't like, you're out of luck.

Dec 21, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #2,759 of 3,594
Anyone else's momentum the thread under the headband nearest to the steel coming out of the seams?
Seems it's easy to come out even though I was careful. Could be due to adjusting the headphones while wearing it on the head..

Dec 21, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #2,760 of 3,594
I gotta ask because I'm curious, what's best buy's return policy in the US with headphones? In Canada they and many other retailers are ridiculous, all headphones are final sale due to 'hygiene' problems. You know, the same reason (understandably) you can't return opened underwear. It's insane because if you get something you don't like, you're out of luck.

you get a 15 day return window if you don't lose the receipt & original packaging. they do open everything up to check it out, so the item has to be in new condition.

hahaha... that really sucks in canada. are there any stores w/ demo stations? in asia & singapore where I live, all items were final sale no refunds lol, so it's at least better than that eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back