Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Dec 14, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #2,731 of 3,594
Yep ok I meant in terms of size / weight and shape, the momentums sort of thin and small whereas the Shure are big and chunky. Momentums are indeed well built yes. Was not aware the shures had issues with cracking hinges etc.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #2,732 of 3,594
I thought that the srh940 was chunky and tanky at first until the cracks started to appear. Then it was apparent when I deconstructed it that the design is flawed because thin plastic pieces hold the support for quite a few key areas. Even the jack leading into the earcup has contact problems now.

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #2,735 of 3,594
  Does anyone think Momentum has too much bass?

To me it seemed very very bloated.

IMO the On-Ears have too much bass, the Over-Ears have ample bass or a tad boosted. Hey, we're not talking Beats.
eek.gif

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #2,737 of 3,594
  IMO the On-Ears have too much bass, the Over-Ears have ample bass or a tad boosted. Hey, we're not talking Beats.
eek.gif

I think this. The Momentums Over-Ears has a slight bass boost, but it's tiny compared to most alternative consumer headphones on the market now.

Otherwise they sounded pretty good to me for the price, but the bloated bass ruined it for me, so I didn´t pull the trigger. Really looking forward hearing the NAD VISO HP50 someday.

I think if your momentum over-ears are too bassy for you, your only choice is to go for real "audiophile-grade" or studio headphones. Something like the AKG K550 or perhaps the Sennheiser HD600 that try for the flattest possible frequency response.

personal opinion of course.

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #2,738 of 3,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD 

eek.gif

I think this. The Momentums Over-Ears has a slight bass boost, but it's tiny compared to most alternative consumer headphones on the market now.

I think if your momentum over-ears are too bassy for you, your only choice is to go for real "audiophile-grade" or studio headphones. Something like the AKG K550 or perhaps the Sennheiser HD600 that try for the flattest possible frequency response.

I said ample, not bloated, so I like them. By the way, I also have the HD600's which I really love, although they have a flatter bass response, when you push the sub bass with EQ it results in a tighter better bass than the Momentums. Of course the HD600's really need a touch of amping due to the 300 Ohm impedance and the need for a higher voltage swing.

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #2,739 of 3,594

I have AKG K550 and HD600. Their ok. At the moment I´m just looking little more bass (with closed cans), like HD650 bass for example (but with more treble&air).

I also have TH900 which has really boosted bass, but I think Momentum has even more, so it´s too much for me. TH900 is the max bass amount I can take.

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #2,740 of 3,594

I have AKG K550 and HD600. Their ok. At the moment I´m just looking little more bass (with closed cans), like HD650 bass for example (but with more treble&air).

I also have TH900 which has really boosted bass, but I think Momentum has even more, so it´s too much for me. TH900 is the max bass amount I can take.

holyyy flying monkey hellll.... that is legit $2,550 worth of headphones you are holding onto right now.

how are you not happy w/ the TH900 + AKG K550 + HD600??? those are 3 amazingggg headphones. The $1,500 TH900 especially, that is like my dream headphones! ...and you sound so nonchalant & unimpressed by it. 
eek.gif
 how have you not found your end-game headphones already? isn't the TH900 considered to be one of the best closed headphones out there (along w/ the new Audeze LCD-XC and Beyer's T5p)? are you looking for a portable pair of headphones or something?

I've never tried the HD650, but I heard the HE400 sounds semi-similar w/ more bass & more treble. If Momentums have too much bass for you, you can probably get enough bass from open headphones. You can also consider the Audeze LCD series. They even recently made a closed pair, LCD-XC. If you are just going for closed, perhaps consider Alpha or Mad Dogs/Paradox. All you are missing from your expensive headphone collection is a pair of orthos lol.

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #2,741 of 3,594
  holyyy flying mokey hellll.... that is legit $2,550 worth of headphones you are holding onto right now.

how are you not happy w/ the TH900 + AKG K550 + HD600??? those are 3 amazingggg headphones. The $1,500 TH900 especially, that is like my dream headphones! ...and you sound so nonchalant & unimpressed by it. 
eek.gif
 how have you not found your end-game headphones already? are you looking for a portable pair of headphones or something?

I've never tried the HD650, but I heard the HE400 sounds similar w/ more bass & more treble. If Momentums have too much bass for you, you can probably get enough bass from open headphones. You can also consider the Audeze LCD series. They even recently made a closed pair, LCD-XC. If you are just going for closed, perhaps consider Mad Dogs/Paradox. All you are missing from your expensive headphone collection is a pair of orthos lol.

Nope you got me wrong. I love the TH900! :)

I´m just looking portable closed cans with great sound. :) Momentums were almost it! But too much bass for me.

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #2,742 of 3,594

Nope you got me wrong. I love the TH900! :)

I´m just looking portable closed cans with great sound. :) Momentums were almost it! But too much bass for me.

I would recommend installing an EQ :wink: hahah i'm just joking, but from what I remember the Momentums had less bass than the Audiotechnica's M50. I think you're going to have to direct your search towards a lower price bracket actually and look at the older studio monitoring headphones from shure/sony.

the portable headphone market is saturated by bass boost. The Momentums had the smallest bass boost (not counting the AKG K550) out of all the portable closed headphones I've tried in the $300 bracket... and I tried basically everything. of course, there are a few newer models out that I haven't gotten my hands on yet, but I doubt they would be less bassy than the Momentums.

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #2,743 of 3,594
  holyyy flying monkey hellll.... that is legit $2,550 worth of headphones you are holding onto right now.

eek.gif
 how have you not found your end-game headphones already? isn't the TH900 considered to be one of the best closed headphones out there (along w/ the new Audeze LCD-XC and Beyer's T5p)? are you looking for a portable pair of headphones or something?

I've never tried the HD650, but I heard the HE400 sounds semi-similar w/ more bass & more treble. If Momentums have too much bass for you, you can probably get enough bass from open headphones. You can also consider the Audeze LCD series. They even recently made a closed pair, LCD-XC. If you are just going for closed, perhaps consider Alpha or Mad Dogs/Paradox. All you are missing from your expensive headphone collection is a pair of orthos lol.

What is "end-game"?  The game never ends, it just simply keeps changing.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #2,744 of 3,594
  What is "end-game"?  The game never ends, it just simply keeps changing.  
smily_headphones1.gif

end-game = headphones that suit your personal preferences & check off all your requirements for your budget... of course, there is no such thing as a perfect pair of headphones, but there is definitely an end-game. of course, since there are no such thing as a perfect pair of headphones, some people need more than one pair of "end-game-ers" lol
you can totally win & end this audiophile game!!! 
L3000.gif

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #2,745 of 3,594
  end-game = headphones that suit your personal preferences & check off all your requirements for your budget... of course, there is no such thing as a perfect pair of headphones, but there is definitely an end-game. of course, since there are no such thing as a perfect pair of headphones, some people need more than one pair of "end-game-ers" lol
you can totally win & end this audiophile game!!! 
L3000.gif

I was being sarcastic...
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back