Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Apr 24, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #3,001 of 3,594
Just picked a pair of these up off another head-fier. 

Must say that I am incredibly impressed. I had high expectations and these exceeded them.

Sound:

I wont repeat what most people have already said, the sound is phenomenal. The bass is ideal. I listen to a lot of rap although I have a very eclectic taste in music. While I enjoy rap, I have been jamming out to David Gilmour's Live in Gdansk, and it is euphoric. These can's deliver on sound in a big way.

As for things aside from sound that I can speak to:

Comfort:

I have a big head, hard to find a hat actually.I also have larger than normal ears. As I read countless reviews for these, everyone said the same disclaimer of "if you have larger than small/average ears, these might not work". I have a larger than average sized dome and larger than average sized ears. These things do no totally encompass every part of my ear, however that is not a knock on them. Their ear pads are very well designed, and as a result complete a fantastic seal. There is next to zero leakage all the way up to 75% of my volume. I generally listen at around 50%. On the flip-side, these phones isolate great, even if it isn't the "ideal" fit for my ears. When I first got these, I immediately put them on and started listening to them. During this process, I had accidentally jacked up the sound on my home TV with surround sound. I was sitting there listening to some Tool when my wife got home wondering why the TV was up so loud. I was jamming out on the cans, and I didn't hear the TV at all, which was on relative blast right in front of me.

Seriously, there are just something about these things that are incredibly comfortable. They have been ontop of my head for at least the last 6 hrs straight. Had to take them off a few times and what not for a minute here and there, but I barely feel them. The only sign of "fatigue" or "discomfort" from these headphones comes from the fact I wear glasses, and these do a better job than most in that regard.

Chord:

The chord with mic works partially with my android (Note 2 and Note 3, also tested on s4). I can answer and end calls, as well as pause and stop the music. The only things I cannot do are use the directional buttons for skipping or forward. The mic is fantastic, as everyone I have talked to says that it sounds like I am talking through my handset. The other one is just a standard chord.

Quick Rating:

Sound: 9.5/10 (Best headphone I've heard for all around music, I deduct half a point, because clearly there are phones out there that will get that last 5% of the sound out of the music)
Fit: 9/10 (Not a perfect over the ear, as they don't fully encompass, but they do isolate better than most and they sound and feel terrific as a result)
Comfort: 10/10 (Most comfortable pair of Can's I've owned in my life)

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #3,002 of 3,594
Just bought a pair of these for my soon to be arriving Fiio X5! Mmm, I wonder what's in store!
gs1000.gif

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #3,003 of 3,594
Beautiful music believe. That should be a match made in heaven

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #3,004 of 3,594
Beautiful music believe. That should be a match made in heaven

That's good to hear! Hopes are diminishing that it arrives today...... AVShops, (Amazon UK), have given me a three day window for delivery although it said Despatched last night. Crazy that they make you wait at home for up to three days for a Courier to deliver!!!! No shipping details at all even though I paid for express delivery!!

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #3,005 of 3,594
That's a FUBAR shipping system

Apr 30, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #3,006 of 3,594
After reading numerous reviews i recently purchased some Momentum over ear phones. None of the local stores had a pair available to actually listen to. But given the reviews, i was pretty confident they were exactly what I was looking for and so took the plunge and purchased sans any listening tests... What a blunder! And how is it that these cans are so well reviewed and yet be so awful?
The box is gorgeous as is the initial experience on opening it. Very luxurious. All down hill from there. I knew the cans were tight and in fact do fit (just) over my very average sized ears. Reasonably comfortable as well although the retro adjustment system is less than average. The more usual (and more effective) auto centralising system of just about every other headphone is preferable. Then there was the fact that the in-line controls are Apple only. Not a show stopper given they purportedly degrade the sound anyway. I plugged in and turned on expecting to be very impressed. Very disappointed maybe but certainly not impressed. Maybe most of the reviewers were cutting these phones some slack given they are designed primarily for portable use. On an absolute scale they are terrible! Bloated bass (not even close to balanced) and not very deep either. Muted midrange (although quite sweet) and recessed tops (again quite sweet) with little extension. They also are not very efficient given their design purpose i.e for portable use! The OMX980's thoroughly spank them in every area bar bass extension. My 7 year old Philips SMP895's thoroughly crush them in every area bar efficiency. What gives?!!! To everyone that reviewed these favourably, what on earth was your comparison? Sonically these are rubbish and when you take the purchase price into account i'm left speechless!
Needless to say these will be for sale very shortly. Shame i can't in honesty advertise them as a good sounding set of headphones!

Brodie

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #3,007 of 3,594
 To everyone that reviewed these favourably, what on earth was your comparison?

Portables in and around the same 'league'/use (comparing apples with apples)
Sony MDR-1R
PSB M4U
Bang & Olufsen H6
KEF M500
B+W P7
Beyerdynamic T51p
AKG K500
UE6000

My headphones at home (apples and oranges)
- see my Signature or look at my profile.

Everyone hears differently, that's all there is to it. We all have varying sizes of ears and ear-canals and our perceived flat-FR response (etc) can vary radically. 
Other headphones which are praised over the Momentum by others, like the P7, I just can't stand. I think they sound pretty bad for the price, and unnatural in some areas.
Then there's subjective personal taste which no matter what we do, will always influence any supposedly objective opinion of anything.

The Momentum is still my favourite full-size portable headphone in looks, sound, comfort and design.

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #3,008 of 3,594
Quote:

To everyone that reviewed these favourably, what on earth was your comparison? Sonically these are rubbish and when you take the purchase price into account i'm left speechless!

RUBBISH?? Not efficient?? Bad Frequency response?? I doubt I own the same headphone as you. Something must be wrong with yours.

Beyerdynamic: T90, DT880 
Sennheiser: Amperior, HD25-1, HD598, HD239, HD448, CX880, CX400ii
Shure SRH440, SE210
Hifiman: RE-400
Ultrasone: Pro 750
Yamaha: HPH200
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Xiaomi Pistons V2.1
Ultimate Ears: UE400, UE500
Superlux HD681B, HD668B, HD651, HD660, 681 EVO
Sennheiser Momentum (Scuderia Toro Rosso Edition)

Amps/DACs: Schiit Asgard, Valhalla, Bottlehead Crack (on loan, hopefully soon own one), nuForce icon HDP, Audioengine D3, Schiit Modi, Fiio E07K, Fiio D03, Muse USB mini-DAC

Comment: The Momentum are getting rave reviews generally. That of course doesn't mean you have to like them. However, since this is your FIRST post and you are blasting a specific headphone that is widely respected, there are a few options:

- you have a bad Momentum (or a fake one? there are quite a few out there) that is not representative
- you really don't like their signature, which would be very surprising but is totally OK
- the seal is not proper
- they are not driven properly (also surprising as they are very easy to drive)
- you want to troll (since this is your first post) - but I assume this is not the case

What's your source? What's your amp/dac? What songs/formats did you listen to?

Maybe there is an explanation. But in general they receive extremely good reviews. I also LOVE them and all the above headphones are in my collection and not sold, so do listen to a few every week for some hours and the Momentum managed to stay in my rotation since I got them. VERY comfortable, lovely sound signature to my taste, detailed but not harsh, a joy to listen to.

Cheers,
K

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #3,009 of 3,594
The only problem I've ever found with these is that the ear cups are very very small or an over ear. I have small ears but even then because I wear glasses they are uncomfortable.

Quote:

That's good to hear! Hopes are diminishing that it arrives today...... AVShops, (Amazon UK), have given me a three day window for delivery although it said Despatched last night. Crazy that they make you wait at home for up to three days for a Courier to deliver!!!! No shipping details at all even though I paid for express delivery!!

At least it isn't what we have here, a company called startrack. They left my Nexus 10 tablet on the ground on my side path up to the house, said it was signed for and delivered. It rained later that day and destroyed it before I could get home. He was no longer working for them 2 weeks later
normal_smile .gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #3,010 of 3,594
After reading numerous reviews i recently purchased some Momentum over ear phones. None of the local stores had a pair available to actually listen to. But given the reviews, i was pretty confident they were exactly what I was looking for and so took the plunge and purchased sans any listening tests... What a blunder! And how is it that these cans are so well reviewed and yet be so awful?
The box is gorgeous as is the initial experience on opening it. Very luxurious. All down hill from there. I knew the cans were tight and in fact do fit (just) over my very average sized ears. Reasonably comfortable as well although the retro adjustment system is less than average. The more usual (and more effective) auto centralising system of just about every other headphone is preferable. Then there was the fact that the in-line controls are Apple only. Not a show stopper given they purportedly degrade the sound anyway. I plugged in and turned on expecting to be very impressed. Very disappointed maybe but certainly not impressed. Maybe most of the reviewers were cutting these phones some slack given they are designed primarily for portable use. On an absolute scale they are terrible! Bloated bass (not even close to balanced) and not very deep either. Muted midrange (although quite sweet) and recessed tops (again quite sweet) with little extension. They also are not very efficient given their design purpose i.e for portable use! The OMX980's thoroughly spank them in every area bar bass extension. My 7 year old Philips SMP895's thoroughly crush them in every area bar efficiency. What gives?!!! To everyone that reviewed these favourably, what on earth was your comparison? Sonically these are rubbish and when you take the purchase price into account i'm left speechless!
Needless to say these will be for sale very shortly. Shame i can't in honesty advertise them as a good sounding set of headphones!

Brodie

I think they have their own character. They sound like that because they have a slight bass bump and lack in lower treble (energy region). They are certainly coloured to be mellow sounding but I don't think they do anything badly (no ringing peaks like some beyers have). I had similar impressions as you, as I listened mostly to energetic music, but I have found out that they sound really good with slower music. Also they have a pretty good soundstage (best I have ever heard, although I don't have a big experience with headphones). Maybe you should try to get used a bit to their sound signature.

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #3,011 of 3,594

Brodie

Maybe you bought a fake one? I use mine mostly on-the-go and they are very easily driven by Sansa Clip Plus and Galaxy S3 without extra amplification. Good isolation, semi-good comfort (can be worn for few hours without rest), and stellar sound quality (definitely not as good as my HD 650, but totally worth the 240€ I paid for them.)

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #3,012 of 3,594

Maybe you should try to get used a bit to their sound signature.

This is an important and often over-looked aspect of the psychology of headphone listening.
When going directly from a treble or mid-forward headphone to a bass heavy headphone, the bass heavy headphone can sound very boomy and bloated at first.
However after an hour or so, your ears get used to the sound and start hearing things differently. 

Then go back to the treble/mid-forward headphone and you find that it is piercing and uncomfortable to listen to. 

Of course it isn't always that simple (and the above statement is a massive over-simplification)  as there may be other factors to consider.

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #3,014 of 3,594

At least it isn't what we have here, a company called startrack. They left my Nexus 10 tablet on the ground on my side path up to the house, said it was signed for and delivered. It rained later that day and destroyed it before I could get home. He was no longer working for them 2 weeks later
normal_smile%20.gif

Try this:- I ordered an MSI GT70 Laptop, (£2100),18 Months ago from Amazon & they left in on my doorstep which is 2 ft from the main village road in the pouring rain WITHOUT getting a signature. I'm amazed it was still there when I arrived home. Needless to say the outer & Inner Box were soaked & the product promptly returned for a full refund! I bought an even better model from Overclockers! UNBELIEVABLE!
eek.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #3,015 of 3,594

RUBBISH?? Not efficient?? Bad Frequency response?? I doubt I own the same headphone as you. Something must be wrong with yours.

Beyerdynamic: T90, DT880 
Sennheiser: Amperior, HD25-1, HD598, HD239, HD448, CX880, CX400ii
Shure SRH440, SE210
Hifiman: RE-400
Ultrasone: Pro 750
Yamaha: HPH200
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Xiaomi Pistons V2.1
Ultimate Ears: UE400, UE500
Superlux HD681B, HD668B, HD651, HD660, 681 EVO
Sennheiser Momentum (Scuderia Toro Rosso Edition)

Amps/DACs: Schiit Asgard, Valhalla, Bottlehead Crack (on loan, hopefully soon own one), nuForce icon HDP, Audioengine D3, Schiit Modi, Fiio E07K, Fiio D03, Muse USB mini-DAC

Comment: The Momentum are getting rave reviews generally. That of course doesn't mean you have to like them. However, since this is your FIRST post and you are blasting a specific headphone that is widely respected, there are a few options:

- you have a bad Momentum (or a fake one? there are quite a few out there) that is not representative
- you really don't like their signature, which would be very surprising but is totally OK
- the seal is not proper
- they are not driven properly (also surprising as they are very easy to drive)
- you want to troll (since this is your first post) - but I assume this is not the case

What's your source? What's your amp/dac? What songs/formats did you listen to?

Maybe there is an explanation. But in general they receive extremely good reviews. I also LOVE them and all the above headphones are in my collection and not sold, so do listen to a few every week for some hours and the Momentum managed to stay in my rotation since I got them. VERY comfortable, lovely sound signature to my taste, detailed but not harsh, a joy to listen to.

Cheers,
K

When I tested them out from my Blackberry, I also thought they were not worth the 300 euro price tag for their sound quality.

While they were detailed and had an airy sound to them, the vocals sounded a bit unnatural and harsh. And I know it's not the fault of the recording or my phone, because on my other headphones it sounds good.

My previous 80 euro AKG K540 sounded better than them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back