Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Feb 1, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #1,336 of 3,594
Quote:
Ok so i just measured my girlfriends ears, i bought her a pair of the momentums and she loves them. Lets clear up this ear business, i jsut measured her ears cause they fit beautifully in them and here are the measurements; 2 3/8  length wise and 1 3/8 in width wise. She has  cute little ears.

People who have ears that fit say they're fine.  People who have ears that don't say they're too small.  Ear business settled.  

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #1,338 of 3,594
oops     (me => 
deadhorse.gif
  <= also me)

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #1,340 of 3,594
Quote:
I found the iPhone control cable to give a very bad sound, when I plugged in the other cable, the difference was amazing.

I wouldn't go as far as say "very bad sound" as I enjoyed them out of the box starting with the pod cable.  I enjoy the controls with my touch.  But after I owned them for a couple of weeks I got around to swapping cables just to see what would happen and I have to say I hear a significant improvement with the straight cable.  The mids are more forward with greater clarity and a reduction in mid bass bloat.  I remember others reporting the same and making inquires with Sennheiser about this, but have yet to see their response.  Those who may initially be underwhelmed with them, be sure to try the straight cable before making final judgement.  I still use the pod cable from time to time for convenience, but use the straight for critical listening.  

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #1,341 of 3,594
Received today and straight out of my Ipod touch.

Ears = Fit, and I have fairly large ears (so the mirror tells me)
Sound = Highly impressed so far. 1 of my test tracks, Hiromi - Joy sounds fantastic, an easy track to render but puts me in a jazz bar rather than listening to jazz with my W4`s.

Early days and considering this is out of the box, unamped, I can`t wait to hear what they are like after X hours.

Good stuff.

Feb 1, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #1,342 of 3,594
Ok after reading some of the comments about the two different cables, I decided to AB them and I cannot for the life of me hear a difference. I'm playing .flac files through PlayerPro with the DSP plugin on my Galaxy S II. I wonder if it's simply not an issue on some devices or some people have defective cables. The only time I noticed a difference was if the cable wasn't seated right going through an extension lead (some adapters just don't like the extra long 3 tiered jacks, you have to not quite fully put the cable in.. Its very odd but either way I rarely need to use such an adapter due to these generally being for portable use).

It could just be my untrained ears, in which case could someone tell me specifically what to look for, or maybe a song its particularly noticeable in.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #1,344 of 3,594
Since the past month or so of having these Headphones and beginning the long rode to audiophilism, I have noticed that I now can hear things in real life I never seemed to hear(or at least take notice of) before. For example I now can hear sounds across my house that I never thought I was able to hear before(because of how far away those sounds are). Maybe It's just me taking a notice for sounds that I normally ignored.

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #1,345 of 3,594
Since the past month or so of having these Headphones and beginning the long rode to audiophilism, I have noticed that I now can hear things in real life I never seemed to hear(or at least take notice of) before. For example I now can hear sounds across my house that I never thought I was able to hear before(because of how far away those sounds are). Maybe It's just me taking a notice for sounds that I normally ignored.

Heh I've noticed the same thing. I pick up a lot more detail with these headphones, after I first noticed it I started to actively look for it but after a few weeks of that it seems to have had a permanent (positive) effect on how I listen to things and I'm naturally picking up on a lot more sounds now, and paying more attention to the timbre of various instruments.

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #1,346 of 3,594
Quote:

This isn`t as weird as it sounds (no pun).

Listening into the small hours I started to hear things in songs I didn`t know were there. Not the high end but as if things were being dragged up from the bottom end of a track., which I suppose you could say is the lower end of the mids?
I am not saying these are highly detailed, just that they seem to add something to a track. 

Considering this is a comparison to my well listened W4`s, which to me are highly detailed with great separation, this is a weird find but a good one at that.

14 hours burn in so far, not listened this morning yet. 
Although these are easy to drive, going through my C&C BH amp (via LOD) last night sounded great. I have only recently just got the amp as well and that was also more hours on that too. Very nice combo.

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #1,347 of 3,594
After months of lurking around here I finally got a pair. A refurbished pair (saved a cool $100). I was really underwhelmed when I first heard them. I was scared and hoped it wasn't because they were refurbished. I was listening straight out of my samsung s3. I have a fiio e17 but it was dead at the time. I am now listening to the momentums through the usb port connected to the fiio and I'm happy. They sound spectacular no matter what kind of music I throw at them. The bass is very sophisticated and not sloppy. I keep my Fiio at bass-8 and treble-6. And talk about comfort. it's like wearing pillows on my head. I will say that they sound boring without the amp.

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #1,348 of 3,594
Do people generally us an amp with these, and if so, does it make a difference?  I've always stuck to portable headphones because I'm too cheap to buy an amp :)  However I'm thinking maybe I will soon.  Maybe something like the HRT Microstreamer to use as a USB DAC/Amp.  I use them now with my desktop with ASIO output from an x-fi card with Jriver MC 18 player, which all sounds pretty nice in fact.  However, is is worth the $200 to get this rig, and if so, can I still use my settings with the player?

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #1,350 of 3,594
Another update,

I do not want to sound over the top but, @ 20 hours burn in connected to a very understated amp (C&C BH Line out 2) I have for the first time experienced a scenario where I really do not want to take them off.

Audio cohesive heaven with a wee punch along with the amp.

Really impressed, to the point of my W4`s will be redundant. I like the natural entry of sound in the ear which has a lovely sound-stage compared to inner ear.

Big grin here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back